Supernatural

Discussion in 'General' started by Damed, Sep 19, 2005.

1. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Supernatural returns tonight. It's about time. (Fucking Olympics!)

And can you believe that it's been picked up for a 10th season? That's gotta make it the longest running horror series ever, and combined with the upcoming spinoff show (which hopefully will be good) this series is going to go on forever!

2. evildeadfan123

evildeadfan123 Sam & Dean Winchester

I'm just stoked. I knew it would get renewed for another season, because the ratings have been the best they have been since 2011. We only have two new episodes, including tonight, and then a repeat on March 11th.

3. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

I kinda dropped out of the series lately.
    It used to be both me and my sisters favorite series. But even though there have been SOME great episodes during the last seasons, the endless drama between the brothers has really gotten to the point that I lost the interest in the characters. It's not as entertaining and fun as the first 5 seasons. It just feels like it's repeating it self over and over again. Really wish it had ended after the 5 seasons, as was the original plan.

Kinda wish that they made a spinoff with Crowley as a antihero mainguy. Brilliant character. He and Castiel are the only reason to watch this show, after they killed off Bobby, and the Brothers went all cry baby on each other.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  4. maybrick

I agree that there has been a bit of repetition, like how Sam at first has evil demon powers, and then he's soulless, and then he becomes possessed by an angel. He never is really in control of himself. It's about time that Dean becomes the bad guy for a change. Maybe that'll happen now that he has the Mark of Cain. I'm still enjoying the show though, and even after a decade it still has the ability to punch you in the gut. It totally surprised me when a particular character died this year.

5. Steel76

Yeah, I was also chocked by that. But they sure love to kill of likable characters in this show. No one is safe ;)

6. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

I still watch the show pretty regularly and still like it quite a bit even if it hasn't returned to the lofty heights of seasons 2-5.

I do appreciate the little things they do to shake up the series. But, I am so tired of the Sam and Dean bickering/lying/breaking up/getting back together that seems to run through half of every season. And over the past two seasons, I have enjoyed Dean's team-ups with new partners far more than I have enjoyed seeing the brothers together.

But, I will also say that the Cain episode was one of the best they've had in years. I'd actually really enjoy seeing Dean and Crowley run around together a lot more. I really hope that episode is a sign of things to come.

But, outside of the tired brother drama, the show is still pretty sharply written and has managed to keep coming up with pleasant surprises.

7. Steel76

Yes, even though I kinda lost interest in the series, it's still at the top of the genre when it comes to television.
    I really loved when Dean and Crowley teamed up, the chemistry and the kind of "Good Cop, Bad Cop" feel of it just worked great. I wish they are forced to team up again.
    Hell, kill off Sam and put Crowley in the game instead :D

8. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I've been watching Supernatural recently and just finished season three. It's a fun show so far.

The first season was so formulaic I almost didn't continue. I did like it, but it just felt like watching the same episode 22 times in a row. There's a ghost terrorizing the local teenagers, Sam & Dean show up and save the day, and everyone is safe. Also, they whine about dad a lot. And I should emphasize SAFE because that's how the show felt. There was no sense of danger.

But seasons 2 and 3 really stepped up their game, got a little more creative, and certainly stopped playing safe. Not every episode had the routine happy ending, which I appreciated. I also liked the new regulars they brought in (and mostly killed off!), like the Roadhouse group in season 2 and Bela and Ruby in season 3. And the ending of season 3 is THE PERFECT ENDING to the series! I'm almost thinking of stopping now, because I know the show will be heading downhill at some point. From what I'm reading, it sounds like I should stick it out through season 5 before parting ways?

Also want to mention that "The Devil's Roadmap" features on the seasons 1 and 2 blu-rays are probably the coolest interactive blu-ray features I've encountered. I had a blast exploring it, and was bummed that it didn't return for season 3.

Some of the standout episodes for me have been:

Season 1: "Scarecrow", "Faith", and "The Benders" - Julie Benz in "Faith" has been one of my favorite female characters to enter Sam and Dean's life throughout the series (and there have been a lot!). Really powerful ending too. A lot of people seem to hate "The Benders", but I'm a sucker for a fun backwoods slasher tale.

Season 2: "The Usual Suspects", "Croatoan", "Nightshifter", "Roadkill", "Hollywood Babylon", and "All Hell Breaks Loose (Part 1)" - Linda Blair is by far my favorite guest star and I love that they gave her such a great role here in "The Usual Suspects" (although they couldn't resist that last minute Exorcist jab). Even though they did a poor job subbing Vancouver for Hollywood, I thought "Hollywood Babylon" was a quirky movie-loving blast.

Season 3: "The Kids Are Alright", "A Very Supernatural Christmas", "Malleus Maleficarum", "Mystery Spot", and "Jus In Bello" - Coincidentally, I ended up watching "Mystery Spot" on February 2nd, which is the show's spin on Groundhog's Day. "Jus In Bello" is my favorite episode of the series so far, with a real humdinger of an ending. I LOVED it!

9. maybrick

Yeah, I usually recommend skipping Season 1 altogether and going straight to 2, and revisit it later as a Prequel. The series really didn’t get it’s momentum going until they got the Colt near the end of Season 1. Honestly I don’t see any reason why you would want to call it a day with Season 5 but it’s all up to you. Like any long series it has it’s ups and downs but there are TONS of great episodes later on that are among the best in the series. “Baby” from Season 11 for one example is AMAZING. Stick with it and never listen to internet whiners. There’s always people that feel the need to bitch about everything. Make up your own mind.

10. CPT HOOK

I think part of it is that with 10 more seasons at 22 - 24 episodes each, it's a little daunting. Over 200 episodes. At 40 mins each, over 133 hours of television! I've got a LOT of stuff to watch that's not Supernatural on top of that.

Season 3 was kind of perfect at a tighter 16 episodes. Really dug the ending, didn't necessarily mean I want to stop now, but I could walk away with a satisfying end to the series.

I'm probably for sure in for seasons 4 & 5, but I'll see how it goes from there.

11. maybrick

Granted it is a lot, but nobody says that you have to speed through the entire series. The last time I did that was back around Season 10, when I decided to watch the entire series before the new season began. It still took me longer than a month.

Season 3 was shorter because of the same writer strike that doomed Heroes.

12. maybrick

Also, I should add that I disagree with all of the people that think that it should have ended with Season 5. Yes, Kripke always planned to end it after a 5 year story arc, but if I am completely honest I have long felt that that season ending to be very underwhelming and cheap. It needed a far larger budget to achieve what it sought to. When they revisit the story in Season 11 I thought it had a far more satisfying conclusion.

13. CPT HOOK

Scoobynatural (the cross over of Scooby Doo and Supernatural) premieres tonight at 8PM.

[​IMG]

I'm still on season 4. I'm trying to decide if I should watch tonight's episode now or wait until I eventually make it there.

14. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

Haven't followed Supernatural but watched the Snoopy Doo ep and loved it. Really fun.