Stuff you don't miss from early DVD releases

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by Hellbilly, Jul 21, 2010.

?

I didn't like ...

1. "Get Ready For Fox DVD" Promo Ads

1.1%
  2. Forced Buena Vista Trailers

9.1%
  3. Confusing early New Line DVD Menus

1.1%
  4. Flipper Discs

20.5%
  5. Cardboard Snapper Cases

46.6%
  6. Letterboxed

17.0%
  7. Those Universal Promo ads

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Confusing early Universal DVD Menus

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. other

4.5%
  1. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Remember the annoyance?
    Which one of these features did you dislike the most?

2. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Cardboard snapper cases for me. All the others were annoying but still either crop up from time to time or were replaced by a more modern counterpart. For instance, you don't see the "Get Ready For Fox DVD" ad anymore, but you do see the "You're a fucking idiot for buying this DVD when there's BLU-RAY! See here, look at what we mean.. Even compressed to fit on a standard DVD you can just totally see how cool Blu-ray looks in comparison to your stupid old DVD. Isn't that AWESOME or WHAT? BUY BLU-RAY! BUY BLEEEEWWWWWWWW RAAAAAAYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!" one.

3. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Forced trailers sucked, but nothing was worse than those cardboard snapcases! :mad: Warner, New Line, and Image Entertainment were all guilty of using these - can't remember who else? Seemed like Warner used them the longest. Whether you bought your dvds in a store or online, often times the packaging was already damaged. Who was the dumbass that invented the snapcase?!?

4. Bluenoser

Bluenoser New Member

And sometimes taking the theft protection stickers off would rip the case if you weren't careful. They were awful, just awful.

5. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

Snapper Cases.

Another annoying thing for me was being forced to watch Lloyd Kaufman's retarded bantering before the main feature on a Troma DVD would begin.

6. SickNick89

SickNick89 Member

All suck but snapper cases take the cake. and they hung on waaay too long aswell. Warner was still using those up until 2003-04.
    Another option I would add to the list is full screen releases from MGM (or any studio really). I remember Pumpkinhead and Childs Play as barebones FULLSCREEN releases. Artisans release of Cujo was the same.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
  7. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Definitely cardboard snapper cases.

Letterboxed DVD's still exist every now and then, and even Lionsgate has recently released DVD's that aren't anamorphic.

I wish Security Stickers would completely disappear, but they're still around. It looks like several major studios haven't been putting them on their recent releases however...so there's hope.

8. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

Yep, cardboard snapper cases. They were just a horrible idea. Flipper disks would have been my second choice, though now that I think about it, forced trailers/ads/etc. are pretty damn annoying. I guess I haven't experienced it too much for it to really grate on my nerves though.

My only other issue would be listing menus and scene selection as special features. That's just dumb.

9. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

those all suck but I really hate the cardboard cases. Too bad we are getting flipper discs on Blu. And not enough Blu's go straight into the movie.

10. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

for me flipper discs then cardboard snap cases

11. KamuiX

KamuiX The Eighth Samurai

The cardboard snapper cases for sure. But another thing I don't miss, which I guess the same can be said for people that still don't have HD and are watching the commercials on SDTV, are the "look at the difference!" commercials they'd play on TV and even at the beginning of VHS tapes during the first year of the format. Did they think any of these actually worked over actually walking into a store and looking at a DVD in person?

And hell, I'm already happy about something that I believe has pretty much disappeared from the early days of Blu: I believe it was WB (maybe some others as well) that didn't even really have a menu, the film would play automatically, and if you pushed Top Menu on the remote, you'd get a really busy text menu with all of the extras listed and just a "Resume Movie" option down the bottom. Yuck.

12. Marshall Crist

Marshall Crist New Member

TRULY forced trailers are the worst, but I never ran into them on major studio releases. Indian and Mexican movies, yes. Sony STILL puts semi-forced trailers on their Blu-rays! You can skip past them, but cannot fast-forward or go directly to menu. Also HATED studio logos that were ten times louder than the feature. I'm talking to you, MGM. Did they ever dial this back?

13. booper71

booper71 Lord of the Thighs.

I voted "other" because the disc-rot of the early flicks were carried over from the laserdisc era, thus alot of my pristinelly kept discs became flawed, mostly the fox, simitar, and Koch releases.

14. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I was torn between flipper discs, cardboard snap-cases, and letterboxing.

I ended up going with letterboxing, because it is the only one that affects the presentation of the movie itself. And now that widescreen TVs have become more standardized, these discs do not hold up at all.

15. blu

blu New Member

Definitely don't miss the snapper case. Figures Warner would use cardboard again with BD, i.e. the digibooks. No thanks Warner.

16. MacReady

MacReady New Member

Dolby 2.0 audio. :rolleyes:

17. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

Forced trailers really pissed me off. It would be one thing if the trailers were horror or even sci-fi related, but Buena Vista would stick some stupid fucking romantic comedy in on the trailers, or some other shit I would never be interested in.

As far as cardboard snapper cases, I really didn't mind them.

18. Fistfuck

Fistfuck Slowest to 2000 posts

The thing that bothered me about the flipper discs is, if you wanted to watch widescreen, "widescreen" would be written on the opposite side of the disc. This confused me a few times because, obviously, discs read from the bottom. So I would put the "widescreen" side facedown and end up with fullscreen.

19. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

Yes! that fucking MGM logo is like walking into a gunshot. i cannot count the number of times i've put on a dvd late at night when everyone else is asleep and then had to dive for the remote because the normal volume setting on my amp makes the MGM logo sound like the house is being buzzed by a plane.

I voted other, because the thing i hated most and miss least is full-frame transfers of widescreen movies. whether it was two transfers, one on each side, or two separate releases, or a case like child's play or cujo, it just always made me wanna slap whoever actually wanted their movies like that.

as far as snapper cases go, am i the only one who had no problem with them? in fact, i actually kind of liked them. not because i thought they were a better way of holding the dvd, which they clearly were not, but they made much better use of artwork than the standard cases do now. especially since every major studio stopped putting inserts in their releases now. take a look at something like the exorcist 25th anniversary dvd, with the foldout cover. that was a really nice looking package, one you'd never see with the standard cases now. and some of warner's classic releases like Them!, The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms, The Thing From Another World, The Time Machine, they all took full advantage of the extra space afforded them by the interior cover. I could have picked up the 4-film release from warner's that included Beast from 20,000 Fathoms and Them!, but i actually went out of my way to find the old snapper case release (each was about $5 new, btw), because i like them better.

20. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

Snapper cases = HATE.