Surprise Hatchet Sequel: Victor Crowley (2017)

Discussion in 'General' started by Workshed, Aug 23, 2017.

1. sade

sade Active Member

Same here, the whole movie looked cheap, almost like an episode of Holliston. Does anyone know the budget for that one?

Zombie Dude and Steel76 like this.
  2. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I thought the gore looked cheaper as well, as the bloodsprays etc. was more over the top in the older movies.
    And didn't Crowley's makeup look less impressive this time?

For a movie called Victor Crowley, they should have unleashed him after a maximum of 20 minutes, and kept the focus on his rampage, instead of wasting most of the running time on Andrew, and the rest of the forgettable characters
    many who died in the plane crash, instead of being massacred by Crowley

I guess the reason why they were
    stuck in the plane
    , was to keep the cost down.

sade and Zombie Dude like this.
  3. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Just watched it now and agree with you Steel. It's not very good. There was a couple of funny moments I enjoyed and some of the characters were ok but the gore looked so cheap and Crowley was barely in it. It was really disappointing.

sade and Steel76 like this.
  4. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

5. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

I'll have two copies of this waiting for me today because I'm an idiot and forgot to cancel the more expensive one on Amazon like I mentioned on the last page.

Apart from a couple positive reviews here I'm seeing a lot of bad reviews for this now and I rarely rewatch new horror releases so I'm thinking about returning both copies and just renting it. Especially since I've just ordered Killer Klowns, NOTLD, Suspiria and The Burbs in the past couple of days.

6. CPT HOOK

Yeah, it seems like the theater crowd loved it and the people that have been illegally downloading it online aren't liking it so much. I'm curious how it'll hold up at home. To be fair, the theater crowd got the full fan experience, so it was more than just a movie.

For what it's worth, I'm not a big fan of Hatchet II or III, so I thought this was the closest to the original. So I guess your enjoyment may depend on if you liked the first film (or if you like Green's films in general).

7. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I'm still excited to see it, I've been tempted to watch a torrent, but as I've ordered from Amazon, I wanted watch the disc, it's been shipped today, problem is I live in the UK and it's coming from USA, they are noting expected delivery around 26 Feb! I hope not I can't wait that long.

8. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Mine should be in the mail box tomorrow. Looking forward to revisiting.

othervoice1 likes this.
  9. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Kinda disappointed with the bad reviews. But I'm still anxious to see the film for myself.

So what I'm planning to do is rewatch the first three films before I see the new one. Then make a judgement on the new installment. Going to do this for two reasons, one being I've only seen parts 2 & 3 just one time each.(I personally liked all three) And second, maybe part four isn't as bad, could have forgot the style of the series in general. Just got Victor Crowley Blu yesterday in the mail btw.

So last night I watched Hatchet I which I haven't seen in a long time. Planning to watch Hatchet II tonight, and so on.

Natas likes this.
  10. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

I really enjoy the first three. The first three had better kills, gore and more Crowley going berserk on screen.
    This isn't the best, it's the worst.

Imagine a Friday the 13th or Elm Street movie, were Jason/Freddy don't show up and start killing the cast until the last reel. It would get butchered by the fans.
    But for some reason Hatchet gets away with this crap ;)

Colin, sade and Zombie Dude like this.
  11. CPT HOOK

I actually loved that it gives you a little time to get to know the characters before killing them off. Not that it's masterful character development or anything, but I generally like my slashers where I care when someone dies. The first movie is the same way, the kills don't start until around the halfway mark.

2 and 3 start with Marybeth in the thick of it, and there's really nowhere for them to go. Sure, they're kill kill kill, but the second one in particular, all the male characters are so interchangable it's hard to keep track of who is who.

baggio likes this.
  12. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Ok, so I went through all 4 movies now. (re watched the first 3 and the new one all this week)

Part four wasn't as bad as some people were saying imho. I would like to point out that the other films, the majority of the killings don't happen until the second half too. So this fourth entry was no different. As far as the look of the movie, being cheap or whatever. Imo, the second film is the cheapest looking. Don't know what it is but the all round look, gore, etc.. looked to be the lowest budget.(maybe it was the blu ray, but the detail was nowhere even close to the first film.) The night scenes in part one and four looked very comparable. Only parts that looked kinda "cheap" in four was the talk show segment and some of the plane interior. Everything else was fine. I will note that I was specifically looking at these details when going through all four films. After reading the thread first, I was paying attention to this stuff more closely.

The humor was amped up in part four more than the other films. The acting was fine, I think the acting in part 2 was the best in the series. Danielle Harris & Tony Todd being the stand outs. Can only imagine if Harris did part one like she was originally inteneded to do. Kane Hodder in part four was given more to do, in terms of acting. Lot's of grunting, breathing, eye staring, etc... whatever he could do without speaking. This progressed throughout the series. Was interesting to see. Like how Hodder made Friday the 13th Part 7 very unique, he did this in Victor Crowley. Not saying you wouldn't know it was Kane in Hatchet I, you no doubt know it was Kane in Victory Crowley.

Side note. What was up with that Tiffany Shepis death? Didn't get that whole thing at all. Going on who she is, you would have thought they would have come up with something better.

In final, I guess in a perfect world I would have had the acting of part 2 mashed up with the visual look and level of humor in part 1. That would make the best film as a whole. Part three & four made the whole thing feel like not a slasher. It's more of just a crazy monster movie. Not telling anyone not to watch the whole series. But for the casual horror fan, watching the first two films back to back and then end on that isn't such a bad thing.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    Natas and fceurich39 like this.
  13. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

LOL. I completely forgot to mention that. Beside the initial shock of what took place. You can clearly see the bag "settle" on the second screen shot. Even if they did a 100 retakes, I don't know if that could have be duplicated again even if they wanted to. Probably one of funniest sight gags dealing with that subject I've seen since Hall Pass.

Natas likes this.
  14. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

I only watch each Hatchet film as it comes out. I haven't seen Part 1 since 2007, but even with the childish humour, that received the best reception from me. It felt the most like a slasher film, and the kills were all given respectful showtime.

Hatchet II was the WORST, by far. Utter trash, everyone is despicable. The characters are horrible, and the over-the-top gore for them seemed to make the film smell even worse. It looks the cheapest of the four, and is a big reason why I dislike the tone of this series.

Hatchet III is probably second best, but like II, there's too many murders and it feels like a farce. But I loved Caroline Williams. '

Hatchet IV is more stupidity, but it gets back to feeling like a slasher. The dick was a bit much, and once again, another reason I roll my eyes at these. There were surprise kills though, and they killed off the most annoying cast members, so kudos. Also great to see Shepis and Rose!

15. CPT HOOK

I love the story on the blu-ray extras that Felissa Rose cried when Adam Green told her he had written her a part in the new Hatchet movie. And him describing watching her call her husband (who is a huge horror fan) to tell him the big news. As if I needed a reason to love her more!

It's great to see her in such a fun role, and not just a disposable cameo like so many of these horror names are relegated to. I really want to see No Solicitors, which looks like fun, although Felissa is probably in one of those cameos there.

Watching it again the other night, I still say it's easily the best of the sequels. I'd even say it's on par with the original. Although those are the only two I saw theatrically, so there could be a bias there? I'm a huge slasher movie fan, and these are the two that best fit the bill. They're by far the most fun.

Natas likes this.
  16. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Come on amazon, where is my copy!!!!

17. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

So it arrived today, Yes! And I had to watch it.

And I really enjoyed it, though it was a lot of fun, loved the pre-credit sequence. I appreciate some people were not happy waiting 40 or so minutes for Victor, but for me if felt right, this is (hopefully) the start of his story, his re-birth so to speak, I liked the way they brought him back, on the whole the gore was well done apart from one or two brief bits, Victor was nice and nasty, there were a couple of good jump scenes, I thought it was nicely shot (hope they stick to the 2.35:1 ratio), looked more expensive than it probably was.....apart from and this was the only thing I did not like, the inside of the plane, it looked way to cheap, mis-matching chairs and the whole aesthetic was wrong, however It did not ruin my overall judgement and all in all it was a very enjoyable experience, I will definitely watch it again and I hope they continue the franchise as the ending sets up a sequel.

On a side note, anyone not Region A who wanted to purchase the USA blu ray good news, the disc may be advertised as Region A encoded, but it's not it's region free, so viewable for all. Yeah!

18. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White