Star Wars: Episode VII: The Force Awakens (2015) non-spoiler Review

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by thing, Dec 16, 2015.

1. Dave

Dave Pimp

You can hate on Star Wars. That's OK. But calling anyone that liked the movie 'brain dead' will get you banned from this thread.

othervoice1, Zombie Dude and Steel76 like this.
  2. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

On a completely different note though, this was the first movie I saw at a theater a mile from my house that was just remodeled. One word. Wow. I saw movies there before (the last one before the remodel was It Follows, to give a timetable), and I was only going there for the convenience factor. But now it's a "Film Center and Cafe", with these huge reclining seats and full menu available. Including drinks. The guy next to me had a nut brown ale, and the smell of the hops wafting over to me was making me drool. The ticket price wasn't heinous either, just $14.50, really not much more than a standard multiplex. And you can't get a draft beer at most multiplexes.

othervoice1 likes this.
  3. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

If you really want to know, it was a rather odd diatribe about The Force Awakens being another example of Hollywood destroying our childhood. Considering that Star Wars has ALWAYS been a product of Hollywood, and the most overtly commercialized one in history at that, very little of his venom made any rational sense.

4. Fistfuck

Fistfuck Slowest to 2000 posts

Paff, even though we're besties, we tend to disagree a lot. You've hit everything I was thinking right on the head.

I think TFA is in part damage control for everything cinematically Star Wars from 97 - 05. I feel this film is a palette cleanser for what is to come, and that the series is really going to ramp up in the next two installments.

5. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

He's supposed to be based on "The ghoulish look of characters from the Hammer films" according to creature designer Ivan Manzella.

6. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

I love this type of theater-going experience. Quality food and beverages designed for adults. And I also like being able to reserve specific seats in advance.

7. rhett

rhett Administrator

Haha, totally thought the same thing too. For how inventive the Star Wars world really is, Snoke (especially being the main bad guy) being so generic was really underwhelming. Making him all giant made it feel all Prometheus-y too.

Overall I liked the film but had some problems with it. I've never been a huge fan of the series, and honestly I'd still take Lucas' vision and canon in the first 3 episodes to this, but it was a mostly fun ride.

Fistfuck likes this.
  8. Fistfuck

Fistfuck Slowest to 2000 posts

Wait, you'd take the prequels over Episode VII?

9. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

I am thinking Snoke will be revealed as
    Darth Plagueis in future installments. Those who don't know who I'm talking about, he's the guy who trained Sidious (Palpatine).

Steel76 and Zombie Dude like this.
  10. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

I'm wondering the same thing. If that's the case some asylum in Canada is missing one of his patients...

Fistfuck likes this.
  11. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Maybe he means the first three episodes in terms of release, not where they fit in the story...

MisterTwister likes this.
  12. zombiehorror

zombiehorror Member

Harrison Ford is already signed on for the next one (or two?) so I'm betting we will get flashbacks of previous events; much like they did with Michael Douglas in Ant-Man.

The Star Wars universe is full of dickheads...especially dickheaded Jedi! Wouldn't the entire Jedi council be dickheads for letting Kenobi train Anakin in the first place? Wouldn't Kenobi be a complete dickhead for thinking he could train Anakin? No one gets blamed for events in the Star Wars universe, especially Jedi; their relationship with the Force is what hinders them the most, it is said to guide things and it's pull from the darkside has destroyed many a promising Jedi. I wanna know what's with Jedi just abandoning everybody/thing when things get tough? Obi-Wan, Yoda and now Luke....what douches.

Steel76 likes this.
  13. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

I got to see this finally today and really enjoyed it- so much better then the prequels were - and I didn't mind those even (In fact I thought Episode III was quite good and Darth Maul in Episode I was a great villian). I thought the 3-D was pretty good too - nothing groundbreaking but well done. I really enjoyed what Abrams did with the Star Trek movies so I had high hopes he could do the same for Star Wars and he did not disappoint. I am already excited for Episode VIII now! Rogue One next year will be interesting - it has Donnie Yen cast in it so that is a positive- he was awesome in the Ip Man movies.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
  14. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

I'll join the chorus of joy...to an extent. I thought it was a tremendous success in that it did everything right that the prequels did wrong and, above all, made STAR WARS fun again.

My only complaint was that it all seemed a little too familiar. I mean, I'm all for references and nods to the originals but it felt so heavy in that department that it felt like a reboot. I would have liked some newer material. But, like someone else pointed out, I left it wanting more and that's always a good sign.

15. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

Most likely and I kind agree with him. I LOVED The Force Awakens but it doesn't touch the original trilogy (not even Return of the Jedi which happens to be my favorite)

16. Dave

Dave Pimp

I tried to see it a second time with my 13-year old (first time for him). We went at noon and everything was sold out until the 7pm show. The only thing available for the 7pm show was the very front row of seats. We decided to wait another week or two before seeing it.

17. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I went to see it last night with my best friend and his wife. We went to an 8:45 show and the theater was only 18% filled when he bought the tickets...about 5 minutes before. It was raining and storming out pretty bad though, so that could be why. It was pleasant viewing though without a big crowd.

I loved the film though, I really thought they did a stellar job with just about everything and it all came together shockingly well. I need to see it again, but it was a perfect mix of the old and the new...and certainly far superior to any of the "Prequels".

It's pretty amazing (albeit not too surprising) that it's destroyed the box office records worldwide, and hasn't even opened in "China" yet...which is the 2nd largest movie market.

18. rhett

rhett Administrator

Cuff me, because I meant the prequels too. Nothing against TFA, I liked it and had a good time, but like any reboot it just isn't the same when the original handler is gone. Same with the Fridays when they went to New Line or Hellraiser once Barker severed ties. We'll see though, if VIII builds more of its own narrative and world then maybe it will be something to get excited about, but for me this was too much fan service and too much of the template from A New Hope to really get excited about.

19. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I can see the argument, but I don't know if I agree with that in this case rhett...

Look at the Bond franchise for instance; it's been going on for 50+ years now, and can safely be stated that the original handler(s) long ago passed the torch on to many others, and many of those inheritors have since passed it on to yet others. It has only gained in popularity though and shows no signs of slowing down any time soon. That franchise has been rebooted numerous times and has constantly catered to the fans, wouldn't you agree? o_O

20. rhett

rhett Administrator

Two things: The Bond franchise is built around a series of books, so it always has a foundation to draw upon for all the films, and SPECTRE bringing back the titular organization and Blofeld is a testament to that. To my knowledge every film has used an original Flemming story as its base, although some of them are loosely based or are related by title only, the guts are still always Flemming. Secondly, even though the Bond series has run for more than a half century, it's always had Eon Productions, or more specifically the Broccoli family running the show.

With STAR WARS, one man was behind the film's world, canon and success. Now it's owned by a major Hollywood conglomerate. Every movie from The Force Awakens onward will be riffing on Lucas' vision because that is what Disney bought.