Star Trek (2009)

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by KillerCannabis, May 8, 2009.

1. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

Star Trek is such a huge cultural phenomenon that this movie can't be viewed in a vacuum. So it's pretty impossible to rate this movie without factoring in all of our preconceived expectations. Some of the opinions here are more about where this fits into the previous franchises than the new film itself.

I'm a mid-level Star Trek fan. I enjoy the original TV series and the feature films that feature the Shatner-Nimoy cast. Period. I was bored to tears by all of the subsequent TV series and the Patrick Stewart film series. But all of the buzz about this movie made me rush out and see it.

I enjoyed it a lot. And I think this film walks the best-possible middle ground between the die-hards who demand strict continuity and people who just want to see an entertaining movie.

I can understand why some think the movie is dumbed down and slight. It's tone and pace are definitely more in keeping with Star Wars. And after a pretty emotional opening (I can't imagine many parents who wouldn't be affected by George Kirk's decision), the movie doesn't have a whole lot of emotional heft. It's pretty much one action scene after another. And there's probably an over-reliance on humor--especially in the casting of Pegg and his unnecessary sidekick.

But there's another side to this. I saw a lot of genuine respect and affection for the original series. There are many clever references (and I'm sure I missed some of them) that showed me that the filmmakers did their homework. And the cast was pretty damn good. I thought it would be impossible to cast someone as a young Shatner. But I accepted Pine in the role pretty quickly. He captured Kirk's cocky essence without going overboard mimicking his mannerisms.

The cast was critical for me. By the end, I accepted them as replacements for the original characters. Without that acceptance, I don't think you'd get the same buzz from the ending that I got. It felt like getting back together with a bunch of old friends that I hadn't seen in years.

Hopefully the sequel follows The Dark Knight route and goes in a less generic direction. Now that financial success is assured I think they could afford to go with a meatier story.

2. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

It was an ok film. It was far from being awful , but it had many flaws.

I'm not an expert in the Star Trek genre, so I will not try to engage in any discussion of how the story played out or could this or that actually happen vs the other films, timelines etc...

But I will say that in my humblest opinion, the young Kirk in this film was extremely obnoxious. Not likable at all. The other characters were good. All the other "young" versions of the characters we know were perfectly acceptable. Kirk on the other hand annoyed the hell out of me. I guess it was smart not to have Shatner in the movie. It would have shown how bad this young nobody really is.

Also all the "hip" stuff in the movie to make it cool was way out of place & forced. No trekkie would ever be interested in that stuff.

One more thing. Did this movie have Star Wars series envy or what? Could there be anymore similarities?

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  3. Dave

Dave Pimp

Ummmm, erased? The movies still exist.

It is just a movie.

The writers simply wanted to go in a new direction and threw in some
    time travel mumbo jumbo
    to try and satify the trekkies. Honestly I could care less about that. I've said it before and I'll say it again: Sometimes you have to check reality (e.g.: deep space travel, alien races, teleportation, etc) at the door and enjoy the flick.

4. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I thought that too. A great example is when they're on the ice planet and Kirk is chased by an ice monster who is then attacked by an even bigger ice monster who then continues the chase of Kirk. I saw it coming and was very saddened as it unfolded. They did that twice in Phantom Menace, with three creatures each, and that was heavily maligned (as it should have been).

Having Kirk land on a planet, finding Spock and Scotty goes way beyond just checking your brain at the door. Lazy writing abounds.

I don't mind them throwing out Star Trek history, with a reboot that's assumed, but it doesn't meet up with the overall quality of Star Trek. You don't check your brain at the door when you watch Star Trek, instead it's suppose to be candy for the brain not the eyes. Now it can be pretty basic, sure, I'm not asking for a PHD to watch Star Trek. But your mind should be engaged. This reboot didn't engage me.

5. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

It is very much that it didn't happen. Or that it won't happen.

If Vulcan is destroyed, then we have no Amok Time, No Journey to Babel, if Spock dies in Star Trek II there is no one to put his brain back in his head in Star Trek III (because that woman died on Vulcan), no planet to leave from in Star Trek IV (because it doesn't exist)... that timeline is now useless. I know that knowing all this makes me "that guy" but come on - did they have to erase all of that to make this movie?

Easy killer. I know it is convenient to picture Star Trek fans in full prosthetic Klingon makeup but that is not the case. Of course it's just a movie. It's not like I was wearing the ears when I went to see it, but I am a big fan.

And I TOTALLY check reality when I see these films. But suspension of disbelief wasn't my issue. I loved the casting, the new look, the edgy feel - but...

It was the equivalent of saying that Bruce Wayne's dad never died and so Bruce Waynes whole future is now different. Chris Nolan didn't feel the need to piss on the mythology in a cheap effort to reboot Batman - and Dark Knight and B. Begins are better movies, Same with the Bond reboot. It is updated and fresh without pissing on the other adventures. All these can be seen in the context of the various incarnations as a whole and they still work.

Last edited: May 12, 2009
  6. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

I liked the Star Trek films so far - well not all, but had fun watching all of them - and used to see the original series as a kid. I am not a fan of the director (found MI3 and CLOVEFIELD very mediocre affairs) but I was very surprised by STar Trek. It is well acted, the story has a great build-up, the drama & the action is there... This is a lot more that your average fun movie, and miles better than Star Trek IV for example. It is a good movie. I can undestand the problems a trekkie may have, but this is outside the movie, it doesn't concern the film nor it has anything to do with it being good or bad. And it does not betray the atmosphere, the feel of the original - which is a big plus.

Last edited: May 12, 2009
  7. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

God, I can't believe I am going to do this.

But, for those who look at this as undoing the entire previous Star Trek history, look at this as the next Spock adventure. Long after the events in the previous films/tv show, Spock (Nimoy) gets thrown into and trapped in an alternate history thread. Since Spock (Nimoy) managed to make it to old age, the previous shows/history do still exist in the time thread that Old Spock originated from.

Granted, I don't mean to defend this film as one of the most intelligent Star Trek films out there. There are lots of things to nitpick about with it. But, I really think that those whose main complaint is undoing the history are just resisting change. It may not reach the pinnacles that the original incarnations hit (I think "All Good Things..." is some of the best science fiction ever) but viewed as a whole, it certainly surpasses most of the previous films in terms of consistency and overall narrative intelligence. And, as far as cinematic beginnings go, it beats the pants off of ST:TMP and ST:Generations. Yes, it's probably not as good as Khan or First Contact, but it certainly gave me a serious thrill watching it and gave me hope for an exciting and (perhaps) thought provoking franchise to follow.

8. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

9. Angelman

10. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    The film was phenomenal and that's all I'll say! I definitely will be seeing this again and putting it in my home video collection when it is released!

11. aoiookami

aoiookami Demon Fetishist

I saw this movie having never been a Star Trek fan, I think I've seen maybe 2 of the movies and 5 or 6 episodes. I thought it was great, very entertaining. I look at it in the same light as I do Iron Man; if a movie can make me go from having zero interest in the franchise to wanting to check out more, then its a success in my mind.

12. scott71670

scott71670 Active Member

A big noisy fun film that is ushering in the biggest noisy summer for film in quite a few years. Loved it in the same way that I loved the original Star Wars back in the 70s.

13. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

JJ Abrams finally brought the fun back to the series. Excellent casting and performances. Great effects. I too am unconvinced of the overall quality of his creative output, but this film went a long way for me.

Oh Trekkies (and I happily include myself in this lot). So focused on fear of change that the plot escape you. :joshua: History is not erased--the movies and stories we love still exist and happened--
    in the Prime timeline.
    In the
    divergent timeline
    new stories can be told. Plus, whoever posted that tidbit about Spock in the ice cave is right, iirc. See? Not erased--in fact, tied into this film as a bit of fanservice.

But, if you want to complain about the plot, there are valid gripes to be made. Say, for example,
    Nero traveling back in time, pissed off about his planet blowing up, but not seeing the opportunity to warn those in the past of the future danger. Instead he chooses...revenge for his planet blowing up. But it hasn't blown up yet.

But nitpicks like this can be applied to most ST films. The franchise needed the cliched shot in the arm, and it received one this summer. I know we're all worried that mainstream audiences will adopt, thanks to this shiny installment, the precious Tribbles we know, but it won't erase all the films and television series of varying quality sitting on our shelves.

It would be so nice if all properties were presented with opportunities like this, rather than resting on laurels of diminishing returns.

sidenote: KC, good review.

14. Angelman

Maybe I am just clinging to the old, beloved one too much. I did love the casting, I just didn't like the plot.

FUNNY VIDEO REVIEW

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  15. Workshed

16. Workshed

Did you guys know there is a comic book prequel to this movie by IDW?

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Countdown-J-Abrams/dp/1600104207

Star Trek: Countdown

It's got Picard, Data, Spock, and some other guy on the cover.

Anyone read it??

17. Angelman

Well as I'm in the minority here in not liking the flick I might as well sack up and try to like it. I'll pick it up...

18. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

I guess I wasn't the only one.