Suicide Squad (2016, David Ayer) non-spoiler Review

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by thing, Aug 4, 2016.

1. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Saw the film. It was pretty good, not great but not bad for film of characters that most people know next to zero about. Like Guardians of the Galaxy, it involved characters that aren't well known. But Guardians did a better job of showcasing them.

Back to Suicide Squad. Let's get this out of the way, Will Smith and Margot Robbie stole the show. Period. If they were not in this film, it would have really struggled. Will Smith was really good & had the best audience reactions to his scenes. Margot Robbie as Quinn was great, but let's not pretend it wasn't because she is really good looking. Every trailer showcased her, she was the main marketing "draw" to this movie. To think otherwise would be foolish. They put her in a skimpy outfit, and set her loose. Don't get me wrong, it was hot as hell, when she was on screen every other actor just disappeared. We know it and they know it. Every other squad member was bland in comparison. I wanna say this last thing about Quinn, I may be the only one, but I bet Fairuza Balk could have done the job admirably. It wouldn't have be as hot(actually I'll let everyone's personal taste in women decide that), but it could have been more psycho. and more dark. Actually a better fit to Leto. But then you wouldn't have the draw, like stated before, lol.

Boomerang, what the hell was that all about? Holy hell was he awful. He didn't do anything. Tell me, what did he do besides have most of lines make us say "what did he just say?" Killer Croc was boring too. Katana, alright that was ok I guess. Another rushed member. Big deal, you use a sword. Actually the best character in the squad was Diablo. He had the best story and was the only actor that seemed to be taking the role seriously. Like his character was a perfect fit for one of Nolan's Batman films. I'm being serious, he would have fit into those films like a glove. The other really good acting performance was by Viola Davis. She was excellent.

Now to The Joker. Ok, Leto was good as the Joker but let's just say Heath Ledger has zero to worry about. The problem here is Leto plays eccentric characters, so this wasn't a stretch imho. Heath Ledger became the Joker, Heath disappeared, Heath was no more, it was 100% the Joker. In SS, it was hey it's Leto playing the Joker, just like was hey it's Jack playing the Joker.

Now to the Enchantress, ok all I'm gonna say is that the whole ending reminded me of Ghostbusters, and fight with Gozer.

I just wanted to add this, I personally think Suicide Squad biggest problem was Deadpool. That's right, they wanted so much to be that movie. They re shot scenes just to add humor in, because the success of Deadpool. Problem here was Ryan Reynolds was NOT in this film as any of the characters. And no actor invested that much into a comic book movie as Ryan did. And none of these villains/heroes is even close to being interesting enough to warrant their own movie.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
  2. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Director said there was around ten minutes or so of footage that was left out. Because they "film" long scenes doesn't mean the every bit of film get put in the shot. Every director shoot several minutes of film just to get a few seconds on screen in some cases. Doesn't mean the other minutes are usable. The stuff that was left out(the 10 minutes and then some) was film that was usable. As stated by the director.

3. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I completely agree about the Gozer comparison. I was thinking the same thing. At some point I expected to hear "The traveler has come."

I don't agree about Captain Boomerang. He brought all of the humor to the film imo. I understood everything he said however I did struggle with Croc (which was a good thing). Other than "I have your scent," I really didn't want any dialogue from him.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  4. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

I read the first 20 or so issues of the New 52 era Suicide Squad. This movie pretty much had the same level of satisfaction. They didn't need to have a "save the world" scenario, at least not one so obvious to the world itself, but oh well. I enjoyed it. I laughed, I cried(eff you Will Smith! :oops:). One thing that did annoy me was the over-reliance on pop music to set the tone.

I'd say Deadpool was hands down a better movie, but I haven't felt the need to revisit it for some reason. I'd re-watch Suicide Squad right now :D

5. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

You can't really compare Ledger's Joker to Leto's. Leto played the character completely different so a comparison is pretty unfair. Performance wise Ledger wins but Leto's Joker was barely in the movie so it doesn't feel right to compare (at least for me)

Zombie Dude, buck135 and Mok like this.
  6. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Speaking of Joker, I wanted to see more of him. One great change from the comics is that..
    ..Joker wants Harley for real in the film. They have a real romance. In the comics, he only wants her for masochistic reasons. To punish her for, as he perceives, abandoning him and because he's truly a sociopath. Call me a hopeless romantic, but I like it better the other way. Maybe they will change that up in the future if they do a sequel, but for this film, it's cool that Joker seemingly would go through hell to get his woman back. And I really appreciated the nod to Alex Ross.

MisterTwister likes this.
  7. MisterTwister

Although I did like that it has been confirmed he was far more abusive in the original cut in the film before WB changed it to be more "romantic"

Here's some of the deleted abuse:

[​IMG]

Zombie Dude likes this.
  8. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Whoa! Crazy. Well yeah that's pretty much the heartlessness I was expecting. Well maybe not THAT much lmao
    Good call on deleting that. I think it's too "gangster" for Joker. Unless he was about to pull out a gag of some sort.

9. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

Leto did a fantastic job as Joker IMO. He just wasn't featured nearly as much in the film as Smith and Robbie.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  10. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Sounds like more to me.

11. Zombie Dude

Joker's a loose cannon. It makes sense that he'd be abusive yet love Harley at the same time. I'd like to see that stuff back in personally.

12. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Margot Robbie is pushing WB for a solo Harley film. Now that Man of Steel 2 and a Batman solo film are confirmed, that fills their timeline. I'm still hopeful for a Suicide Squad 2 with Poison Ivy.
    • Wonder Woman – June 2, 2017
    • Justice League Part One – November 17, 2017
    • The Flash – March 16, 2018
    • Aquaman – July 27, 2018
    • Untitled Movie – October 5, 2018
    • Shazam – April 5, 2019
    • Justice League Part Two – June 14, 2019
    • Untitled Movie – November 1, 2019
    • Cyborg – April 3, 2020
    • Green Lantern – June 19, 2020

13. MisterTwister

I got some chills when
    Batman flew behind Deadshot.
    It reminded me of Burton's Batman.

14. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

Man, I really do hate being a contrarian, but I have no idea how this movie is getting any kind of love from those on this site. A site I hold so high in esteem, regardless of that lame DVD fanatic. Maybe I should avoid every "comic" movie from now on, but I absolutely fucking hated this movie.

Forgive me.

Harry Warden likes this.
  15. MisterTwister

It's cool man.

Ptflea2 likes this.
  16. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

I'll get over it one day!

MisterTwister likes this.
  17. MisterTwister

That's the spirit :)

Ptflea2 likes this.
  18. Zombie Dude

You are forgiven ;)

Ptflea2 likes this.
  19. thing

thing Well-Known Member

From the small portion seen, Leto is my 2nd favourite live-action Joker behind Cesar Romero.

20. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Imo it boils down to this, people demanded that WB deliver a less serious comic book film. Here it is. Comic book films bring these characters to life. Sometimes they are right on the money (Harley), other times not so much (Killer Croc). To me, Captain America was always a lame character and the recent films haven't done anything to change my mind. Many believe the same about Henry Cavill's Superman. I however think he's superb in the role.

This movie is as incomplete as the theatrical version of BvS was. The executives started to get involved near the end. This explains the constant shift in tone. The soundtrack is another part of the problem. Finally, the weak CGI, lame villain and the "save the world" premise was a cop out. The film is what it is...nothing more. Seeing Margot Robbie brilliantly bring Harley Quinn to life was worth the price of admission for me.

Mok likes this.