Suicide Club... WTF?!?

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by dmeister, Jan 12, 2004.

1. dwatts

dwatts New Member

You've got to be in a certain frame of mind to enjoy this one. At times it follows rather conventional methods, but then suddenly veers off into strange placs you couldn't expect it to go - such as a sequence that looks like a Japanese version of Rocky Horror Picture Show. At times I was reminded of Clockwork Orange, too.

This is a case where, ultimately, the theme of the film outweighs the story based cinematic aspects. Is this a message film first and a horror film second, or as is more common, a horror film first?

Suicide Club's story is simple enough. There's a rash of suicides (up to 50 people at a time participating), and the authorities are at a loss to explain them. Is this mass psychosis? Should the police investigate, since they don't appear to be murders?

Those looking for a traditional end to this one, where the plot winds up in some fictional way leaving you with questions, you might be disapointed. Rather, the message of the film IS the story, and it's that which you're left with.

I thoroughly enjoyed the film, and it got a so-so to good DVD release stateside. It is intriguing, but some might be put off by the song sequences. However, putting the songs aside, there is a good reason for them being there, and for them being as cheesy as they are (it's kind of the point). I never had an issue with them myself, though I could see some who would.

Some of the suicide footage is really quite good, even for gorehounds. The opening sequence, if you go in blind and don't know what's going to happen, will have quite an impact. Keep in mind, this is a film where the world is turned upside down - the adults are confused, lost, immature in their approach - while the kids are in tune, clear of purpose, and know what they want.

I guess you'll need an open mind for it, but personally, I enjoyed it very much. As a message film - which talks directly about Japanese culture, but still has resonance in western cultures - it's perhaps a little heavy-handed. I'm going to be forgiving of that given this is a foreign film (not exactly sure how this would play in it's home country), and that I've not seen anything quite as brave before.

Recommended.

2. Deaddevilman

Deaddevilman Guest

Nice call... the actor who played the King of the Bowling alley, played Dr. Frank-N-Furter in the Japanese production of The Rocky Horror Picture Show.
    He's glam rocker who goes by the name of Rolly and of course... plays rock and rolly!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2006
  3. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Holy crap, I didn't know that :D