Synapse Films to prepare 2K restoration for Curtains

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by zbinks, Jul 17, 2013.

1. Chomp

Chomp Rudest Motherfucker on HD

Curtains isn't really that bad of a film...some of the cast/crew were pretty rough on it in the Special Features...especially Zaza, but I thought it had potential. It certainly wasn't embarrassingly bad or anything.

Ciupka's anger is warranted though...totally rad he was down for doing the extras.

2. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

The ice skating scene is probably the standout point in the film, however, for me the doll in the middle of the road scene was down right spooky, an image I'll probably not forget.

I gotta give a shout out to my wife (who never remembers movies we saw or actors that star in them - especially genre films) while we were watching Curtains. Right when Michael Wincott walked into the dinner scene - who I didn't know was in this - my wife goes "Hey! It's that guy from The Crow!"

I was so proud :)

3. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

The music cues (the strings) are exactly the same ones used in Prom Night. When the killer is backstage at the prom and it cuts to the axe, the music cue is exactly the same one used throughout Curtains.

~Matt

4. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

Prom Night, Curtains and Ghost Keeper all swap music at times.

My Bloody Valentine and Prom Night IV as well to some extent.

5. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I know - I LOVE that cue. If Intrada or some other outfit ever made a soundtrack CD (yes, a physical copy) I'd be so-down-with.

6. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I'm still waiting for my order to arrive but I haven't seen this film in at least ten years so I'm not sure what to expect really.

7. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I just wrote a really lengthy response, gushing about how incredible this release is, clicked submit, and it disappeared. So now I'm pissed. :mad:

Anyway, a few bullet points from that lengthy ramble:

-Given the $46 price tag on Demons, I'm shocked this was only $13. An absolute steal.

-Just like Without Warning, everyone was clamoring for this for years, and now that it's here... "meh, it's not that great". I disagree, at least regarding Curtains. Seeing this presentation made me love it now more than ever.

-I think the production issues are rather seamless all things considered, and the movie is surprisingly competent for an '80s slasher. Only thing that feels like filler is the lengthy boyfriend rape fantasy.

-Oh my melodrama! The acting here is so fantastic, especially the intense mask scene with John Vernon and Samantha Eggar, and also Lynne Griffin's dramatic moment on the staircase. Also love the asylum scenes at the beginning, the old woman tickling Samantha Eggar is kind of nightmarish. Love how naturally these scenes unfold, where in most slasher movies this backstory would be a footnote.

-LOVE the curtains swipes, very charming. Also, never noticed the film was credited to Jonathan Stryker until it was mentioned on the featurette. Cute cover-up.

-Everyone loves the ice skating scene and the doll scene, but what about Sandee Currie's incredible chase scene? Her hiding in the vent is by far the most intense scene in the movie. Definitely makes up for her lack of a chase scene in Terror Train. Although I guess it does clue you into the film's production issues, considering she enters this tiny little garage and the inside is this cavernous theater backstage.

-Even though we don't have the alternate footage, it's interesting to know exactly what was added now. It'd be nice to see the deleted scenes, but I feel like I have a pretty good sense of how it changed (bascially the asylum scenes and Sandee Currie's chase were added). I kind of got the impression that the doll scene wasn't a nightmare in the original cut, it was more like the opening kill while she was on her way to the audition.

-Seriously chomping at the bit for Prom Night now! Alongside Night Of The Demons, this is easily one of the best cult releases of the year! Thank you, Synapse! We love you (or at least, I do)!

8. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

9. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

10. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Curtains Blu-ray is currently $14.39 at Amazon.

11. Zillamon51

Zillamon51 Member

I blind-bought this movie several years ago, when everyone on this board was super-stoked about it being included in a cheapo set from Echo Bridge. The quality was crap (as expected), but the film didn't impress either. I fell asleep the first time I tried to watch it, and didn't bother revisiting it until months later. It's interesting as an adult slasher film (you don't see many of those), but I was thoroughly unimpressed. Still, it's very cool that it's gotten such a good release!

12. Franco

Franco Weekender

At the end of the credits, it says "Curtains Productions, Inc."

They built A COMPANY only for a single movie???

13. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

Goddamn, does it suck when that happens.

14. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

That happens a lot actually. It's generally a small group of investors that form a group (sometimes for tax purposes) to produce a single production. Afterwards (especially if the film fails or is only a modest success) they dissolve the company and go their separate ways. It's only a "company" on paper, they may rent some offices but they don't build their own mini studio. It's just a business arrangement.

15. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

It also means any legal liabilities making the movie begins and ends with that company. Whether that means debts from the bank or to the crew, insurance, property damage while on location, injuries, PETA doesn't like you did to an animal, etc, etc.

And as Erick says it's great for tax reasons. You can bankrupt the company and claim the movie failed to profit this way, avoiding paying taxes on gains while lending money from the "Curtains" production to the true production company which will be off shore (and paying lower gains taxes there). This is how they infamously avoid paying some of the above the line personal too. It's called Corporate Inversion. This way they can claim US tax credits (federal/state/local) while paying a lower international rate on the gains. There was another push for ending it at the beginning of August, with little media coverage (surprise, surprise).

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  16. Franco

Franco Weekender

Thanks for the info! But that's mostly used in low budget movies? I've seen now many end credits of old horror/sci-fi movies that feature an "Inc." of these.

What about the huge productions of Hollywood today? They don't use this "companies"?

17. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Large companies like Warner/MGM/Disney/Paramount/etc absolutely do. That's why you see a bunch of production company names at the beginning and ends of Hollywood blockbusters. They also do the normal tax dodges.

New Line/Warner most recently did this to Peter Jackson with The Lord of the Rings: http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/27/business/media/27movie.html

18. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Finally got my copy this week. Picture looked great I thought the movie was better then i remembered it. Way better then your average 80's slasher.

19. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Just watched the blu tonight and thought it looked great. I was worried when reading here that people weren't impressed by the film but thankfully I very much enjoyed it. Apart from the lacking ending I thought the film was rather good and holds up well for a film with such bad production history. The characters really help keep this one alive and interesting. Glad to have this one.

20. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

I believe they announced that they have a new distributor, so now not only it is easier to get ahold of their releases, especially for us Canucks, but their releases are cheaper, which is great news! Mind you, this won't affect their limited editions and there's still a chance the upcoming Argento flicks will be more money just because apparently they were apparently expensive to license.