Synapse Films: Titles Coming Soon!

Discussion in 'General' started by Shawn Francis, Dec 29, 2010.

1. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

Great movie. Just watched my BU bluray and it already looks really nice. Doesn't need an upgrade.

hots4 likes this.
  2. gobad2003

gobad2003 Well-Known Member

Probably pick this up eventually, Synapse always does a great job.

3. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

While I'm not interested in LD@MM (just not a fan) this does put me in a quandary about Tombs of the Blind Dead as I anticipate a nearly identical release. I don't mind paying up for Synapse by buying the steelbook instead of waiting for the inevitable standard release. But should I hold off for the likely UHD? It might be awhile... From what I understand about UHD licenses it's a flat once you have it and they've already got it so...

I don't regret getting the Suspiria steelbook and then the UHD down the road. Plus the UHD could be pre-ordered at a fair price so it's not a big deal. But that's Suspiria. Do I love Blind Dead so?

othervoice1 likes this.
  4. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I'll stick with BU release. If the transfers are night and day different then may upgrade on a standard release only.

When I saw new posts for synapse thread I was excited it might finally be news of 'The Kindred'. Ow well maybe one day?

5. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

That's the thing. We need a Kindred blu, not a slightly better LDMM.

Katatonia likes this.
  6. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

...not to mention Lemora & Massacre at Central High.

Synapse do a good job, but they are literally the slowest studio out there.

Zombie Dude and x666x like this.
  7. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Looks cool! Like others, though, I'm going to wait for reviews and the eventual standard release. I had all of the previous Synapse steelbooks and came to the conclusion that they just weren't really adding anything special for me, so I unloaded all of them (for a decent profit on a few) and bought the standard releases. Lesson learned, I'm just avoiding that whole process and waiting from now on.

8. Katatonia

If there even is a standard release of this one. It's a good film, but this is definitely not Suspiria and it's going to take them forever to move 6,000 at nearly $50 a piece. It really wouldn't surprise me if their license expired before they sell all of them, especially as the film has already had a good US Blu-ray release.

9. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Don May said Massacre at Central High is coming very soon. That it's almost done. I asked him on Instagram lol.

~Matt

chancetx, Myron Breck and gobad2003 like this.
  10. Darga

Darga Narcissistic Personality

LD@MM is definitely near the top of my list of favorite zombie films. If you like zombies and steelbooks then I'd say go for it.

The packaging looks awesome, but I'll be passing on this. I already have the old Anchor Bay DVD collectable tin, a soundtrack CD (with Horror Express as well), and the BU blu ray (which I just watched recently and looks great to me). I think I'm all set.

11. gobad2003

gobad2003 Well-Known Member

I hope you're right, I think it's been years since this was first announced. Now bring on The Kindred too and we're all set :D

12. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

This, times a thousand.

loutoad23 likes this.
  13. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Yeah Don can have my money for Massacre at Central High. So far all we've had is the crappiest VHS ever. The Blu should be a revelation.

Myron Breck, loutoad23 and Matt89 like this.
  14. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

My friend snagged me a DVD from when TCM aired it years ago, but it's slightly sped up (just enough to drive me slightly insane). I will buy this on blu without hesitation.

15. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Apparently Jesse at Diabolik has seen the artwork for Kindred, or reported on Facebook to have, so that's something.
    It's post-NOTLD but pre-DOTD so it's a little more of a traditional horror with spooky atmosphere but still has a modern approach with a little European flavoring even though it's British. I really dislike the lead characters so personally it never really worked for me. And I enjoy British/Spanish horror from the time period; just not this one.

But I'm in the minority. It's otherwise held highly and fairly well known so I anticipate it will do better than Demons 2/Popcorn. I'd expect the steelbook to sell out but not immediately. And I would anticipate a standard Blu-ray release within a year's time after its release date.

x666x and othervoice1 like this.
  16. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

I think it is top 5 in zombie films, personally.

17. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

And The Deadly Spawn.

As for TLD@MM, I've seen it ages ago (at least 10 years) and can't say it left a lasting impression on me. I think I may have found it a little slow at the time. I'd be curious to revisit it with a new, cleaner transfer but at this stage it's an easy pass right now.

I will add that I'm surprised they still waste their time sticking a dvd in with the bluray. If they want to still do dvd's fine, but release it separately. I don't want to pay for a dvd copy I'll never use. Plus with 4K starting to pickup I'm surprised they'd bother with dvd's at all. According to Synapse on FB they still sell well though.

Katatonia likes this.
  18. Katatonia

Oh yeah, I forgot about The Deadly Spawn. So it's at least three highly anticipated releases that are taking literally years to come to fruition.

DVD's don't seem to be dying off anytime soon. I believe they still sell about as well as Blu-rays do, and 4K still barely makes a dent between the three formats. The entire physical market has steadily declined over the past 5 or so years though.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  19. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

They sell because they're cheap and haven't been phased out. To me, new movies shouldn't come out on dvd, just bluray and 4K now, plus there's streaming as well. I think dvd has a place for some things but I'm surprised with how cheap blurays have gotten that anyone bothers with dvd for new films.
    Each to their own I guess. I still hate combo packs that include a dvd version of the film with the bluray though.

gobad2003 and Katatonia like this.
  20. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

Deadly Spawn still sells for high prices on Ebay even though it was considered a terrible transfer. I picked up the German release for about a third the price but would love to see a new scan done for a new release.

Combo packs don't bother me. They don't help me specifically as I don't watch the DVD copy but I don't think they increase the price by more than a few cents. My brother only saves the blu-ray discs themselves. He gives any DVD copies away and tosses the jackets and cases. Saves him a heck of a lot of space but kind of freaks me out. As you say to each their own.