Suggestions for region free Blu-Ray player

Discussion in 'General' started by Jeremy, Aug 22, 2014.

1. Jeremy

Jeremy Closet SCREAM fan

Yes, it's that time again, that time when somebody has to butt in and ask what region free Blu-Ray player everybody is buying at the moment.

I actually have a region free Blu-Ray player for my apartment already, it works fine but it's an older model that can no longer be bought, except for used or refurbished versions. My business partner and I need one for our office however. I'm looking for one that will both...

A) Handle both Blu-Rays and DVDs from other regions
    B) Handle both PAL and HD 50hz

Anyone who's bought recently please let me know where you ordered from and what your experience has been!

2. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I recently bought this player (with the $50 extra hardware mod) for just under $180 shipped:

http://www.bombayelectronics.com/So..._HDMI_Blu_ray_Disc_Player_w_p/so_bdps5200.htm

It plays everything. Region locked Blu-rays and DVD's. PAL content plays fine, and 50i Blu-ray content is no problem with the known 50i Blu-rays that I've tested on it. 60i content is no problem either.

It also has no problem at all accepting factory firmware updates. Wireless works well streamed to the player, and the 3D option has played all my 3D Blu-rays just fine.

The picture quality is exceptionally good paired up with my 50" Sony LED 3D HDTV. I have that HDTV calibrated with the Spears & Munsil HD Benchmark disc though, so your results might vary.

It doesn't have a front LCD display on the unit however, but that's really my only criticism of the player.

I would recommend Bombay Electronics also. Use coupon code "Bargainoffers" for an extra 5% off. And with the free shipping I received the player via UPS within only 3 days. I purchased my last region free DVD player from them also.

3. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

That looks pretty sweet. So, are they just moding the original 5200 to make it region free? I can see the 5200 on other sites on sale for $99, but it says nothing about region free or give an option to be so.

4. Katatonia

Yeah, it's hardware modified (for the additional extra $50) to make it fully region free and for NTSC/PAL conversion.

Technically it's a "region switchable" player, since you enable the Blu-ray regions by hitting the color buttons on the remote. It's also easy to then find out what the exact region locking of a disc is via that method.

The cheaper $99 versions everywhere are just stock factory units, and can't play DVD/BD regions beyond 1 and A, or convert PAL.

5. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I bought my Orei modded blu-ray player from Bombay Electronics a couple of years ago. Still works great and handles everything I throw at it. It doesn't have a wireless function, though I've never needed a firmware update.

6. Jeremy

Jeremy Closet SCREAM fan

Thank you so much for the suggestion! That is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for!

7. thing

thing Well-Known Member

I have a region free oppo player which was top of the line when it came out, not cheap though

8. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

Panasonic makes a nice one too..

9. Chomp

Chomp Rudest Motherfucker on HD

10. Dave

Dave Pimp

I don't have too many region locked blus but I just strip the copy protection and make a new disc. There are plenty of free tools online that allow this.

It's certainly not the solution for everyone and it doesn't address playing PAL DVDs, but I wanted to add it into the conversation. With blanks being relatively cheap, even BD50s, it may be a better solution for some.

11. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

Thank you for the suggestion. I've been using it for a few weeks and loving it. For playing PAL discs its made for a much better expeierence than ripping them to an MP4 and playing them on my PS3. I just got my first Region B disc this week and it handled it perfectly. I am giddy about getting more Tinto Brass blu-rays and Hammer Horror DVDs. October has been month of Horror but November just might be a month of Spaghetti Westerns and Russ Meyer now that I'm fully region free. :banana:

12. Katatonia

Cool, glad it worked well for you too! ;)

I've had mine about 5 months now, and it's played absolutely everything I've thrown at it. No issues at all with region locked imports, those pesky 50hz/60hz discs, etc..

Also if you have a Wi-Fi connection, you can probably connect the player to the Sony network and it'll offer you 2 free "streamable" HD movies to own. I hadn't even realized it when I purchased the player, but when I set up the Wi-Fi it came up that 2 free movies came with the player purchase. I think the offer should still be valid, but I'm not certain.