Survival of the Dead

Discussion in 'General' started by Mok, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

The new Romero Zombie film. Scroll down to view trailer:
    http://twitchfilm.net/

What do you guys think? I hated the last film, like most folks did, but this one's look alright. I mean, it's another Canadian production (George Stroumbolopolis is in it for fuck sakes!) but it might surprise us. I'd give it a chance at least.

2. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Well, if I saw the right video, it looks more like a scene than a trailer, so I'm not sure how much I can ascertain, other than...at least there wasn't any CGI?

I will see it, of course.

(and i much preferred DiaryotD to LotD.)

3. Darga

Darga Narcissistic Personality

I need to watch DiaryotD a second time one of these days before I can give my final verdict, but I definitely wasn't impression upon my initial viewing.

Of course I'll still check out this new one when it comes out. The scene available through the link almost seems more like a teaser than an actual scene from the film.

4. Severn

Severn Member

This looks like a lot of fun which is great. I hope it's better than his most recent fair which don't have much re-watch value IMO.

I saw Dairy recently and wasn't a huge fan. I loved the beginning with the newscaster bit but got tired of the usual "we're the real monsters" soapbox he gets on and it wasn't very compelling although it was really trying to. Although it did show us the most badass Amish person I've ever seen (Harrison Ford in Witness doesn't count).

5. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

George Romero has too much time on his hands!! I'll pass!

6. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Sad thing is I'll probably buy it, but like Diary of the Dead won't have the guts to watch it. Some small hope he'll return to his greater glory again...

I even liked Bruiser, but Land of the Dead was a huge step back for him and when I heard Diary was even worse I'd all but given up hope. He's got considerable money and some level of freedom to make his "message films" but has become so ham fisted it's hard to watch now. When he recently changed his mind and said he should have written NotLD with race in the forefront, that is when I gave up on him. What made NotLD so great in my mind was how in the back of the audience's minds it was there without a single frame devoted to the issue itself.

That he has changed his position on that means he's a different style of filmmaker, one that I'm no longer interested in.

7. Copyboy

Copyboy Well-Known Member

I went into DIARY OF THE DEAD expecting to hate it based on my dislike of LAND OF THE DEAD and the whole "reality" thing that's been done to death and usually not very well. I ended up really enjoying DIARY much more than I ever expected to, so I'm really looking forward to SURVIVAL. And for that reason, I'll probably hate it.

8. HellRazor

HellRazor New Member

At least he tried something different with DIARY OF THE DEAD. I mean, how many ways is there to tell this story?

Sadly George Romero has been pigeon-holed into the role of "maker of Zombie movies" so this is about all we will let him do any more. I'm expecting the new Dead movie to be the same thing, different day, slightly different plot, yawn.

9. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

The pigeon-holed comment I agree with, but it's self imposed, IMO. All WE will let him do anymore? Come on. Romero has always been somewhat of a renegade and I hardly think anyone is forcing or convincing him to continue to to churn out garbage. You're right when you say that it will be the same boring yawnfest with a slightly different plot, but Romero has this fucked up obsession with always trying to tie his plots in with some social commentary bullshit, and his last two outings sucked SOOOO bad. He is capable of making good horror films. Just look at his past. Martin, Creepshow, Monkey Shines, etc. Romero is too talented to keep doing this. For a filmmaker/director who I used to have a great deal of respect for, I refuse to even watch anymore of his shit. Land was abominable and Diary sucked even worse.

10. KappaMoth

KappaMoth Guest

Link wasn't working, but checked out a trailer here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ifo7fNnm7EE

If Pumpkinhead: Blood Feud was any indication, adding more hillbillies to a production doesn't typically increase the quality of the film.

11. 17thJuggalo

17thJuggalo Active Member

I actually watched Diary of the Dead last night for the second time.

I actually kinda liked it the second time around. However, the female lead was a horrible actress, the CGI was way out of hand, the ending was abrupt, and the "we're the real monsters" message was way way way too forced. With those and a few gaping plot holes aside, it wasn't nearly as bad as people made it out to be.

12. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

I'll be seeing this a TIFF this weekend. I or Ash28M (assuming he will be in attendance) will be letting y'all know how it was.

Tomorrow night, Jennifer's Body. Girlie will be in attendance, should be crowded.

13. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Romero has compared this film to the 1950's western epic THE BIG COUNTRY(an old favorite of mine),and in fact the trailer does have a western vibe to it.I'll see it,as I do all Romero films,but I think he should let the DEAD rest for a while and try something else.Romero has managed to do some intriguing work outside of his DEAD films(THE CRAZIES,MARTIN,CREEPSHOW),I refuse to accept that all he can turn out for the rest of his days are sequels/spin-offs of his zombie pics.When he did DIARY he claimed that the new video technology allowed him to shoot faster and cheaper than ever.Great,now try a new,original project.Don't get me wrong,I love some of his DEAD pictures but the man is more than a one trick pony.Sure,he's been knocked around when he strayed out of the flesh eating arena but he did score with CREEPSHOW so why not try something different,especially now that he claims to be able to make these things faster and cheaper than ever.I'll happily see SURVIVAL but I wanna see something fresh from Romero again.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  14. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Actually I decided to pass on Survival of Dead. I guess I just don't have enough faith in it. The horror films I'm going to are Antichrist, Rec 2, Daybreakers and The Loved Ones.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  15. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Land of the Dead was okay, Diary of the Dead was one of the worst horror movies I've seen (Rec was a great example of how to do it right!). I too hope this one fares a little better but I just don't know... And I too would like to see Romero try something different then zombies now. He did three of the best zombie films, isn't that enough?

16. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I tend to agree with that. He's had other projects, and between Dark Half and Bruiser he says he made more money working on pre-production on The Mummy and Resident Evil than any time before that. He was comissioned to do a TV movie of Dracula. Then there was Diamond Dead which I think was moments away from shooting before something happened (don't know what, I suspect LotD became a better offer).

Seems like he's been taking the easy way out now. " 'Nother 1/2 'mill for more brain munchers? Make it cheap you say? You got it!"

17. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    Not a great clip, but I will more than likely buy it on DVD. I too hated Diary, but think I have to re-watch it at some point to see if it gets better with a 2nd viewing. I still love the man and will watch his films!

18. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

19. nsacci

nsacci New Member

Been lurking here awhile, finally registered. I actually really liked Diary, mainly because I didn't expect it to be REC given that it's an entirerly different sort of film. REC used the first-person deal as a means of suspending disbelief and ramping up suspense, whereas Diary uses it purely for the sake of its message. It may be hamfisted at times but i also think it has some genuinely interesting ideas and poetic moments. And it's nowhere near as hamfisted as Land, if for no other reason than that it doesn't have over the top performances from Dennis Hopper or John Leguizamo.

But that said, I'm not looking forward to Survival. I would have preferred a continuation of Diary. The concept never sounded that interesting (have yet to enjoy a zombie western), and the whole thing was tainted for me by the very first trailer that came up online with no color-correction or polished sound-effects. It looked like a backyard SOV production.

20. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

just earlier the dvd was announced in the UK for a march 2010 release but as far as i know there is still no distributor for the US release everywhere else has a distributor including canada WTF is going on with this title