Synapse Films: Titles Coming Soon!

Discussion in 'General' started by Shawn Francis, Dec 29, 2010.

1. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

This just in, live footage of Don May Jr. after cashing out the day's Popcorn pre-orders but upon realization that DVD-fanatic-9's invoice is not amongst the faithful:
    [​IMG]

That said, even with me ordering at full MSRP my now third copy of Coffin Joe on DVD direct from Synapse for the reprint comic book, it's an easy pass on Popcorn steelbook for me.

But I'll be willing to pay twice that for Suspiria! Even in my wildest dreams I never though Synapse would get to release this. It'll look oh so nice right up next to Demons, Demons 2, Tenebre and Phenomena.

2. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

If nothing else, the documentary on Popcorn should be fascinating. Lots of behind the scenes drama, reshoots, etc. It would be interesting to see some of the original footage with Amy O'Neill as the lead before she was replaced by Jill Schoelen. If I remember correctly, Schoelen was pretty much spliced into the film after a majority of it had already been shot.

I haven't preordered yet, but I'm sure I will. Can't resist the slasher movies.

3. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

It's pretty damn likely Popcorn will get a standard release down the road for those that don't want to shell out big bucks for the steelbook (and rightfully so). The only Synapse steelbook I'm likely to get is Suspiria when that eventually gets announced.

satans-sadists and Katatonia like this.
  4. chancetx

chancetx Active Member

I look at it this way: I've never paid full retail asking price for a standard Synapse release because they're always available cheaper through amazon, deepdiscount or countless other online retailers. So if once every few years they offer a pricey limited edition that's only available through their website I don't mind supporting that release because I've saved lots of money on their other titles over the years. In my eyes it all balances out in the end.

Popcorn happens to be a personal favorite so I don't mind paying the asking price but I also agree it's a flawed movie and understand people wanting a more affordable standard release.

Workshed and DVD-fanatic-9 like this.
  5. Dave

Dave Pimp

Okay then. I apologize for taking the thread more off topic. Lets stick to the topic at hand - Synapse's release of Popcorn.

Angelman, gobad2003 and DVD-fanatic-9 like this.
  6. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

https://www.instagram.com/p/BPciImHD4y4/?taken-by=donmayjr&hl=en

RE: The Coffin Joe films, This Night I'll Possess Your Corpse and At Midnight I'll Take Your Soul

https://www.instagram.com/p/BPcsk1tjjyG/?taken-by=donmayjr&hl=en

Zombie Dude likes this.
  7. Dave

Dave Pimp

Well I guess we aren't seeing Suspiria in 2017. He does say he's super busy with it, however.

8. gobad2003

gobad2003 Active Member

I'm hoping for the Fall right before Halloween if we're lucky.:)

Zombie Dude likes this.
  9. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I wouldn't say that. November 2017 is not out of the question with only two reels to go. And that's when they released Demons/2/Phenomena. I expected they would target November anyways. Still, the stamping down of expectations could be around this time 2018, much like when Tenebrae and now Popcorn will be released. Just a little longer from my penciled in Nov '17 date.

But with so many fucked up Suspiria releases, even in HD, I can wait for the perfect release. Just don't fuck it up. That's the whole pointing having Synapse doing it. If someone can't wait they can go buy any of a dozen fucked up releases if they care so little about quality.

10. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

Finally watched my steelbooks of Tenebre and Phenomena today. Tenebre looked amazing. Easily one of the best looking Blus I own. It was cool to see the rare English inserts for the first time. For Phenomena I chose the 116 minute English/Italian hybrid version as I wanted to see the most complete version of the film. Unfortunately this transfer is not up to the usual Synapse standards as the master they were provided with is slathered in DNR that they could not fix. Luckily the extra 6 minutes (which are presented in Italian with English subtitles even if you watch the English dubbed version) seemed pretty superfluous. So in the future I'll be watching the 110 minute international version which, according to the very informative booklet, came from a much better source.

11. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Was the Phenomena Blu DNR'd or just higher grain film stock? I thought it looked pretty good. I feel like there was definitely a transition to higher grain stocks in the mid 80s...

12. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

I too was fine with how the Integral version of Phenomena looked. But I do agree I am going to stick with the shorter version version in the future. I do the same with Dawn of the Dead as well.

13. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Really? Because I'm watching the 116 cut on Amazon Prime on one computer monitor and the Anchor Bay 110 cut on another, side by side, right now to compare. (And both monitors are exactly the same size, 16x9.) And I keep pausing the 110 version because they keep falling out-of-sync. Because literally every scene seems to includes different cuts. Each one, naturally, longer in the 116 cut.

Obviously, someone could still prefer the shorter version because it's definitely tighter. Therefore, in some senses it's more tense. But I assume Argento himself leaned toward the longer cuts or this extended cut wouldn't have been assembled so many years ago. (The website Dark Dreams has a very elaborate, second-by-second breakdown of all the cuts that shorten the 110 version from the 116 and there maybe be over a hundred cuts.)

https://web.archive.org/web/20050207175108/http://www.darkdreams.org/phenomenaintegral.html

14. DVD-fanatic-9

In case you clicked on that reply before I edited it, I fixed the link. It's now a direct link to the Phenomena: Integral Cut page. I'll delete this double post footnote in a few hours.

15. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

This April...Shit happens!

From Facebook:

"SYNAPSE FILMS GETS ITS SHIT TOGETHER WHEN “THE VIOLENT SHIT COLLECTION” COMES TO DVD IN A THREE DVD/FIVE-FILM SPECIAL “SHITITION” THIS APRIL!

A legendary and notorious staple of the underground tape-trading scene of the 1990s, Andreas Schnaas’ VIOLENT SHIT trilogy were landmarks of the early shot-on-video horror boom that would go on to have a profound impact on extreme genre filmmakers the world over. Proving that you could bring new excesses to genre cinema, these films represented a new high in lowbrow entertainment whose impact can still be felt today on Synapse Films’ remastered DVD box set just ripe for rediscovery for a new generation of fans!

In 1980s Germany, horror film censorship was a huge problem. The government rarely let classic horror films pass without severe cuts when they were released on home video. To combat this unfortunate situation, many German horror fans scraped together a few bucks, rented video cameras and created their own ultra-violent, gory, splatter film epics. Arguably the most famous of these micro-budget German gorefests are the VIOLENT SHIT films from director Andreas Schnaas. Shot on standard definition video cameras, these films are a sight to behold. Although they are amateurishly made, choppily edited and loaded with ridiculous low-budget gore, these films have an undeniably offensive charm that has kept horror fans entertained for over 25 years!

Synapse Films is proud to present the original VIOLENT SHIT trilogy, along with 2010’s VIOLENT SHIT 4.0: KARL THE BUTCHER VS. AXE on DVD for the first time in North America, in versions completely remastered by the original owners. Also includes the crazy English language dub version of ZOMBIE ’90: EXTREME PESTILENCE on a Bonus DVD, along with liner notes and additional VIOLENT SHIT 4.0 Bonus Features.

VIOLENT SHIT
    The legend of “K. the Butcher Shitter” is born in this German DIY video roughie, shot on the low-fi Video-8 format. A demented killer escapes the police and leaves a trail of blood and gore in his wake. Newly re-mastered by the film’s original producer.

NOT RATED / 1989 / 73 MINS. / COLOR
    Video: Anamorphic (1.78:1) Widescreen Presentation / NTSC
    Audio: Dolby Digital German 2.0 Stereo
    Subtitles: English (Optional)

VIOLENT SHIT II: MOTHER HOLD MY HAND
    Set twenty years after the original film, Karl the Butcher Jr. continues his late father’s legacy. After receiving a machete as a birthday gift from his mother, Karl Jr. turns into a maniacal killer slashing, chopping, shooting and disemboweling his way through the German countryside. Newly re-mastered by the film’s original producer.

NOT RATED / 1992 / 74 MINS. / COLOR
    Video: Anamorphic (2.35:1) Widescreen Presentation/ NTSC

VIOLENT SHIT III: INFANTRY OF DOOM (aka ZOMBIE DOOM)
    A group of friends get lost at sea and land on a remote island, but they are not alone! Captured by Karl the Butcher Jr. and his father, these men are subjected to a sadistic version of “The Most Dangerous Game” brought on by the Butcher Shitters and their army of metal-masked killers! Newly re-mastered by the film’s original producer.

NOT RATED / 1999 / 79 MINS. / COLOR
    Video: Anamorphic (2.35:1) Widescreen Presentation / NTSC

VIOLENT SHIT 4.0: KARL THE BUTCHER VS. AXE
    The year is 2023, and the world has become a desolate wasteland with gangs taking over the streets. Karl the Butcher Jr. returns from the bowels of Hell, on a mission to kill a new mass murderer named Axe. Original English Language Version.

NOT RATED / 2010 / 78 MINS. / COLOR
    Video: Anamorphic (1.78:1) Widescreen Presentation / NTSC
    Audio: Dolby Digital English 2.0 Stereo

BONUS FEATURE: ZOMBIE ’90: EXTREME PESTILENCE
    Shot for a reported $2000 between the filming of VIOLENT SHIT 1 & 2, ZOMBIE ’90: EXTREME PESTILENCE follows two bumbling doctors as they investigate a zombie outbreak. After a military plane crash releases strange chemicals into the German countryside, the dead rise to attack the living! Can they be stopped? Transferred from an original PAL 1” master given to us by Cinematographer Steve Aquilina.

NOT RATED / 1991 / 76 MINS. / COLOR
    Video: Full-Frame (1.33:1) Presentation / NTSC
    Audio: Dolby Digital English 2.0 Stereo

SPECIAL FEATURES INCLUDE:
    - The first three VIOLENT SHIT films, remastered by the original owners, plus VIOLENT SHIT 4.0: KARL THE BUTCHER VS. AXE

- Liner notes from Ted Geoghegan (Screenwriter of NIKOS THE IMPALER, and Writer/Director of WE ARE STILL HERE)

- A Special BONUS DVD, including the English dub version of ZOMBIE ’90: EXTREME PESTILENCE, and VIOLENT SHIT 4.0: KARL THE BUTCHER VS. AXE Trailers, Behind-the-Scenes Footage, and Premiere Footage

STREET DATE: APRIL 11, 2017
    ALL-REGION/REGION FREE

Films not available separately.

Due to the SD video limitations of the original materials, this will be
    a DVD-only release."

16. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Violent Shit "Collector's Shitition" DVD artwork:

[​IMG]

Nailwraps likes this.
  17. DVD-fanatic-9

Oh, great.

Something on DVD I DON'T want... (Thanks for thinking of me, Synapse.) (Where's that fuckin' Phenomena DVD, you carpetbaggers?)

Harry Warden likes this.
  18. Nailwraps

19. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Grain of salt for sure, but even only relying on official statements it seems in line with my expectations of this November. (Missing Halloween :( )

When Dave first floated the notion of UHD I didn't think it was too possible, even with TCM available at the time, but with Dawn of the Dead's release and recent reports that UHD is selling very well... Could be a possibility. I'm sure Don May owns TCM and Zombi on UHD. And I'm sure it's rattling around his brain that he could do it with Suspiria too. But I still fall back on May's original reluctances to adopt Blu-ray and have to say he's probably going to be just as cautious about UHD.

Plus masters for UHD are still primitive. Even if we got Suspiria I don't think it would stand very long as the definitive transfer on UHD.

20. Nailwraps