Stephen King - The Cell - movie

Discussion in 'General' started by Dave, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Dave

Dave Pimp

First time in ages I didn't finish the trailer.
    Many agree with King adaptations that the book is often superior. At least in this case they are both going to suck equally.

2. chancetx

chancetx Active Member

Well if nothing else maybe it will inspire some film company to finally release Bells/Murder By Phone on DVD!

Cell was one of the last Stephen King books I read. I remember it being like The Stand-lite: a disparate group of survivors band together after a worldwide calamity. (Actually, that applies to a lot of Stephen King stories - Desperation, The Langoliers, The Mist.) One of the main survivors is a gay man and it seems pretty clear that Stephen King's knowledge of gay people comes from stereotypes and "very special" TV episodes from the 70s and 80s.

3. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

I liked the book a lot, but I don't need to see another SLJ film.

4. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

So, basically it's just another "Zombie" movie..........................................................
    [​IMG]

5. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

will wait and buy it on dvd or blu-ray atleast it's rated R and looks better than World War z which I didn't care for I am still waiting for Samuel L Jackson in the Blob Remake though

6. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

Experience action-packed terror as two men race against the clock to stop a horde of rabid killers as their city descends into apocalyptic madness in the pulse-pounding thriller, Cell, arriving on Blu-ray (plus Digital HD), DVD (plus Digital), and Digital HD on September 27 from Lionsgate. The film is currently available On Demand. Based on Stephen King’s chilling book, the film stars John Cusack (Love & Mercy) alongside Oscar® nominee Samuel L. Jackson (Best Supporting Actor..., Pulp Fiction, 1994) and Stacy Keach (The Bourne Legacy). Cell was directed by Tod Williams from a screenplay by Stephen King and Adam Alleca. The home entertainment release of Cell contains audio commentary with the director and a look behind the scenes of the film in the “To Cell and Back” featurette. The Cell Blu-ray and DVD will be available for the suggested retail price of $24.99 and $19.98, respectively.

Stephen King’s best-selling novel is brought to terrifying life in this mind-blowing thriller starring John Cusack and Samuel L. Jackson. At the Boston airport, Clay (Cusack) witnesses a scene of chaotic mayhem when an electronic signal turns hundreds of cell phone users into rabid killers. Desperate to find his estranged wife and son, Clay teams with a train driver (Jackson) to battle the horde of murderous “phoners” as the city descends into apocalyptic madness.

CAST:
    John Cusack Love & Mercy, Being John Malkovich, Chi-Raq
    Samuel L. Jackson Pulp Fiction, The Hateful Eight, The Avengers
    Isabelle Fuhrman The Hunger Games, Orphan
    Owen Teague Wild in Blue, Echoes of War, TV’s “Bloodline”
    Clark Sarullo Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues
    Anthony Reynolds The Hunger Games, Iron Man 3
    Erin Elizabeth Burns TV’s “Stan Against Evil”
    and Stacy Keach TV’s “Prison Break,” The Bourne Legacy

BLU-RAY/DVD/DIGITAL SPECIAL FEATURES*
    · Audio Commentary with Director Tod Williams
    · “To Cell and Back” Featurette

7. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Just watched this on Showtime. It's not the total disaster it was made out to be. The problem with the movie is that it's just an unremarkable paint-by-numbers zombie movie. There's literally nothing here we haven't seen before. But hey, you could say the same thing about World War Z, I Am Legend, Here Alone, It Comes At Night, The Battery, DeadHeads, Cockneys Vs Zombies, The Dead, Maggie, The Bay, Freaks Of Nature, etc etc etc. This is hardly the worst of that lot.

I like my zombie movies a little more fun and/or creative ala Scouts Guide, Zombeavers, Mulberry Street, Dance Of The Dead, etc, so this isn't really my thing. That said, I was rarely bored.

I'll also say that another problem with the film is the casting of extras, specifically the zombies. They're terrible, and elicit more unintentional laughter than fear. Also, Samuel L Jackson acts scared and let out a shriek that had me laughing out loud. I'll also say the big final money shot at the end did not need to be played twice. We saw it the first time.

If you happen to spot this on Showtime and you're into that whole dry Walking Dead thing, you could certainly do a lot worse than Cell.

chancetx and fceurich39 like this.