SS Zombi 2 Specs

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by dwatts, Jun 23, 2004.

1. Big Bobby D

Big Bobby D Guest

I've never owned or even seen the quality to a Blue Underground dvd- but they seem to be a cool company releasing rare and obscure flicks to dvds (usually with tons of extras) But I own 3 Shriek Show dvds and really enjoy them, both quality wise and supplemental wise. I own Burial Ground:Knights Of Terror, Zombie Holocaust (a.k.a. Dr. Butcher M.D.) and Flesheater (a.k.a. Revenge Of The Living Zombies) They all have great special features and the quality is very superior to the old vhs versions - I've seen/owned vhs versions to all 3 titles. The only problem I've had with any of my Shriek Show discs is that the menus to Burial Ground suck... really bad. Instead of scrolling down or selecting what you want from the menus, you have to type in 01 or 02 on your dvd remote. And on the Flesheater dvd, the soundtrack/stills gallery starts to repeat itself. And why does Shriek Show never have audio commentaries? Still, I'm very happy with my Shriek Show discs, despite a couple of small flaws and complaints and I will definetaly be buying the 2 disc special collector's edition of Zombie from Shriek Show. The only problem is is that they have been saying they were going to release this film as a special edition for a few years now, so will it truly being coming to dvd store shelves in a month?

2. Jimbo

Jimbo The Bloodstained Shadow

Every company will have it's flaws from time to time.But as for BU's (sodamania)At least they recognized the problem and have corrected it.SS on the other hand ,Example (blood of the zombie)is miss framed big time and they have no intention of fixing the problem.In fact i have e mailed them countless times about this problem and never have gotten one response.
    I am not down on the company personally,They have put out some nice disk's,But they should at least adress the problem and replace it with a new disk.
    But in the case for Blood of the zombie(It sucks anyway). :fucked:

3. FulciZombieFan

FulciZombieFan New Member

Concerning the Orson Welles screen grabs ...

I'm sorry but I am fairly expert at MPEG encoding and there is no WAY that the 2nd picture (the middle picture) came from the same source UNLESS someone really fooled around BIG TIME with contrast/brightness etc.

The first and third pictures are somewhat close but again I doubt the same source because of the EXTREME differences in contrast/brightness.

Something MORE THAN bitrate is at play here.

Using too low of a bitrate will cause MPEG artifacts and using a lower than standard resolution will create a "soft" look and loss of some detail BUT bitrate alone nor resolution change can account for the differences in these pictures.

Most likely all were different sources or more mucking around (such as contrast/brightness etc.) was performed.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman

4. Smartt

Smartt Guest

VERSUS does. Two audio commentaries, btw.

5. Smartt

Smartt Guest

Someone screwed up BIG BIG BIG time, not only with the compression, but also with the contrast and brightness. But I can guarantee, for a fact, that both copies were struck from the exact same source - a Digital Betamax copy of a PAL VHS.

6. You can't squeeze blood from a stone. There comes a point when when some defects cannot be fixed.

The transfer was personally supervised and approved by the cinematographer, Steven Poster. It was approved by the director, Gary Sherman. The transfer isn't "too" anything. By the only estimations that matter, it's exactly the way it should be. If you think it looks bad, that's certainly your prerogative, but BU did their job right.

Your expectations seem to be just a tad unrealistic. You want what you deem to be perfection without any regard for either the condition of the materials or the desires of the filmmakers concerning proper presentation. If you want pristine-looking and -sounding DVDs, stick to films made in the last year or two.

DJ

7. ArrowBeach

ArrowBeach Active Member

in agreement here , i too will buy the SS edition, for extras are nice, and i dont have a top of line tv anyway so as long as it is framed correctly, ill be fine

8. killit

killit Active Member

The Italian track sounds worth a spin I'm probably gonna get BU too or at least rent it for that. I actually am rather attatched to the english language track on this film. Were as usually I'd rather hear the Italian. Good job Nick

9. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

I'm buying both... just because. :) And that whole Italian track sounds interesting... Wanna see how that cheesy radio guy sounds at the very end. hehee. :)