Steven Soderbergh's Unsane

Discussion in 'General' started by Colin, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

Looks great! Especially from a guy who is "retired." ;)

Synopsis
    A young woman is involuntarily committed to a mental institution where she is confronted by her greatest fear--but is it real or is it a product of her delusion?

[​IMG]

sinister, Anaestheus and Natas like this.
  2. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I loved Logan Lucky and I hope Soderberg never retires.

Also excited to see Amy Irving in the cast, don't think I've seen her on the big screen since Hide And Seek.

3. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

What's driving me "unsane" about that trailer is the song used at the beginning with the fluttering piano since it's from another horror film, but I can't remember for the life of me what it is yet I know it! Anyone know?

But this looks interesting, and Soderbergh seems to be drawing on some of his existing work as this looks kinda somewhere between Side Effects and Bubble stylistically (both of which I love). The oddly framed iPhone 4x3 cinematography is sure to add the right amount of jarring.

Colin likes this.
  4. MorallySound

Figured it out thanks to an old forum member here on Facebook! It's a library cue from Brian Bennett called Hideout, which was used in Cronenberg's Rabid (among other film and television over the years).

5. CPT HOOK

Opens tonight!

I'm going, but haven't decided when yet.

6. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

I'm definitely gonna catch this one in the theater, hopefully this weekend........I think it looks fantastic.

7. CPT HOOK

I was near the theater and had a window to catch this movie around noon yesterday, but unfortunately the first showtime wasn't until 1:50. So instead I caught cornball teen tearjerker Midnight Sun. But I'll definitely be seeing Unsane tomorrow.

Neither movie appears to be setting the box office on fire this weekend. In fact, they'll probably both be out of theaters within two weeks ala Hurricane Heist and Gringo. So if you're planning to see Unsane, definitely don't wait too long!

8. CPT HOOK

Saw it this afternoon. 8 other people in the theater, and a group of 4 walked out about 30 mins in. It definitely won't be for everyone, as it's fullscreen, shot on an iPhone in primarily hospital interiors, and somewhat slowly paced. But once you get past the initial set-up of what you see in the trailer, I found it pretty engaging.

Without giving too much away, the trailer leads you to believe it's going to be a psychological "is it all in her head?" type movie, but it's more about the hospital and how she could find herself in this situation. It sort of makes you angry because you empathize with her.

Claire Foy is terrific as the lead, I don't believe I've seen her in anything before. Jay Pharoah is the other stand-out as the friend she makes in the hospital. Loved seeing Amy Irving on the big screen again, and Blair Witch's Joshua Leonard is suitably creepy as her possible stalker. There's also a small role from an A-list star, but the movie probably didn't promote that as it's someone who had some bad press quite recently. The final scene is a fun homage to a somewhat similar beloved genre film based on a Stephen King novel.

Maybe not the most cinematic movie ever, and it's probably something that would play just as well at home due to the way it was shot. The benefit of the theater is that it commands 100% of your attention. Patience is required, but by the end I had fun.

MorallySound, Colin and chancetx like this.
  9. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

Thought this one was well acted but like Hook says it's not for everyone. I found myself wondering how this made it to the theater. It was kind of like a TV episode more than a theatrical film. Still glad I caught it in the theater but can't really recommend to others. Claire Foy did a good job but the script needed some work.

Only about 8 other people in the theater with me including a woman that brought two relatively young kids.

CPT HOOK likes this.
  10. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Straight to Netflix UK here.

11. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

I've been noticing this pattern with certain studio films. When I heard "Annihilation" was going straight to Netflix everywhere else but the states I was scratching my head. If Netflix doesn't start picking up the slack, the term "Straight to Netflix" will be just as dirty as Straight to DVD or VHS was in the past. All things considered, it has become a dirty term already thanks to films like "Bright," "Mute," and "The Cloverfield Paradox" being giant busts.

12. MorallySound

Caught Unsane last night and loved it! While some have mentioned it has a bit of a TV movie vibe, I can see that but I felt like it actually played a bit more like classic 70's exploitation/low-key thrillers but with more of a sleek and thought out Hitchcockian leaning. I always find Soderbergh's smaller films his most interesting, and this one ranks up there. Great performances too by Claire Foy and Joshua Leonard (who I was trying to place the entire movie then when the credits rolled the ah ha moment finally kicked in when I realized it was Josh from The Blair Witch Project!) and I found the 4x3 iPhone cinematography engrossing and a driving force in the claustrophobia and paranoia of the story. This movie ain't going to be in theatres long - so if you have any hesitations don't wait! While sure this ain't for the masses, even to have the opportunity to see this kind of filmmaking theatrically is a breath of fresh air and something cinema fans should seek out on the big screen.

CPT HOOK likes this.
  13. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

That piece of music used to be run in a number of commercials in the '70's.I think it was used for an antihistamine called Contact. I couldn't get that commercial out of my mind when I first saw RABID.

14. CPT HOOK

Now available free on Amazon Prime.

15. MaxRenn

MaxRenn Member

I really did not like it - the "shot on an iPhone" gimmick gets old fast and the plot could have used a little more subtety. There is also a huge plot hole concerning

how the stalker gets to work at the facility so quickly

Bit of a disappointment as I was expecting more nuance. For me, Soderbergh's movies are always overpraised by the crirics.

16. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Caught this last night finally. I thought it was just ok. I was engaged throughout but when the credits came I felt underwhelmed. Fairly uneventful. There were some illogical aspects that bothered me a bit. Definitely story driven and while it was a good and interesting story, I still felt a a little let down.

17. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I'm going to be watching this soon. I'm also curious about this:

Because the movie Tangerine by Sean Baker (The Florida Project) was also shot on an iPhone, and I didn't even know it till afterwards. So it doesn't have to be a "gimmick" if done properly.

18. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

I knew about the iPhone aspect beforehand and it was barely noticeable for me. Looks like a modern HD film to be honest.

19. MaxRenn

MaxRenn Member

Well, Soderbergh and his Dp would be disappointed by that statement as they were certainly trying for something different :) Seeing every pore on the lead's face in multiple unflattering flat closeups is not normal for a "modern HD film".

Personally I just got tired of all those harsh closeups and the drab yellow look of most of the film. I found it an uncreative and unsuccessful way to suggest the lead's state of "unsanity".

Natas likes this.
  20. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I liked this movie a lot, but the technical aspects left a lot to be desired. There's nothing wrong with shooting on an iPhone. I think the fact that you can do it so well that it's not even noticeable (see: Sean Baker's Tangerine as mentioned above), Soderbergh felt he had to go out of his way to actually make it noticeable. Poorly lit scenes, etc. And multiple violations of the "180 rule" of camerawork. It was distracting.

But the movie itself is really good. Hell, the most terrifying aspect is the basic concept; signing off on a medical form (seriously, who reads EVERY line of that stuff) and unwittingly committing yourself to a mental facility. Worse, the "hospital" colluding with your insurance company to hold you as long as the money keeps flowing. I don't think there's any of us that wouldn't freak out in a situation like that, thus appearing to be a "danger to yourself and others". I did not have a problem with the plot hole spoilerized above, as the unrealistic nature of it led to some great ambiguity for the first half of the movie. Unfortunately, it does not stay as interesting for the second half, when that ambiguity is removed. But that's a minor nitpick in what is really an engrossing movie. Very enjoyable, check it out.

MorallySound and Colin like this.