Stuff you don't miss from early DVD releases

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by Hellbilly, Jul 21, 2010.

?

I didn't like ...

1. "Get Ready For Fox DVD" Promo Ads

1.1%
  2. Forced Buena Vista Trailers

9.1%
  3. Confusing early New Line DVD Menus

1.1%
  4. Flipper Discs

20.5%
  5. Cardboard Snapper Cases

46.6%
  6. Letterboxed

17.0%
  7. Those Universal Promo ads

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Confusing early Universal DVD Menus

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. other

4.5%
  1. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

I really hated those flimsy cardboard snapper cases!

I would have voted 'Other' for disc rot, but I don't think it has happened in my collection yet (knock on wood).

2. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

It seemed that despite how low the volume level happened to be, the "Are you ready for Fox?" would shatter windows and eardrums.

3. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Funny enough, you actually get those ads on some blu-rays. Kinda leaves you like, "Errr..." :confused:

~Matt

4. Shlockjock81

Shlockjock81 New Member

Forced trailers all the way. Forcing the customer to watch the trailers upon repeated viewings is nothing but tedious. The option to skip them should ALWAYS be there.

5. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

Flipper discs are really the only ones that make sense. Everything else is destined to be par for the course in the fuiture, and crapper snappers don't remind me any less of CD digipacks.

6. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

Forced trailers are the worst. The flipper discs suck too, I'm always annoyed when I get something that uses these!
    As for the snapper cases... imo the difference between these cases and the all plastic case is pretty trivial.

7. j tea

j tea New Member

Maybe off-genre here, but the first few seasons of The Simpsons dvds had way to many screens with irritating animations in between to wade through until you could pick which episode you wanted to watch. Even then you had to go through whether you wanted commentary, deleted scenes, etc.

8. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

I totally agree. I never hated the snap cases (I actually love the sound they make when you close them--not sure why...) except for when the security stickers pulled off the artwork, but that happens much more often with the regular plastic cases as well when the artwork gets improperly inserted.

9. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

The main reason I hated them is that by chance if you bought one where the plastic "snapper" part was cracked, or happened to crack later on, it was impossible to buy a replacement piece. The only way I've managed to fix cases was to cannibalize from other DVDs in my collection I didn't care about.

10. rhett

rhett Administrator

Cardboard cases suck, yeah, but you can still own a snapper DVD without problem. Having a non-anamorphic letterbox DVD, though, is almost unwatchable on a new TV set. Yuck.

11. Chunkblower

Chunkblower Member

Full frame only releases of widescreen movies.

Perfect? Hardly.

12. Darga

Darga Narcissistic Personality

My initial thought was to vote for the snapper case. I was just gathering up some old Image DVDs to sell and noted (with a look of extreme disdain on my face) those horrible cardboard cases.

The real issue of course is the non-anamorphic transfer. I never appreciated all the whining until I got a widescreen TV a couple years ago.

13. evildeadfan123

evildeadfan123 Sam & Dean Winchester

The crappy Cardboard cases, the "Get Ready For Fox DVD" Promos. I hated the Cardboard cases because they would almost always be dented, and it was very easy for them to get dented or creases on the cases. Very bad idea that now I am so thankful that DVD is no longer packaged in the cardboard cases anymore.

14. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

I went with the double sided DVDs just because I remember having a lot of problems playing some of them. The Munsters sets come to mind. I remember returning that set twice before just giving up on it. I heard the classic monster Universal sets also had problems due to the double sided discs, hence why I never picked them up.

15. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

i agree, that would suck. it has honestly never happened to me though. I dunno how many snapper dvds i've got in my collection, but its gotta be around 2 dozen.

16. Damage

Damage Mirror Mirror

Non-anamorphic letterboxed movies. I vowed I would not upgrade my DVD library to Blu-ray when I picked up my PS3 for games and movies but watching some of these discs like Force 10 from Navarone or Marked for Death, well, it really takes a lot out the enjoyment of watching these movies, so I might cave and do the double-dip anyway.

17. TheDreamMaster

TheDreamMaster New Member

I'd have to say stuff being letterboxed, though it didn't really affect me until around 2004 or so. Close second would be flippers, just because some of them were a little fucked sometimes. I actually don't mind snappers still. They stick out on the shelf, which is a pain in the ass sort of, but I don't really hate 'em.

18. Coverdale

Coverdale Guest

I picked crapper snappers (even though they DO bring back some good memories of 2000-2001, when DVD was "new" to me).

What I hate now are those "environmentally friendly" cases which have come out in the past year or two with the really flimsy inside (you know, the case carved out behind the disc so you can actually feel the artwork on the back. They feel really flimsy and easy to crush in.

19. evildeadfan123

evildeadfan123 Sam & Dean Winchester

Actually all of the above, and I forgot double sided DVDs. I purchased the 1st 2 seasons of Miami Vice and Knight Rider years ago, and I quit buying them until all the seaons were released single-sided and in Complete Series Box Sets.

20. Uncle Jay

Uncle Jay Member

I can deal with cardboard snapper-cases, and 4x3 Letterboxed movies. What I can't deal with is FLIPPING DISCS! The forced promos are a close second.

-UJ