Stranger Things (New Horror, SF, Supernatural TV Series)

Discussion in 'General' started by Workshed, Jul 1, 2016.

1. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Also really enjoyed the first season of Stranger Things, and agree with pretty much everything that's been said about it in this thread. Loved it. My only complaint though actually has to do with the production design/posters spotted throughout the show: THEY SHOULD HAVE FOLD MARKS since the series takes place in 1983 - every one of them in the show is rolled! Posters issued prior to the mid-80s were 99% of the time shipped to theatres folded as that was the most economical way to ship. Two examples: Evil Dead for sure was issued folded. I have seen The Thing available rolled but during 1983 for the kids to have it on their wall they would have got it from a theatre, which it would have been folded.

2. SickNick89

SickNick89 Member

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that when I saw that pristine EVIL DEAD poster on the wall.

3. Dave

Dave Pimp

It speaks volumes about the show if the only complaints are lack of fold lines in the posters!

4. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

A lot of the pop songs they used weren't yet released in 1983. Its just nitpicking.

5. Natas

Natas ....on the warm side of the dooooooor

Really? You'd chalk that up to a complaint? What did you do, pause the show, zoom in on the poster? Couldn't just appreciate the fact they showed posters for Jaws, Evil Dead, and the Thing? Gawwwwwleeeeeee, tough crowd.

Just finished the last episode last night. The season was entertaining....... I think the music really made the show. Likeable, relatable characters. IF I had one complaint.....and that's a big IF.......would be the monster was a little too CGI, especially when in the house. It was a really cool design, but a more practicable fx creature would have fit the 80s vibe a little more.

Just thought of another thing that made me laugh for a second....... Spoiler (kinda, I guess....but not really) when Mike's sister gives Will's brother (characters name escape me at the moment) a Christmas present.... she goes "It's not really a present". He opens it and it's a brand new camera. Buying a new camera for someone, wrapping it up, handing it to someone on Christmas....... if it's not a present, the fuck is it then? LOL

6. maybrick

It's a replacement.

7. Natas

Exactly........a gift lol When my wife's blender shit the bed, I got her a new one........and if she didn't think it was a gift...well then.....

upload_2016-7-26_12-36-10.jpeg

8. Dave

Dave Pimp

Did you take your wife's blender and throw it on the ground? Intentionally breaking it?

Semantics, really. Clearly she didn't mean for it to be a true gift. They were replacing something they broke (though I felt the boyfriend was mostly justified in breaking it).

Again, it shows you the strength of the show. We are discussing folded posters and the definition of a gift.

9. Natas

Hahahahahaha touche my man. Pretty sure she broke it making me a cocktail. She's good like that.

You mentioned the boyfriend...... I thought his character was pretty funny. He was a complete douche bag and it reminded me of the Bradster, from Night of the Creeps.

upload_2016-7-26_14-3-35.jpeg

10. maybrick

I liked the boyfriend. He could've easily been written to be a jerk just so the other guy could win her love. Instead, they wrote a real human being rather than a stereotype.

Zombie Dude, Matt89, Workshed and 2 others like this.
  11. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Love this complaint. :cool:

Finished the series, and yes, aside from fold-marks on the posters, it was perfect (joking). So good, in fact, that I am reluctant to hope for a second season. This was a fine finish--every character received an arc, and I am really happy with how it ended. Will certainly be looking forward to whatever The Duffer Brothers come up with next.

12. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

I loved this series also. Especially cause there were no fold marks in the posters.

The sister reminded me a lot of Mia Sara. Looks like I'm not alone on that. I didnt't create this:
    [​IMG]

13. The Joker

The Joker Well-Known Member

We blew through S1 in two days and really enjoyed it. As an 80s kid, I couldn't help but feel nostalgic all the way around - from the title sequence/font and music to the colors, cars, etc. It's really well done and I'm absolutely certain we'll see a S2. The only problem - as with all Netflix original series - is that it'll probably be another year.

14. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Finished this last night and loved it. It was really a perfect throwback with well written and likeable characters and an intriguing plot. The soundtrack was great too, the opening credits give me goosebumps. I hope there's a season 2 as they at least end Will's story on a bit of a cliffhanger. I'm also curious to see if Nancy and Johnathan end up getting together as it's indicated a few times that she has feelings for him.
    Another thing I love is that we get the kids adventure film, teen horror/adventure and adult drama all in the one show and it all comes together brilliantly. When stuff like this comes out it really makes me wonder why a lot of movies are failing at producing well written story's and characters these days.

Workshed likes this.
  15. Workshed

S2 is happening!

Do we think these are chapter titles?

Zombie Dude and Steel76 like this.
  16. Dave

Dave Pimp

Never doubted it would. Initially I thought maybe it was a standalone story. But I can see how it can be continued. Once I read they had planned to, I assumed it was a sure thing. It would have been the first Netflix series not to get a renewal. No way with the positive word of mouth it has been getting. Good to see it confirmed!

17. Natas

Without question....... the popularity of the show pretty much solidified 3-5 seasons, minimal. Hopefully the prop/art guys involved with the production going forward read this site and fold the fucking posters next season :D

18. The Joker

The Joker Well-Known Member

Makes me wonder too. If I had to guess, I'd say that there's more to lose with movies than there is on Netflix series.

On Netflix, if something even gets a small amount of buzz, people will give it a chance because: A. They don't have to get off of their ass, and B. If they don't like it, they can literally just stop watching. But with movies, it's too risky to stray from the "tried and true" formula of haunted house and possession films. I feel like the purpose of movies, at least in this day and age, is to make money, and creativity be damned. On Netflix, I think creativity and good writing are held in higher regard, if that makes sense.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  19. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Just finished watching Stranger Things this weekend. (I've been putting off this series for a while now)

I don't know? I wasn't that impressed with the show as everybody else. Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful for the 80's revival, homage vibe going on in the series. That part was pretty good. But as a whole, the series was kinda just middle of the road for me. I will say the opening sequence in the first episode was fantastic. Then I was saying, oh boy this is what people are talking about, this show is gonna be great. Unfortunately , that was the highlight of the series imho. Also, nothing was explained at all. But maybe that was the point?

P.S. - This is a stickler point yes, but if your gonna be accurate about the era(1983), you can't have weapons in a show that weren't around until the 90's.

20. Workshed

See you guys on HALLOWEEN for S2!

Zombie Dude and Steel76 like this.