Synapse Films: Titles Coming Soon!

Discussion in 'General' started by Shawn Francis, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

I’m still pretty shocked that DVDs sell so well, but at the same time, the average person isn’t as invested in film restoration the way collectors like us are. My mom wouldn’t be able to tell the difference (or wouldn’t really care) between DVD and blu-ray.

~Matt

Zombie Dude and othervoice1 like this.
  2. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

You could very well be right. If that’s the case, then I’ll settle with my BU blu-ray which still looks pretty dang good.

3. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I never thought I would say this, but I feel like that’s where I’m at now with regards to blu-ray and 4k. I can’t see much of a justifiable difference for me to upgrade. Not saying the improvements aren’t there, but I’m just not at a point to invest in a set good and big enough to see the differences. Maybe if I ever move back to the burbs in the future and have the space for a new TV set and another format perhaps, but right now, I’m calling it quits at blu-ray. I’m glad other film fans are seeing the benefits and enjoying the new format, though.

4. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

That makes sense though. 4k works a lot better for those with lagers screens. I definitely get a more cinematic feel from a lot of the 4k movies I've watched at home. Dolby Atmos is a big factor in that too.
    It's definitely less worth it if I had a TV under 65'. Plus I'm not sure if my eyes are just playing tricks on me but motion seems better on 4k discs too.

5. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

Is Dolby Amos that good? I am curious myself.

6. Zombie Dude

Absolutely. I have a Samsung soundbar that's built for Atmos and those tracks usually make me feel like I'm in the cinema again. Plus I find the clarity greater. Suspiria for example is on another level with it's Atmos track. It feels so alive. You should definitely check it out.

7. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

I don't have Atmos myself, just regular 5.1, but I have experienced Atmos over at a friends house, and damn does it make a difference.
    We watched the new UHD disc of Spielbergs "War of the Worlds" (which looks amazing btw, thanks to being native 4K, and lacking any of that ugly blown out contrast of the DVD and BD), and holy shit did it feel like the world was falling apart above our heads :D
    It's not only the huge moments, but even small things like rain, thunder and wind makes the room feel much bigger.
    And yes, we had to test that Atmos track on Suspiria, and holy shit, it's crazy :D

8. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

Ok, one more question on Atmos. Is there an improvement on older titles that don't have an Atmos track? Like some sort of up conversion? Thanks

9. Zombie Dude

No, you need the track to get the benefit. Other tracks still sound good but not as good as Atmos.

x666x likes this.
  10. Steel76

People asked on FB, why there was no UHD release of LDIMM, and here is the answer:

"They’re expensive and timely to produce and don’t sell as much as Blu-rays."

Same lazy excuse as Blue-Underground used, both before they started doing Blu-Ray, and then UHD.
    Cult movies are starting to sell very well on UHD, Maniac and Zombie did really great, and there is a massive interest in the UHD of Dawn of the Dead etc.
    Sure, those are bigger titles, but come on. At least make a limited edition of 1000 copies, or a kickstarter, to fund the UHD.
    Or how about saving money of NOT making those over priced Steelbooks?

I wish he joined forces with Severin, Arrow or Blue-Undergound, releasing his titles through them instead.
    Maybe then we wouldn't have to wait YEARS for him to finish these transfers, if he got more people to help out.

I'll skip this release. With a 4K transfer available, either another US label, or European label, will probably release a UHD in the future.

And it wouldn't surprise me, if Synapse (if he still got the license) releases a UHD a year from now.
    Remember when he told us that those limited steelbook releases, like Demons, wouldn't get a standard edition, and then it still happened.

Fuck it.

f.ramses likes this.
  11. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

If UHD doesn’t sell as well as BD then they can force it to sell just as well as BD by doing combo packs that include the movie on BD and UHD. If that’s the only option then the people who want BD are going to buy it just like the people who want UHD are going to buy it + the people who just want the BD already have an upgrade on hand for when they inevitably go UHD. I’d be a lot more willing to pay a higher price for a BD/UHD combo pack than I would for a BD in a silly metal case.

Kim Bruun, Zombie Dude and Steel76 like this.
  12. Steel76

Exactly, the BD/UHD combo works for the other labels. A UHD disc was much more expensive to make in the beginning, just as dvd and BD was in the early years, but today it’s cheaper.
    But I bet he just want us to double dip once again, when the UHD is released...

f.ramses and x666x like this.
  13. gobad2003

gobad2003 Well-Known Member

Anybody but Severin, Their encodes are usually shit. At least with Synapse their transfers are usually top notch even if you have to wait a century to get them ;)

Zombie Dude, russweiss and Katatonia like this.
  14. Zombie Dude

To me this also makes way more sense than to put a dvd in there. Most of these people who are still keeping the dvd market alive are probably watching them on bluray players anyway.

Colin, Kim Bruun and f.ramses like this.
  15. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I received The Living Dead at Manchester Morgue Steelbook from Synapse/CVS yesterday in the mail. I was shocked to get it quite so soon, but a nice surprise nonetheless. It is surprisingly heavy in weight.

Some pics of the packaging/discs can be found here: https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=17878585&postcount=34

I only have had a chance to browse briefly through the transfer thus far, but it looks quite solid. The grain doesn't look nearly as chunky as I remember on the old Blue Underground release.

16. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

@Katatonia, show us your movie collection......you get everything! :)

17. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

On his Instagram, Don May had this to say about Chorakhe aka Crocodile or Giant Crocodile, which Synapse announced a release for some time ago:

...and that's pity. I hope Don hasn't given up on it completely. Anyone who enjoyed Killer Crocodile and its sequel should get a kick out of Chorakhe as well. Just watch this German trailer, which features an awesome scene of the crocodile completely demolishing a small village:

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
    hots4 likes this.
  18. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Did anyone else notice that the Amazon listing for The Living Dead at Manchester Morgue Steelbook is $99.99 at Amazon? I mean WTF? That has to be an error... it's a nice set, but a $100 SRP? Come on.

LOL, maybe when I get the chance. Only my important movies are on my main shelves these days though... all the other crap is haphazard. :p

gobad2003 likes this.
  19. gobad2003

gobad2003 Well-Known Member

I'm in the same boat as you Kat, My main shelves are overloaded and more movies keep coming in almost daily. I'm going to organize it nice someday and post pics, That's the plan anyway :eek:

Katatonia likes this.
  20. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

I believe this is the first Synapse steelbook to be on sale anywhere other than their website. So maybe they list it higher elsewhere so their site is still the best deal? I'm curious about how certain a regular release will be with this change. Maybe it's for sale in more places because this is as wide a release as it'll get.