Synapse Films to prepare restoration for Prom Night (1980)

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by zbinks, Jul 18, 2013.

1. burieddeep

burieddeep Dr. Obrero

Very nice A/V quality...really enjoyed the making of feature too.

2. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

This is waiting for me at the post office with Graduation Day. Can't wait to go pick it up.

~Matt

3. Jack_Burton

Jack_Burton New Member

Watched it and the picture quality is amazing. I have never seen this movie look so good. Looking forward to diving into the extras next.

4. Christy

Christy Member

You have to pay bs tax when you pick up your goods right? :eek2:

5. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Not always. Depends whether or not my package was randomly selected for duty charges. But diabolik labeled their package as a "gift" so I didn't get charged.

That being said....OMG THIS RESTORATION IS GLORIOUS. The screencaps almost don't do it justice. In motion this film looks beautiful.

Also was Graduation Day supposed to have reversible artwork? Mine isn't reversible.

~Matt

6. Christy

Christy Member

88 films will have a reversible cover this one doesn't have one just checked mine. I love diabolik but last item I ordered a mediabook they shipped it in a bubble mailer. Lucky for me there was no damage or cracked mediabook case.

7. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Checked out mine tonight. Terrific transfer. I love the film, it's easily in my top 5 80's slashers.

8. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

cant believe still got that head from 1979 all these years later.. amazing.. 1980 was the be heading movie year. to name a few. prom night, the exterminator, mothers day.. Friday the 13th.. he knows your alone. and if iam leaving any out..

9. ronnie21

oh forgot, humanoids from the deep, the part where the humanoid's rips off guys head..

10. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

i watched this last weekend, and the transfer is as nice as everyone keeps saying. It's a great movie, too - I've seen it two or three times before now, but for some reason I'd forgotten (or never fully realized) just how good it was until now. Which makes it even more surprising that it took it this long to get a decent release.

I listened to the commentary today, and it really annoyed me, though. The moderator, director, and writer all make a huge mistake in their appraisal of the movie. For some reason they confuse the young Eddie Benton character with the young Jamie Lee character. And they comment repeatedly throughout the film in reference to this - how Jamie Lee is ultimately responsible for all the deaths since she was the one who convinced all her friends to keep quiet about them killing her sister...which makes no sense at all, and clearly isn't what actually happens in the movie. Maybe expecting every commentator to be an expert on the film is asking a bit much, but I don't think it's unreasonable to expect the moderator, director, and writer of the film to at least have a working understanding of the plot!

11. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

Hahaha, no way!? I have to listen to this.

12. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

I did think Paul Lynch made several hyperbolic statements, saying a lot of the actors in the film were "brilliant character actors" when really, their performances in the film were nothing special. Also said Prom Night had one of the greatest posters in film history? Come on...

~Matt

13. ronnie21

matt, I didn't really care for the commentary on Prom Night, I liked humongous's better..
    yeah he went a little too far with those statements. Most people never even heard of anyone else in the film except for Jamie lee and butt naked gun dude.

14. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

it's not a complete waste. but their constant mocking of the escaped killer subplot wore real thin, too.

15. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Wow, that's amazing about the commentary. I can't believe they didn't know what they were talking about when they were the ones that made the film :eek: That's funny and sad all at the same time.

16. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I don't know what anybody else paid for Prom Night, but Deep Discount has it for sale at about $13.50 at the moment. Considering it has been in my Amazon wish list ranging from $20-23 for a while now I leapt at it. Seems like a bargain price for a Synapse title, and on blu to boot.

17. burieddeep

burieddeep Dr. Obrero

I got it from Blowitoutahere for $12.36 when it was released.