Synapse aquires home video rights to Suspiria!!!!

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Nailwraps, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

zbinks = The Best!!! Thanx!

2. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

3. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

They're releasing it again? Hopefully it's leaps and bounds better than the previous one. I'll still probably wait and see what Synapse does with the film though.

4. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Thanks for all the Facebook info zbinks.

This has been my most anticipated Bluray release since Bluray took over. I can't wait! Limited, steelbook, 4K, it doesn't matter how much it cost, I will own this! I would actually prefer the expensive treatment with this since it is one of my favourite horror films and films in general, and it almost seems silly to have Demons 1 and 2 in such lavish treatment if this film doesn't receive the same.

5. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

You're all welcome. :)

6. Funktion

Funktion Member

And in related news, German label '84 Entertainment is releasing Suspiria on Blu-ray.

What's so special about that? Well, the big news is that Torsten Kaiser and TLEFilms, the guys behind the incredible, and dare I say definite, restoration of Fritz Lang's M, and the recent 4k transfer of Re-Animator, are behind the restoration for this release.

Anyone familiar with their work on any of the above referenced titles will now we are in for a treat... :banana:

7. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Hmm, yeah that could definitely give Synapse a run for their money then. :eek2: The TLE Re-Animator restoration turned out brilliantly.

8. Funktion

Funktion Member

I don't know if you are familiar with their work on Fritz Lang's M. If you aren't, I recommend you check this interview (http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=6885) and this review (http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/M-Blu-ray/18091/#Review).

They spent ages just stabilizing and looking for and re-inserting missing frames. :eek:

I own several BDs of the film, and the German BD is definitely the best. It even improves on the Criterion release for the title.

I couldn't be happier that these guys are working on a title such as Suspiria.
    But anyway, after Re-animator, it's great to see another genre title being given the treatment usually only reserved for old masterpieces of cinema.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  9. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

And that German release will probably be out sooner. Synapse was talking possibly 2015 for Suspiria. Good for them that they want to take their time with it but, as the saying goes, you snooze you lose. I have the TLE Re-Animator BD and it will be the last time I'm buying this film. Same will apply to Suspiria: first one out of the gate is my new rule.

10. gobad2003

gobad2003 Active Member

Great if you have a region free player which I don't and don't plan on getting so I'm perfectly happy waiting for the Synapse release which I know they wont dissapoint. Besides I gotta support our American indie lables or they might not be here in the future:glasses: Good for you though.

11. killit

killit Active Member

Their releases are region frei or at least reanimator was!

12. zbinks

Tidbits from Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/permalink....omment_id=87680769&offset=0&total_comments=15

https://www.facebook.com/permalink....omment_id=87680784&offset=0&total_comments=14

https://www.facebook.com/permalink....omment_id=87680818&offset=0&total_comments=15

13. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

You know, I'm not a fan of going back and "fixing" older movies with new scenes or new sound mixes, but here's something that struck me when I was watching Suspiria a few weeks ago: How would y'all feel if Udo Kier re-dubbed his original dialogue? That scene had to be dubbed in post as the wind noise made live sound recording impossible, and Kier wasn't available to do the dubbing himself. But hey, he's still alive, so why not finally do it now?

14. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

I'm not in favor of this. Eastwood and Eli Wallach had to do it for the restored version of The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly. They had no choice in that case since some of the restored footage lacked audio. But Clint's voice sounds decidedly different. I find it distracting.

After all of this time I think they should leave Suspiria as it is. But if they have access to Kier a commentary track would be most welcome.

15. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

I'm sure some purists would bitch, but I love all the fixes they did for BLADE RUNNER. One was to use Harrison Ford's son to fix the lip syncing in one scene.

As long as Hayden Christensen isn't added to SUSPIRIA I'm good with some minor tweaks.

16. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Yeah, that's my only concern too; does Udo still sound like a young guy, or has his voice gotten a bit gruff with age? Although, since he only has one scene, it's not like it would have to match with other scenes (like your Clint example)

Not really sure if he'd have a lot to say, since he only has one scene in the movie, and it's removed from the main setting, the dance academy.

17. zbinks

https://www.facebook.com/synapsefil...094600718553/1050040065023998/?type=1&theater

18. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

I love Synapse as a company but I wish they would take on a small staff to handle other projects. I knew the moment Don announced their acquisition of Suspiria (and based on his gleeful reaction when he shared the news) that everything else would sort of take a backseat. When a company is as dedicated to quality as Synapse is, you want them to tackle as much as possible, not just one or 2 big titles a year and a trickle of smaller ones once in a while. Just a minor quibble :)

19. Paul_s

Paul_s Member

I wonder how they're getting on with Phenomena. I'm certain Suspira will look gorgeous though.

20. youthief

youthief Member

I've talked with Don. After a few minutes of film chat you start to realize his obsession/attention to detail and how much efffort he puts into a release. That's right; efffort. The extra f is for fantastic. He wants every frame to be just right and agonizes over trying to get it that way. It's difficult for him to let anything go as just "the best that can be done" even in the instances where there's nothing else technology can do to improve a frame. If Jerry (the raconteur) was also that obsessive, there's no telling how many years they'd take trying to make each release perfect. Somebody should make a documentary about what they go through trying to get the product to market. They have some funny stories.