Subtitles vs. Dubbing

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by Ash28M, Aug 28, 2004.

?

Subtitles vs. Dubbing

1. Subtitled

82.1%
  2. Dubbed

15.4%
  3. Neither (I’m hard Core I tough it out)

2.6%
  4. I don't do Foreign (I buy American)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Just out of Curiosity. How to you prefer to watch your foreign films

Last edited: Aug 28, 2004
  2. wizzer

wizzer get outta here ewe

if the movie has a seroius tone and it is in one language that isn't english, i actually prefer listening to the movie in it's original language with subtitles.

but if the movie filmed and some actors are speaking english, and some are speaking italian, and some are speaking german, i guess i would prefer an english dub.

if the movie is silly, then sometimes the english dub is the only way to go. like 'for your height only'---its a phillipino movie and all the characters are dubbed with stupid american voices-like a few sound like 1930's gangsters, a couple sound like mexican stereotypes and one guy sounds like a black guy from the ghetto. :lol:

also, where would we be with out bob's wonderful english voice?

delicatessen, amalie, city of lost children are all beautiful movies for me to listen to because to me, the french language is very soothing and relaxing to listen to.

i really enjoyed listening to crouching tiger hidden dragon in the cantoneese soundtrack rather than the english dub also.

3. PMcG_6

PMcG_6 Guest

I prefer to see it how it was made. I saw 'Crouching Tiger...' and 'Brotherhood of the Wolf' in theaters subtitled. That's how I watch them at home. Tried to watch 'Brotherhood...' dubbed but the voices were off and it took me out of the movie. Dialogue wasn't quite the same.

4. zombi3

zombi3 Pure Evil

I prefer dubbed. If I want to read for an hour and a half I'll go to the library. Besides, sometimes the dubbing is one of the best parts of the movie, as in the classics Burial Ground and Hell of the Living Dead. :evil:

5. speanroc

speanroc I WANNA BAN

i always prefer any film in thier most original form

6. Mattster

Mattster Guest

It depends on whether or not the movie is interesting enough to make want to read the subs. Crouching Tiger and Brotherhood blew and I couldn't take those movies subtitled... or dubbed actually.

7. life_o_petey

life_o_petey Guest

almost always subtitled. If there is a lot of fast dialogue, i'd rather have it dubbed though.

8. Ichi

Ichi Guest

Well, lets just say that horrible subtitles doesnt ruin as much as horrible dubbing...

9. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

Dubbing is the worst thing that you could do in a movie.
    Anyone had the chance to see John Wayne speaking German?
    Well, having Emmanuele Beart dubbed in English it's the same. Stupid. Lame. Pathetic.

That's when the original dialogue is RECORDED during filming of course.
    I mean, 50% of the acting IS the voice. So you miss 50% of the film, no matter how good or bad the film is. I can't believe that someone would chose the dubbed version. Reading ain't that hard.

Of course, I live in Greece which I think is one of the VERY few countries in Europe that does not dubbs any any film at all. So we learn to read subs very fast from a very small age.

10. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

You guys should hear Arnold Schwarzenegger dubbed in German. He speaks like a University Professor :D
    I prefer subtitles but I love the cheesy dubbed (Italian) flicks as well.

11. Deaddevilman

Deaddevilman Guest

Subtitles... there's no way someone reading a script in a sound booth is capable of matching an actor's emotions.

12. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Subtitles, for the most part. I would never take an English dub of an Asian film, nor most European films. There are the exceptions where the whole cast is speaking like five different languages and they're going to dub it regardless, in that case I'll take the dub. The way I see it is that dubbing can make a really bad film watchable for the comedic value of the dub, and make a really good film barely watchable due to the bad dubbing.

13. moogong

moogong Arte Suave

Subs...cause it's like reading only you don't need to use your imagination.

14. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

Good poll. I gotta go with subs. Dubbing can seriously hurt a movie, case in point: Media Blaster's Ichi the Killer DVD. It is crazy to watch a Japanese movie with eveyone speaking in English accents!

15. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    As most of you have said, subs are generally the way to go. I usually only watch a dubbed film if I want to see something and I'm a bit tired, then I don't really want to read, I just want to sit back and listen. I recently picked up an old favorite of mine, Luc Besson's Subway. I had always seen it dubbed. I can now sit down and watch it in its original French language version. Sometimes we don't get this options and have to settle for a crappy dubbed version, because it's the only version available in the states!

16. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

Subtitled of course. :) Dubbed only works on one movie... Story of Ricki. :) :)

17. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Subtitles, I always prefer to hear a movie in it's native language. I hate bad dubbing, unless it makes an otherwise really crappy movie funny due to the fact.

18. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

Well, sad to say, these days I have grown amazingly impatient. Even the films out of my collection, when it is growing late at night and my drunk is starting to peak, I often pass films because they are subbed.

What can I say? Maybe I just need some pussy.

19. betterdan

betterdan Guest

That is the answer to all of life's problems mcchrist. Now that you mention it, I could stand to have some myself.

20. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Subtitles for me, unless I'm with some people and want to have fun. Bravo to Media Blasters for putting hilariously bad dubs on most of their Asian discs; it's made many nights much funnier.

In all seriousness, original language with subtitles all the way, unless it is an Italian film that was filmed in both languages. With ZOMBIE, for example, I'd rather hear the main three actors real voices than the true vocal talents of the island extras. Same goes for DEEP RED - I can't stand Hemmings' Italian dub.