Stalker (Tarkovsky)

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by dwatts, Aug 25, 2006.

1. dwatts

dwatts New Member

It's not been edited yet, but since I'm not going to do that for a while, here's a quote from my words, and a link to the fuller version: http://www.xtheunknown.com/Reviews/stalker.htm

The full review is much longer (twice as long), and you really have to see some of the screenshots I've put up. Forums don't really accommodate lengthy posts.....

2. Fistfuck

Fistfuck Slowest to 2000 posts

dwatts, I'd agree with not starting off a review comparing to another filmmaker, especially one as divisive as von Trier. But I have been interested in seeing this movie for the better part of 6 years. Seeing as how you're a bloke and reviewing this movie, I'm sure it will be some time before I can view it myself, at least on DVD. Your review was wonderful though, and has prompted me to search a little deeper in my area for perhaps a VHS copy.

3. dwatts

dwatts New Member

The movie is 4:3, mate - and in the UK it's also getting regular TV showings. You might be able to stumble upon it.

Von Trier rocks :D

4. welb25

welb25 New Member

Excellent review, dwatts.

I revisted this one tonight and it's even better than I remember. Like almost all of Tarkovsky's films it might try some people's patience but it's an amazing experience. The whole mood the film creates is mysterious in a way that's hard to quantify. There are many themes here that Tarkovsky seems to be touching on and obviously I think the viewer can take many different things out of it.

5. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Thanks, Welb25. Writing a review for a film such as this is a bit daunting, as i'm sure you can imagine. There's so much going on, and much of it - in one sweep of the film - you can't grasp.

Glad to hear you revisited. I too intend to do so soon. My wife mised this when I watched it, and I'm eager for her to experience its slowburn.