Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

Discussion in 'Classic' started by dwatts, Apr 21, 2008.

1. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I'm not a fan of Johnny Depp, and I certainly won't support good old fahsioned horror tales turned into lame musicals, I shall be bypassing the latest travesty (sorry, for me the very IDEA is a travesty). However, I shall be grateful because it's release reminded me of an actor woefully represented in my sorry little horror collection: Tod Slaughter. This film, from 1936, is something I've been meaning to check out for a while.

I've really only read about Slaughter in books. I's read that he wasn't a very good actor, that he over-the-top and melodramatic, that his films were cheap British efforts dwarfed by the their American counterparts. I read they were basically plain old poor.

And you know what, all that is true. Slaughter is so out of tune with the times, even the times that this was made, that he'd never be mistaken for a good actor. While some actors struggled to bridge the gap between stage and film, Slaughter didn't even try. His gestures are way over-the-top, while everyone around him is acting pretty normal - yet he's the big name. :D

It's ridiculous, it's crazy, it's dated. And it's wonderful.

I couldn't help but be entertained by Slaughter going through his paces, emoting, gesturing. He's ACTIIIIIIIIIING! Just incredible to see.

In fact, he was so good - and this film so entertaining - that I hopped onto the net straight afterwards and ordered up a couple more Slaughter films. Can't wait to get them.

This release was in R2 from "Odeon" - which didn't bode well. Sure enough there are speckles here and there, and a lot of hiss on the soundtrack, but perfectly fine for viewing.

Highly recommended. Sweeny Todd rules, Tod Slaughter rocks. :D

Last edited: Apr 21, 2008
  2. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

I was hoping (Iiiiiii was hoooooping ... for you Alanis fans) that you'd be talking about the Angela Lansbury musical recording.

Now THAT version rocks! :D

3. dwatts

dwatts New Member

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

4. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

The Slaughter TODD just got an American release that is said to be quite good.Some of Slaughter's better liked pictures are MURDERS IN THE RED BARN and THE FACE AT THE WINDOW.There is a rather funny old newsreel of Slaughter done in promotion of his last film which is available on Youtube,it's charmingly over the top.

5. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

Alpha released this on DVD awhile back. Video is pretty decent, though audio is kind of weird (info on my budget review site).

However, I really liked the film. Todd Slaughter is terrific in the movie.

6. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I made a post about the Johnny Legend release which got picked up by Xploited Cinema since then.

DVD Maniacs did a review on it, but didn't compare it to any previous release so it's hard to say if it's worth paying the premium over Alpha Video.

7. scott71670

scott71670 Active Member

While the Lansbury production is the definitive I really enjoyed this last Broadway production with Patti Lupone. The accent she had was all over the place but it made it even crazier, and with the minimal staging, it looked more like Marat/Sade!!

8. MrVess

MrVess Guest

Speaking of Sweeney Todd, I found Ben Kingsley in John Schlesinger's take incomparably better than the extremely overrated Depp in the extremely overrated Burton version.

9. Yowie

Yowie Hologram

Tod is God! I think he's just as good as, say, Lugosi and his horror films are wonderfully entertaining. Never a dull moment, or a dry eye, when Slaughter is on the loose.

10. Shock Waves

Shock Waves New Member

My GF is a big Depp fan, so I knew the remake would end up in this humble abode. I suggested we watch this version as a warm up. I was surprised to hear from her that she liked it better as well.
    Tod Slaughter is so maniacal in this. It is a wonderful movie and puts the "musical" to shame in opinion.
    If there was a Tod VS. Johnny bout, I'd put my money on Tod everyday.

11. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I have invested in two further Slaughter movies. Can't wait to see them, they arrived yesterday. Woo hoo!

12. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

Gotta tell you Dwatts, you are very VERY wrong about the Burton movie. You should concider a reversal.

13. dwatts

dwatts New Member

14. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Hrm, I was going to watch the Slaughter and then Depp, but now I'm thinking about watching Depp first. Since I'd undoubtably like the Slaughter better, this gives Depp a better chance.

15. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    I have a copy of the Burton film sitting at the house and I want to see it, but it is one of those films that I'm lukewarm about. I will get around to watching it, but I'm not in a hurry!

16. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

Me too. I've had it since the DVD was released but have yet to watch it. Maybe I'll wait until Halloween. ;)

17. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

Sweeney Todd was terrific in my opinion. Great music, and style.