Stranger Things (New Horror, SF, Supernatural TV Series)

Discussion in 'General' started by Workshed, Jul 1, 2016.

1. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

It's definitely cool, but I wonder if they could possibly get in trouble for deceptive packaging. After all, it DOES say "VHS" in a much larger font than anything else.

2. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Loving that VHS case! Wish it wasn't an exclusive.

Steel76 likes this.
  3. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

full S2 trailer:

Steel76 likes this.
  4. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

That looks epic! :)

5. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

6. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

Went to Target and grabbed a copy. They only had four on the shelf, in the spider binding that pinches the packaging. Asked at the counter if they had any without that binding and they said they were keeping a bunch at the counter because they figured people would want pristine packaging. I was contemplating skipping this release when I found out it has no bonus features and I don't see my Netflix subscription ending anytime soon, but then my wife said "what if Netflix ever implodes" and it was enough of a push to convince me.

7. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

8. Workshed

Who else binged S2 over the weekend?

I did ! I did!

Really enjoyed it. Of course, there was a bit of repetition
    Joyce's house gets torn up AGAIN
    , and I was pretty let-down by the
    lackluster backstory to Max and her weird-ass brother; seriously, what is the point of those two characters?
    , but everything else worked to the same level as S1. Hopper was so good, and the Snow Ball was a perfect way to close.

Things that shocked me:
    Every man in Eleven's life treats her, at a high-level, the same way: keeps her locked up for her "protection." This is true for Papa, Hopper, and Mike. I liked that Eleven called out Hopper on this.
    The lack of resolution to the New Mutants-esque storyline in episode 7. Thought for sure we'd see 008 show up for the grand finale, but no! Gonna save her for S3, I guess, and it keeps the door open for future such characters who escaped.
    The mullet bully. Biggest WTF of the season. Reminded me of a character from Wet Hot American Summer or something. He played it like a parody. Weird.

Thoughts?

9. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

We finished up last night. It was a good season, but I can't help but feel a little let down compared to last year. I think the main cast might be getting a bit bloated, and it felt like the core group of kids, Mike in particular, is starting to take a backseat in favor of other characters. I have to wonder if Finn Wolfhard's role in IT limited his availability for Stranger Things 2.

Episode 7 seems to be widely held as the worst of the series, thus far. The one real bright spot of the episode was the inclusion of The Bank Robbery from the Escape from New York soundtrack.

10. Workshed

Yeah, I imagine IT had a lot to do with Mike's screentime in ST.

I've read some of the discourse on ep 7, and I hafta disagree. I really liked it, in that it showed us a part of the world and characters outside of the little Indiana town. Plus, I liked
    008: Cool powers, cool look, cool attitude. I hope we see more of her.

To me, it's clear this season was about setting the stage for future seasons. Lots of world-building at work.

One real miss:

the dema-dog in the fridge. Whatever happened to that?

Steel76 likes this.
  11. I've only watched the first two episodes so far and enjoy it.

Workshed likes this.
  12. Steel76

I agree, I though it was one of the better episodes, as it was nice to get a break from the small town, and see something new.
    And I wouldn't mind if they move the show into the big city, in the next season, and bring back the outcasts.

13. Steel76

Another great season :)
    Once again, they succeeded with the whole 80:s atmosphere.
    You could tell they got a bigger budget to work with, since the CGI creatures looked great this time.

I read that they are aiming for a total of four seasons.

Hope there are no delays, so we can expect Stranger Things 3, next Halloween.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  14. Zombie Dude

I'm about 4 or 5 episodes in and really enjoying it. The kid actors are so great. Looking forward to seeing where this season ends up.

15. Dave

Dave Pimp

Loved S2! Good stuff. You really care about all the characters at this point. I read some complaints online about Eleven's story/journey. I won't elaborate/spoil but I had no issues with it and really enjoyed it.

16. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

I thought Season 2 sucked. The overarching storyline basically rehashed and recycled most of the beats of the first season note for note and nothing new was really brought to the table other than there are now "more monsters" and "more characters" and nothing really clicks this season. The majority of the new characters as well seem to only be there to set up the third season (specifically the terribly incorporated 008 and her gang of misfits - Episode 7 was absolutely TERRIBLE) or
    get killed off.
    While Season 1 is far from great, and personally I found it overhyped, it was still fun and had that magic of tapping into nostalgia, but Season 2 lacked any sort of magic and even the characters we got to know and like from Season 1 feel unfocused and poorly written this time around. Everything felt so ham-fisted, forced, and rushed for this season and there was no breathing room given and every shock or twist this season I could see coming from a mile away. Season 2 overall was just predictable and boring, and really the only things going for it is that Paul Riser is a helluva actor and Bob's the new Barb.

17. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I also thought season one was over-hyped.

I'm on episode 6 of season two and I'm liking it much more than the first. That said, it hasn't really gone anywhere and there's only three episodes left.

18. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

Anyone who was interested in that Target exclusive set but didn't want to spend $25 on it, it's listed in their Black Friday ad for $10. Not sure how limited this release was, so who knows if they'll actually have them in stock then.

19. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

We took our time getting through it, but it was enjoyable. I'm hoping though that Will is finally developed into a real character in Season 3 instead of more of the perpetual victim that always needs saving. I was fine with Episode 7. It's one-off-ness is a lot more forgiveable in a Netflix setting where you can quickly binge watch to the next episode, than it would be on regular network broadcasting and force you to wait another week for the outcome of the previous cliffhanger. It was important for Eleven's character development and also a plotpoint needed for her to develop her powers to the point she needed to take them in the finale. I think the only alternative they had was weaving that arc into the other episodes, which only would have made those episodes weaker as well as harder to follow.

What did surprise me, however, is after heavily implying that water was a major weakness for the Mind Flayer that it didn't come to anything. Maybe that was the point of Bob's death? He was clearly deducing in that direction with the discovery that the vines avoided major bodies of water as well as using the sprinkler system to stop the Demo-Dog from going down the stairs. (Also, Will not getting into the bath. He used the heat as the excuse which jibes with everything we know, but his sheer look of terror at the tub paints a different picture. I doubt he even got close enough to even test it.) I guess this is one of the things they are saving for Season three.

20. Zombie Dude

Finished season 2 the other night. I really enjoyed this season. I love these characters. The fact that they can take a crazy bully character (Billy) and make you feel sorry for them as you understand why they have all this pent up rage was something that really impressed me. I feel like you don't see too much of that these days.
    The love triangle with Nancy, Jonathan and Steve is also really interesting to watch play out. The show makes you care for both characters. It also lead to one of my favorite moments in the show when Nancy and Jonathan go on a little quest together.
    Another of my favorite bits was at the end of the last episode when the kids go to the dance. Your heart goes out to Dustin here.

My two small issues I have off the top of my head are with episode 7 only focusing on 11. It wasn't a bad episode but it does slow things down a bit.
    The other was that
    there were no Demigorgon's this season. The Demidog's were cool but I assumed they were just one breed of a hive or something. I was expecting to see some of the bigger creatures show up but they never do and it's something that's not explained.
    Not a big deal but it did surprise and slightly disappoint me.

Steel76 likes this.