Star Wars: Episode VII: The Force Awakens (2015) non-spoiler Review

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by thing, Dec 16, 2015.

1. thing

thing Well-Known Member

I prefer 2D and saw it in 2D but many friends said the 3D was really top notch at their screenings.

2. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I thought the 3D was really nice. The text crawl was great to see in 3D and a few things here and there popped out.

3. soxfan666

soxfan666 Well-Known Member

I saw 3D IMAX this morning and it was nothing short of stunning. I am seeing it in 2D in a few days and will have a better comparison, but it was easily the best use of 3D I have seen. As for the movie it was everything I could have wanted and it is all have thought about for the past 7 hours. I teared up multiple times in overwhelming joy and loved the enjoyment of the event. The theater exploded in cheers when the Lucasfilms logo came up and at the final credits.

4. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

I saw it yesterday and have felt really bummed out ever since. There is nothing wrong with the movie. It's brilliant. I just can't take it. I wasn't expecting things to have unravelled so heinously. It's a feverish nightmare. I almost feel like I need a prequel to this so I can see how Luke fucked things up so bad with Kylo Ren. As it stands now, Luke is a huge dickhead for trying to bring the Jedi back and allowing Ben Solo to get so out of hand. And why look for Luke? Why the map? He's a fuck up. It's his fault Han is dead. Leia and Han trusted him with their son and he failed them AND everyone who will suffer at Kylo's hands now that he's into the dark side. Too much of his grandfather in him? How about uncle dick-licker was a shitty master? And I'm not taking shots at the story. It makes perfect sense. Luke is an inexperienced jedi so it's no wonder he would eventually fuck everything up. The jedi council said Anakin was too old when he was like 7, so Luke starting to train at 18 or whatever is way too late. The fans thought the prequels were too kiddy and wanted something more serious, well here's a serious smack in the face! This entry truly is to the rest of the series, what Empire Strikes Back was to the first film.

5. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I wouldn't blame Luke for the way Ben turned out. He may have been a Skywalker by blood but he probably had more of Han in him too. You have to remember that Han was very much a rebel and didnt like to follow the rules. That isnt exactly the kind of personality that would blend well with the Force. Neither Han nor Leia (nor Luke) could do what needed to be done because Ben was their child.

6. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Thats why I made the comment about needing a prequel, cause I kinda feel like we need to know exactly wtf happened. The state of affairs in ep.VI to how we start off in ep.VII is a severe contrast.

7. maybrick

No, don't go there. It may seem like a good idea but the last time we went down that road we ended up with Jake Lloyd and Jar Jar. Just say no to prequels no matter how tempting filling in gaps may be! Quick flashbacks will suffice just fine in Episode 8.

Steel76 likes this.
  8. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

I wasn't implying it should REALLY happen. It's a just a feeling I have.
    It hit the ground running almost to the point where there could have been an instalment leading into this one. But I understand Harrison Ford probably only agreed to do this one if his character died.

9. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

I loved it. Saw it last Thursday night and I've been obsessed. I downloaded the "Despecialized" editions a couple weeks ago to get ready for episode VII. They're really awesome editions (they were blu-ray files so I burned them to a BD and printed out the custom artwork that came with them). They look so fucking sweet, and the work that went into them is simply amazing. They used the blu-ray as the main source and then color-timed it and used several different prints (some 35mm, and the laserdisc master) to match the footage in scenes he had changed. I can't deal with Lucas' edited versions. He's actually changed SO MUCH. Especially Return of the Jedi.

~Matt

othervoice1 likes this.
  10. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Here's the finished product:

Attached Files:

Steel76 likes this.
  11. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Does this movie make sense if you've never seen the other movies?

I saw the original trilogy a few times as a kid, but barely remember them. Couldn't finish Phantom Menace and accordingly never bothered with Episodes II or III.

I think I'm going to get dragged to see this by my family over Christmas break, but I'm going to try and steer them towards Joy or The Hateful Eight instead.

12. Fistfuck

Fistfuck Slowest to 2000 posts

I think so long as you remember the bullet points of the original trilogy, you'll be fine. This film introduces and follows 3 new characters. Go with your family. It'll be a much more enjoyable experience with them.

CPT HOOK likes this.
  13. maybrick

I'll just repeat what I already sarcastically said: God DAMN Hollywood for ever giving us a franchise to love to begin with.

Matt89 and Steel76 like this.
  14. Dave

Dave Pimp

I deleted all the posts from the Dobby nonsense onward. Please resume your adult, civilized conversation from the last known point, which ironically enough, is the post by: Fistfuck.

15. Fistfuck

Fistfuck Slowest to 2000 posts

:)

16. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Lol aww was someone hating on Star Wars? I've seen it all over my Facebook feed. Like, okay you don't like it, but I'll tell you something: we don't fucking care.

~Matt

Myron Breck, Steel76 and Zombie Dude like this.
  17. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

I'm sure Dobby's comments were more about Star Wars being gay or retarded or something like that (I never saw the comments so I'm just assuming)

But yeah great movie. If I had the extra cash I'd go see it again.

Steel76 likes this.
  18. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I just came back from seeing it, and found it just as much fun as most everyone else here (this is my first visit to this thread, and it looks like I missed some fireworks). I admit I was a little worried at the very beginning, with some clunky dialogue delivery and some obvious telegraphing that a stormtrooper wasn't down with the plan. But hey, A New Hope has some pretty dumb lines as well.

Once things got going, I was locked in. The nods to the original trilogy were rather obvious, but not as insulting as the ones Lucas put in the prequel trilogy (example, Amidala saying "Luke" and "Leia" as she's giving birth to the twins. We already know who they are!). Stuff like the chessboard on the Falcon were hitting up slightly more obscure references, and it was a lot more fun that way. A minor gripe was that everything was a little repetitive; this doesn't really break new ground in the Star Wars universe. But then, the prequels show just how bad it gets when you try to put in shit like trade negotiations and senate discussions. Seriously, what was Lucas thinking with that crap??? So, we have a movie that makes Star Wars fun again, and that's what this franchise is all about. When things were coming to a close, I knew I wanted more, and that's a good enough endorsement.

As to the above comments about a "prequel" to fill in the gaps from Jedi to Force Awakens, with all that's alluded to in this current movie, I LIKE that there's some unseen backstory. Leave it that way.

19. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

If I have to say anything negative from the film it's this: I felt the motion capture characters stood out and not in a good way. The CGI for those characters weren't bad, far from it, but still stood out among the fantastic practical effects.

Also I wasn't a fan of Snoke's look. He reminded me too much of Freddy from the Nightmare remake.

rhett and Workshed like this.
  20. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

This movie made me love Star Wars again. I watched Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones recently and I honestly can say I'll never watch them again. Revenge of the Sith is tolerable, but nowhere near the original trilogy. The prequels are full of terrrrrrrible early 2000s CGI and they don't hold up well at all. Also Jar Jar is the most fucking annoying character in the entire series. Lucas was smart to basically write him out of the rest of them.

~Matt