StageFright (1987) (Michele Soavi)

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Demoni, Mar 21, 2014.

1. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

[​IMG]

A group of young dancers rehearsing in an old theatre is accidentally locked-in for the night – but not alone.
    In the shadows, someone is watching, waiting and selecting victims at his demented leisure… tonight, deranged serial killer Irving Wallace has escaped and is about to put on his own real-life horror show!

Director Michele Soavi’s acclaimed and brutal ’80s slasher is presented on Blu-ray for the first time anywhere in the world in an uncut, limited Collector’s Edition.

*** This edition will be limited to 3,000 units. ***

Release date: May 26, 2014

http://www.amazon.co.uk/StageFright...8&qid=1395434136&sr=1-2&keywords=stage+fright
    http://exposurecinema.com/shop/stagefright-blu-ray-limited-edition

2. bruce h

bruce h Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

Blue Underground is working on it in the U.S.

3. Eddyw78

Eddyw78 Member

This looks interesting although I would like to see some reviews before I order this as I'm unfamiliar with the distributor.

4. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

exactly what eddyw78 said!!!

5. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

There's only 1 version I'll be needing and that is from Blue Underground.

6. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

US Release details:

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10152487452600149&id=117400280148

7. bruce h

"The show must go on, I suppose." No need for understudies -- Michele Soavi's spaghetti slashfest STAGEFRIGHT (1987) gets its long-awaited HD upgrade, courtesy of Blue Underground! It's cram-time as a troupe of desperate actors find themselves locked inside the local theater for an all-nighter, preparing the opening of their new musical. As exhaustion sets in and tempers flare, the group discovers they also have something else to worry about -- an escaped maniac is amongst them, and apparently he's not a supporter of the performing arts. The auditorium becomes host to a thespian holocaust, as our owl-headed killer decimates the playhouse populace in splendidly splattery ways. Body bisection. Torso drilling. Chainsawed arms. A head gets knocked clean off with an ax. My kind of show.

A protege of Dario Argento, director Soavi hooked up with Italian trash icon Joe D'amato to produce a distinctly European take on the U.S. slasher boom (then in its waning days), mixing the stylish excess of that country's giallo thrillers with the down and dirty simplicity of the more maligned stalker subgenre, and ended up creating a film that surpasses its influences in every way imaginable. Filled with inventive and endlessly fluid camerawork, long suspense sequences and no shortage of shock set-pieces, I'm always amazed the film never seems to get its proper due. What does it take to make you kids happy?

While the 2002 Anchor Bay DVD represented a decent upgrade from VHS, it was unfortunately bereft of any substantial supplements. Going back to the drawing board for this new overhaul, Blue Underground have assembled a slew of new extras, including interviews with Soavi, stars David Brandon and Giovanni Lombardo Radice, composer Simon Boswell and FX artist Pietro Tenoglio. It'll be great to finally hear some stories behind this classic. "He can't kill all of us..."

Blu-Ray Preorder (9/30/14) : now live. Direct links at my sites.

Original Trailer!
    http://youtu.be/6sA6zqziYFg

"Like" the Cinema Arcana Facebook page to keep up with the latest news, deals, release announcements and more!
    https://www.facebook.com/cinemaarcana

[​IMG]

8. sinister

sinister Member

The UK version in the OP has just been pushed back for a 2nd time, release date is now 15th September.

9. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    The UK artwork...???? Monster hand holding a knife?

Can't wait for the Blue Underground version

10. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I never remember where the killer gets shot in this movie

11. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

That ïs ONE version of the original artwork, that has been on Stage Fright over here in some EU countrys, since the VHS days.
    I think it´s supposed to be the "hand" of an Owl, or something :D

I´m gonna wait and see which version has the best transfer. I fear another mess from the LVR lab ;)

12. Steel76

A teaser from the UK disc, looks like a winner :)

*Spoiler Alert, as one of the kills are shown!*
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sHJzi37J1M#t=14

That transfer sure looks magnificent, and some great extras too.
    I wonder if they did their own transfer, as it doesn't have that "LVR" look.

13. bruce h

Have they (Exposure Cinema UK) posted a full list of their extras yet? That new promo teases some stuff at the beginning, but when they get to the extras portion they still only mention that thing with the 29-year-old VHS collector.

14. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

No not yet.

Yeah, the beginning teases about 8 different windows of extras, one of them being the VHS collector.
    On the upper right of that preview, right above Soavi there´s something that could posters/covers from around the world. The rest appear to be full standalone interviews or part of big documentary.
    The Blue Underground version already listed 5 interviews, but the majority, if not all should be different.

As far as image quality, I´m stocked by the UK version, but making final decisions about it at this stage would be unfair as no Blue Underground footage exists.

My UK pre-order stands but if the extras of the Blue Underground are indeed different I will also buy it as I´m nuts about this movie.

15. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Review for the Blue Underground disc.

16. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

From the review:
    The framing is very close to the earlier transfer, adding a slightly extra bit of info on the sides while repositioning the vertical framing a tiny notch.

Slightly extra bit on image information?

If you check minute 3:56 on the UK promo, you can see that their print has a lot more information when compared to the previous DVD editions.
    So that confirms that the UK Exposure Cinema print is indeed an exclusive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sHJzi37J1M#t=14

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
  17. Steel76

I´m going for the UK disc.
    That screenshot from the BU disc, with the drill coming out of the guys stomach, is still cropped too much at the bottom. This always bothered me with most DVD editions, as only the old EC-Entertainment disc, which had both open matte and 1.66:1 matte options, had that effect fully visible in the frame, even in the matted option.
    So if the UK disc has less cropping, that effect might be intact.

18. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

UK Exposure Cinema specs:

- Uncut.
    - Dual format edition: Blu-ray Disc and DVD versions of the film.
    - High-bitrate, dual-layer encoding for high picture and sound quality.
    - New restoration, colour-timing corrected and produced from original vault elements.
    - Original trailer.
    - Still, poster and behind-the-scenes gallery featuring rare photos and international artwork.
    - Uncut vs. Cut version comparison.
    - A Bloodstained Featherstorm – Interviews with cast and makers, including director Michele Soavi and leading lady Barbara Cupisti.
    - Giovanni’s Method - Interview with star Giovanni Lombardo Radice (aka John Morghen).
    - Alan Jones: The Critic’s Take – the critic and FrightFest co-founder discusses the film in detail
    - Joe D’Amato: Totally Uncut – Archival, hour-long interview with the film’s producer on his career in Italian horror cinema.
    - Revenge of the Video Cassette - documentary about VHS horror collectors.
    - Video Chillers - collector’s illustrated ’80s-style booklet featuring new articles on late gialli and overlooked slashers, trivia and biographies.
    - Original artwork used on front cover

19. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

20. sinister

sinister Member

Just had confirmation that my Exposure Cinema Blu-ray version has been despatched so will report on how it looks soon.