Suicide Squad (2016, David Ayer) non-spoiler Review

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by thing, Aug 4, 2016.

1. thing

thing Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Suicide Squad (2016)

Directed by David Ayer

This is the third film in the new DC cinematic universe and they have picked an un-expected story of a group of criminals taken from their prison cell to go on missions for the government which had a lot more opportunities for whacky fun. As is the case with the DC movies, this one is much more cinematic looking than the Marvel films with a real breadth of vision.

The casting is excellent and there is a surprise good turn from Jai Courtney (Die Hard 5, Terminator 5) who is usually anywhere from awful to bland. The Squad all have excellent chemistry together and bring a lot of chuckles to the proceedings and Jared leto might be the best live action Joker since Cesar Romero, I look forward to seeing him with a larger role in some of the films to come. It is a shame they are not in a better film but I certainly do not think it is as bad as the many savage reviews I read prior to going in.

The first act sets the characters up but after that the story is a bit of a hot mess that feels like there are huge chunks missing. The structure and endgame of the story do not really work and the constant use of songs over score feels cheap and gimmicky at times. However despite its short comings the dialogue and character performances/chemistry made this quite a bit of fun and whilst not really a good movie it was still mostly entertaining and for some reason I felt shades of Escape from New York.

6/10

2. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

There are scenes missing. Many. Scenes from the fucking trailers are missing. Many Joker scenes are also absent. DC panicked once again, causing them to fuck up this film which would have easily been a no-brainer hit. The positive reception to the Bohemian Rhapsody trailer DID in fact cause the executives to reshoot several scenes. There were multiple editors and WB lost confidence in their director...again. If this film loses money, the top executives at WB need to go. It's not Ayer, Nolan, Goyer, Leto's tattoos or Will Smith's fault. Once again, we have to hope this film receives an ultimate cut on blu-ray. This film was rushed from day one and according to the reviews, it shows. I will see the film in a couple of days regardless. I'm disappointed as to who the villain is. The film probably would have benefited from a Batman Rogues Gallery foe like Poison Ivy, but I digress. Fucking Warner Brothers. End of rant.

3. thing

thing Well-Known Member

It's scheduled for a a massive opening weekend, pretty sure it's make a lot of money just like BvS did

4. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Rottentomatoes is giving it 29% Critics. That's disappointing.

othervoice1 likes this.
  5. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

And it will have just as massive a dropoff as BvS.

othervoice1 likes this.
  6. delicreep

delicreep Active Member

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/08/02/suicide-squad-is-a-huge-mess

I'm not sure why people are surprised. WB has been flailing creatively and thematically in trying to get their multi-hero universe up and running from the kernel that was the failure of Man of Steel.

I haven't seen BvS, so there's not much I can comment on directly. But, if Wonder Woman turns out to be the first honest-to-goodness good movie to come out of the DC Deathmarch to Justice League...how ironic.

othervoice1 likes this.
  7. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

I heard something about Adam Sandler being on Rotten Tomatoes? LOL. :)

8. thing

thing Well-Known Member

Even so BvS made a ton of money even with drop off and unlike when I saw BvS and the theatre seemed bummed out afterwards, everyone was really positive when they came out of ss , despite realizing it was pretty flawed.

9. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

I had plans to go tonight but there was a family emergency so I'll go this weekend.

10. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Can someone explain to me why this film has to generate $750 million in order to be considered successful with a $150 million budget? Did WB spend half a billion dollars on advertising?

11. thing

thing Well-Known Member

Well marketing aside it will need to take 300 million to break even on a 150 mill production cost. It seems unlikely they spent 225 on marketing.. It's probably more to do with expectations of the franchise and what they want to make them comfortable going forward.
    I'm pretty sure they will make that world wide at least and then there is bluray/ merchandise sales down the road too.. They'll be fine but whether they are good enough to match their projections is another story

buck135 likes this.
  12. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Saw this last night and really enjoyed it. I was very worried after seeing how bad the critics reviews were. I feel like we may get an alternate cut come bluray which would be nice. Not sure why they'd cut any Joker stuff as he was a massive curiosity for most people but what's still in there is interesting and feels like it's straight out of a comic book. Personally I had a blast and can't imagine the fans or general public will receive it as badly.

buck135 likes this.
  13. thing

thing Well-Known Member

David Ayers in an interview yesterday said there would be no alternate or extended cut and claimed this as his cut.. but money talks and if there is an outcry for it y'never know

14. Zombie Dude

The film has just come out. I'm not sure it'd be a wise move to say an alternate cut is coming before a lot have people have even seen the theatrical version. I think it could still very much be a possibility, especially when they were showing two different cuts to selected audience's at one stage.

buck135 likes this.
  15. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

As soon as I saw Will Smith was cast in this movie I had a bad feeling about it....

16. Zombie Dude

He ended up being one of the most enjoyable characters.

17. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

That figures - lol

Zombie Dude likes this.
  18. Dave

Dave Pimp

It is ridiculous that something like Avengers 2 was a mild disappointment because it made under 2 billion or whatever. Or that Batman v Superman was a dude with a global haul of $870 million. It's ridiculous. At least we got something like Deadpool - controlled costs and minimal studio interference. Surprising from Fox. If the studios want to shit money out and be disappointed with $750 million, that is on them for whatever the reason - excessive costs, bad movie, etc.

At least we are horror fans at our core. Lights Out cost $5 million and is a success at the current total of $70 million.

othervoice1 and Anaestheus like this.
  19. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

So true. All of it.

So, I just saw SS. Very middle of the road, but a huge step forward for Warner. Though it still has the same damned weaknesses. The story is muddled in the telling and has way too many plot threads. I get that it's connective tissue, but did we really need any of those scenes with Batman or so many origin stories for all of these characters? While the original design was nice, Twitchy-witch was pretty silly by the end. And couldn't they have at least put a little thought into what her big plan was other than quite literally "I will build a machine that will destroy the world"? Jai Courtney was passable in his attempt to channel Tom Hardy from "Bronson" but I still found it distracting. And damn, was this a dark film in 3D. Easily the biggest criticism is the pacing. The film seems like it starts the climax about 30 minutes in and just keeps running. There's little attempt to build up any momentum or mystery. Oddly, this same criticism could have been launched at Star Trek Beyond (which I loved), but SS had neither the witty dialogue and character moments nor the bravura action set-pieces to help overcome the weaknesses in the story.

As expected, Robbie is a highlight of the film. She nailed it. Jared Leto was less effective in his gangster moments, but the bits about the romance with Harley were probably the best part of the film. Their chemistry is great and I really kept wishing that the story was just about them. Smith was fine, but I have to admit that I like the character a bit more in the Arrow series even though that actor is easily less talented than Smith.

I'll also add that the score borrows its main motifs from Avengers and (oddly) On Her Majesty's Secret Service. They're great scores and, normally, I don't mind such references. But, for some reason, I found it distracting.

Overall, it's not a bad film. It's just rather forgettable. But, it did definitely whet my appetite for a Harley/Joker film. So, I hope there is one in the works.

20. Zombie Dude

That's Deathstroke in Arrow, not Deadshot. Tut tut tut.

Edit: On further inspection it appears Deadshot is on Arrow but I personally think he looks terrible.
    [​IMG]