Synapse Films to prepare 2K restoration for Curtains

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by zbinks, Jul 17, 2013.

1. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I doubt anyone here buys DVDs anymore when there's a blu-ray available, but just in case, looks like DeepDiscount has the Synapse DVD of Curtains for $3.99!

2. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

Can someone please explain the point of this hoedown during the movie? All it did was make me go wtf then laugh my ass off.

[​IMG]

3. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Decided to re-watch Curtains today and sadly I found it didn't quite hold up to how I remembered it. I know they had production issues but man is the film all over the place. The films definitely has a good atmosphere from time to time, such as snowy scenes which look great. Other parts take on a supernatural tone which makes no sense as the movie isn't about anything supernatural. These scenes include the creepy doll that somehow appears in the middle of the road (creepy and great looking scene but doesn't make any sense), the other that stood out is the head in the toilet which shows someone watching one of the women behind a shower curtain who then somehow disappears when the curtain is pulled back; and then it happens again with said head in the toilet that goes missing after an incredibly short amount of time.
    With the ending I'm not sure if they were trying to say it was all in that characters head; if that's where she ended up after the events that just took place or if that's how she met Samantha. It's all a bit vague and abrupt.
    Not sure I feel the need to revisit this one again and will probably part with my disc.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
    DVD-fanatic-9 likes this.
  4. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

On the whole, my first reaction was Ehhhhh.

But I think Synapse's restoration enhances some of the style and makes the hysterical qualities a little more attractive. The death scenes especially were pretty impressive and the finale is so unusual.

I will be re-watching again this summer. I'm interested to see whether my estimation stays steady or drops.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  5. Zombie Dude

There really isn't much on offer in the death scenes to be honest. Most happen real quick with the killer popping up behind a girl and slashing their throat which they don't show you. I was underwhelmed. The ice skating chase was cool though and definitely a highlight in an otherwise pretty dull film.

6. DVD-fanatic-9

I agree they definitely cut the bloodletting short. But... the setting and the editing and the rest of the effects (sound, space- that kind of thing) I thought really stood out and were sharp. Very suspenseful and eye-catching / eye-opening.

I would think it was dull if I didn't dig the main idea but I think that mainly works. It's not campy but it has a weird almost-elegance about it. Lowkey, lo-fi. There were some scenes where the movie really worked for me.

I'll get a better grip on it when I rewatch it.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  7. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

I liked Curtains quite a bit during my 2nd viewing. Didn't care for it the first time but found it to be an entertaining and atmospheric when I bought the blu. Helps I could see things a helluva lot better than the shitty Echo Bridge dvd.

8. Zombie Dude

There's definitely some positives in there for sure but as a whole I sadly didn't enjoy it. Do share your thoughts when you re-watch it though.

9. DVD-fanatic-9

Will do.

I didn't know Echo Bridge took a shot at it, I know they released Alliance Atlantis's print of Prom Night and it was on the murky side.

And Echo Bridge sucks at all their other releases. (I greatly prefer Mill Creek.) (They're really not that bad- not that good but better than nothing.)

But, yeah, it really was Synapse's DVD that made Curtains razor-sharp.

Zombie Dude and fceurich39 like this.
  10. Zombie Dude

Ironically I liked it enough watching a dated print I found online before it was easier to come by, then I rather enjoyed the Synapse blu when I got it as it looked great, but on this third viewing I just couldn't find enough to care about and the disjointed plot points and plot holes became very apparent. I mean why did Jonathan Stryker leave his leading lady in the mental institution? Why was he treating her like shit when she returned after the dedication she'd put into immersing herself in the character for the role? What did the creepy doll have to do with anything? And then there's the questions I put forth earlier about the ending and how that was supposed to play into it. Visually there's a lot to like but the story seems really messy and had me disappointed overall.
    You should get onto blu, it looks even better :)

11. DVD-fanatic-9

But then I'll be stuck with Kino's painful pale Bay of Blood and Shout! Factory's awful minty The Howling and the only audio for Halloween II will sound like distorted, warbling airplanes landing and the only Friday the 13th I'll be able to watch will be missing over 10-20% of the original picture. And I'm not sure I believe all (every single one) of the original A Nightmare on Elm Street music queues have been replaced until I hear it myself. And I'll be able to see every single bad gore effect too clearly and the magic of the whole movie will be ruined and I'll never want to watch it again / the feeling will be drained, I'll stop loving the movie. (Until I go back to DVD.)

12. Zombie Dude

Though some releases do have issues like you mention, the general concences is that the clearer image that bluray can give is closer to what would have been seen in theatres. Though you're getting the same thing (only slightly better) when you buy something like Curtains on blu because the restoration is the same, it just has more room to breathe on the bluray disc.

13. DVD-fanatic-9

I've heard other people talk about the fact that Blu also makes phony-looking FX too obvious on Blu. People who are not anti-Blu, like I am. Faithful buyers of the format. That's only served to make me a stronger champion of the DVD format.

14. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

You can still play your old DVD:s. Nothing forces you to rebuy them on blu-ray.
    Keep the versions that you feel are better on DVD, but also have the glory to enjoy the new HD transfers that are done correctly :)

Those gore FX looked even more clearly in the cinema than on the Blu-Ray, since 35mm are much sharper and have more resolution than a 1080 blu-ray ;)

Zombie Dude likes this.
  15. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Sure, but people said the same thing, when going from VHS to DVD, back in the day ;)
    Great FX, like the practical FX in The Thing, Alien, Star Wars, or the superb gore FX of Tom Savini etc, look waaaay better on blu-ray, since you can see all the fine details in the effects, that basically hasn't been seen since the cinema release.

Also, the fantastic set designs in the movies, are much more clearly defined, in the fine details, since it's not hidden in the softer resolution, compared to DVD.
    I've noticed stuff in the backgrounds of the sets of Star Wars and Aliens etc., that I had never seen before :)

There are way more ups, than downs, upgrading to blu-ray :)

Give it a try, and if you for some reason don't like it, you can still continue to enjoy DVD:s in the player.
    Best of both world :)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
    Zombie Dude likes this.