SWEET SIXTEEN DVD coming soon!

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by razorbackattack, Nov 18, 2005.

1. Beastus

Beastus New Member

Real nice. Considering THE UNSEEN from Code Red has number 11 on the spine, the release date must be very close.

2. dwatts

dwatts New Member

That's a "12" on the spine, so it's next up. And yeah, that's some nice artwork.

3. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

The artwork is the same as the VHS. It was always one of my favorite covers, so it's nice that they've retained it. I've been wanting this film on DVD for quite some time. Love it! Here's to hoping for a nice transfer.

4. SpaceAce

SpaceAce Member

Looks like it is coming out on October 14th...the same day as Return to Sleepaway camp (which I saw the cover art for on Amazon). CAN'T WAIT!

5. HAEMORRHAGE

HAEMORRHAGE If he dies, he dies

I love Code Red.

6. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Awesome, it shall be mine! Good to see they basically used the old VHS artwork.

7. Katatonia

Cool, mine shipped out today and I can't wait to get this baby in my hands! :evil:

8. gunner

gunner Cropsy Maniac

So Katatonia, did you watch the disc yet? How is this new cut? Mine won't arrive until friday and I'm getting antsy. No reviews or comments anywhere that I can find. Hoping for the best.

9. Katatonia

I got it in the mail yesterday gunner, and have played/tested the disc...but technically haven't fully watched it yet.

The picture quality doesn't appear to be the greatest, but there is a disclaimer on the back cover that they had to use several different source materials.

It includes the "Director's Cut" and also the "Theatrical Cut", and doesn't appear to be branched, but two seperate transfers on the disc.

The extras look enticing though, and I'm eager to fully check this one out soon.

Here's two reviews:
    http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews42/sweet_sixteen.htm
    http://10kbullets.com/reviews/s/sweet-sixteen/

10. ReelFear

ReelFear New Member

I watched SWEET SIXTEEN last night.
    I'm ashamed to admit it, but this was the first time I have ever seen this Early 80's slasher, even though I've held the VHS in my hands many times over the past 2 decades, bad reviews have kept me from checking it out.
    I'm glad I waited and saw it properly for the first time. Sweet Sixteen turns out to be an effective slasher with a great cast, and a theme song you will be humming for days afterward. A few gory kills along with a better than average story (for a slasher) make this a must see. The picture quality varies throughout, and it's obvious that the print comes from different source materials. The extras are informative and entertaining. I had a great time watching this DVD and I highly recommend it.

11. Kolpitz

Kolpitz Purely and Simply Evil

I also received and watched my Sweet Sixteen DVD yesterday (along with Beyond the Door and The Unseen ... but I haven't watched those yet). I had never seen the film but, as has been pointed out, it's an above average slasher film. The acting is pretty good, surprisingly, especially the bad-ass Bo Hopkins, who rocks his role as the town sheriff. The deaths aren't very creative but they're fairly bloody. I didn't get a chance to watch the extras but the transfer is decent, although probably Code Red's weakest transfer to date. I took a quick gander at the theatrcial cut and the quality seemed worse. However, the director's cut is definitely watchable and there are no overall spots where the transfer looked downright bad (and there are spots that look really good). For what they had to work with, Code Red has done the best they can.

12. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

I'll wait for Rhett's review.

13. gore

gore Guest

Wait a minute, one of those reviews linked above say there is a trailer of Rituals on the disc. Is this a planned release? I nice clean uncut one at least?

14. Kolpitz

Kolpitz Purely and Simply Evil

It's definitely on there so I'd have to assume it's planned. I didn't even know it was in the works until I popped in the disc.

15. Mattapooh

Mattapooh Member

RITUALS?? Oh man, this is AWESOME news. If Code Red's putting that out I'm gonna be one happy boy!

16. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Hopefully it's the uncut version.

17. gunner

gunner Cropsy Maniac

Thanks for the links & info!! This one looks like a keeper! Going by the screenshots both transfers look a lot better than the old Vestron VHS I've had for years. Can't wait to veg in front of this dvd, hurry up friday!!

18. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

19. Figuring that most of the major outlets in my area wouldn't get this in (even tho I live in a big city), I ordered it from a local Borders and they got it in over the weekend. I was pretty jazzed to see this one again (it had been about ten years since my last viewing), and it didn't disappoint. The damage on the director's cut print even adds to the nostalgic fun, somehow. Sweet 16 will never be a threat to the throne of the slasher classics, but it is a good flick, and a fun time nontheless.