Stephen King Special Editions

Discussion in 'Site Polls' started by rhett, May 22, 2006.

?

Which Stephen King film most deserves a special edition DVD?

Poll closed Jun 21, 2006.
  1. Salem's Lot

16 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. Creepshow

54 vote(s)
    42.2%
  3. Firestarter

2 vote(s)
    1.6%
  4. Cat's Eye

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Silver Bullet

8 vote(s)
    6.3%
  6. Maximum Overdrive

4 vote(s)
    3.1%
  7. Graveyard Shift

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  8. It

15 vote(s)
    11.7%
  9. Misery

10 vote(s)
    7.8%
  10. Sleepwalkers

2 vote(s)
    1.6%
  11. The Dark Half

4 vote(s)
    3.1%
  12. Needful Things

9 vote(s)
    7.0%
  13. Thinner

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. The Mangler

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. Apt Pupil

3 vote(s)
    2.3%
  1. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

There's only 2 on the list that I have no interest in seeing SEs for: Thinner and Sleepwalkers.

I have to pick up The Dead Zone SE for sure. Awesome movie. One of King's best, but as far as the one's listed I would vote for Silver Bullet. Love the movie and it's a werewolf movie so it's an easy choice for me.

2. bigwes15

bigwes15 Active Member

Creepshow is the obvious choice and I would LOVE to see this come out, but I voted for Maximum Overdrive. Not the greatest flick by any means, but with all the hullaboo about the ultra-gory footage that was supposedly cut to avoid the x, this would have to be my choice. I would have to think though, that if it was around somewhere Anchor Bay would have tracked it down for their release. You never know, though. They don't seem to try half as hard as they used to for their horror releases.

3. tobaccoman

tobaccoman White, Proud, and Stupid

I've never heard of this "x-rated" cut of Maximum Overdrive, but that would make a worthwhile release. Too bad I hate the movie pretty passionately, but I do know a few people who would jump all over it if an SE with those cuts were to be released. I'd be interested, but I'd want to check it out before purchasing because nothing could really save that movie in my opinion.

4. Noto

Noto Guest

I would love Maximum Overdrive with a Stephen King commentary track. That would rock hard. Like, AC/DC hard.

5. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

I thought that the release of THINNER was pretty impressive considering how much people hated it (I rather enjoyed it as a guilty pleasure). Commentary track, trailer, SFX featurette...not too shabby. Plus, it was a Republic Pictures release and we have already discussed the possibilities there. You may get your wish on that one! :)

6. 4Gotten1

4Gotten1 Guest

Although Creepshow is tempting for my vote, I went with The Dark Half. I think a good SE of this film would garner more interest in it. Of course would need an appropriate anamorphic transfer of the film, currently available in only an R1 fullscreen version. This is not my favorite King adaptation but I feel it is still underrated, and holds a special place in my heart: My wife and I went on our first date together and saw this film, years ago. Plus i'm a huge Romero fan and, love it or hate it, all of Romero's films deserve a decent release, IMO.

7. MrVess

MrVess Guest

Oh my... The US disc of "Thinner" does have all those extras, indeed... :O

Now I'll have to think of getting the film... again. :\

8. MrVess

MrVess Guest

I think I can predict what King's commentary for "Maximum Overdrive" would go like...

"Hello. I'm Stephen King, and I'm here... to scare you!"
    "Wait... what the hell is this?"
    "WHAT?!? YOU TOLD ME THIS WAS A COMMENTARY FOR NIGHTMARES AND DREAMSCAPES!!!"
    <stomp - stomp - stomp - door creak - SLAM!>

Alternatively, he could pretend that he "always intended" to make a parody, as he used to say for a while. But since he eventually did admit to failing miserably with this film, against intentions - in, I believe, "Danse Macabre" he says something to the effect of "I can recognize a bad movie since I'm responsible for a stinker called 'Maximum Overdrive' myself" - he probably wouldn't have much choice other than total honesty... :)

9. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

Aw, I love Maximum Overdrive... I just watched it last week and fell in love with it again.

10. krugerkid13

krugerkid13 Guest

went with creepshow with dark half a close second

11. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

I went with Needful Things as I've heard there's a 3-hour version circulating somehwere. I want to see that version. Always thought that movie was pretty good, even if it was very flawed.

I'd also like to see a SE of The Dark Half. My ideal SE for IT, however, would be a new cut of the film. Or rather just a new film.

12. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

Creepshow

13. reddye5

reddye5 Member

Once again, Creepshow. I actually still own the graphic novel that was released around the time the movie originally came out. It looks like a giant comic book. The artwork is awesome!.

They should definately turn that into a dvd booklet size, and have it included as part of the special edition package.

Man, they better hurry up; Hal Holbrook and Fritz Weaver are getting ancient. E.G. Marshall died in 1998. That sucks. He was excellent. "What's the matter Mr. Pratt; bugs got your tongue?" Classic.

I want to see interviews with: Leslie Nielson, Ted Danson, Ed Harris, Hal Holbrook, Fritz Weaver. Savini, Romero, Carrie Nye, Tom Atkins, Stephan King, Adrienne Barbeau, and Gaylen Ross! Everyone was in this flick!

Shit, this movie ruled! The comic book motif would make for great dvd menu motions too. I also wonder if any deleted scenes exist somewhere.

This needs to happen. I've been waiting since the dvd format started for an SE of this. NOW:fire:

Last edited: May 24, 2006
  14. Gore Lunatic

Gore Lunatic Violenza Carnale

Salem's Lot. I love that fuckin' film. Creepshow a very close second though.

15. Lucio Romero

Lucio Romero Member

The Marsten House in spring, Monroeville Mall in w
    Hey Everyone,

SALEM'S LOT. Behind Dawn of the Dead it's my favourite film of all time and whilst Creepshow is my third favourite film ever, I would kill for a special edition of SL.

One of the reasons is that so little is still known of Salem's Lot compared to my other favorite horror films. There is not a lot of behind the scenes photos from the filming, not a lot of goss about the filming and what went on behind the scenes.

With Dawn I have multiple versions and convention DVDs, Creepshow has a workprint & behind the scenes DVD doing the rounds. But with SL, there is nothing that has surfaced as far as deleted scenes or extra footage so a SL SE with a Hooper commentary is desperately needed IMO. The cast are fairly accessable too so a documentary wouldn't be out of the question. Heck, even I've managed to get in contact with Brad Savage, Jules Brenner and Assistant Director John Whittle and they were more than happy to share their memories with me.

I would also love a Needful Things SE. Very underated film plus I have yet to see the 3 hour version. I personally can't wait for the Cujo, PS & DZ DVDs.

LUCIO!!!!!!

---------------------------------- :evil: ---------------------------------

Grease Guy : Four pounds of grease...that comes to 63 cents.
    Homer : Woo Hoo.
    Bart : Dad, all that bacon cost 27 dollars.
    Homer : Yeah, but your mom payed for that.
    Bart : But doesn't she get her money from you.
    Homer : And I get my money from grease, what's the problem.

16. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Firestarter. The Tangerine Dream soundtrack would sound amazing in 5.1 surround!

17. BoredSeal

BoredSeal New Member

Sleepwalkers. Great movie, I can watch it every year again. :)

18. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    CREEPSHOW Without a doubt, needs a Special Edition.

19. Herbert_West

Herbert_West Guest

Creepshow is dying for a King/Romero commentary.
    Unedited dailies of Ed Harris' awesome dancing would be great too!

20. Shokk

Shokk Lord Of The Thighs

After watching my Artisan release of Cujo again..i would change my vote from Needful Things to it.It's been awhile but i didnt remember it being that bad.At least most of the ones mentioned have somewhat decent releases already...this puppy was hurtin'.