Synapse Films to prepare restoration for Prom Night (1980)

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by zbinks, Jul 18, 2013.

1. deepred

deepred Member

They will sell better because they are popular. It wouldn't make sense to do expensive limited edition tins for unpopular titles to raise money. I know a lot of people did not bite but a lot of people did.

2. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

The fact that they haven't sold out yet after being available for a few months say to me that it was a pretty average move. If they went to Amazon I may have bitten but I still don't understand why the release is limited to their site.

3. deepred

deepred Member

I just hope it was a one time thing. I did it for Demons 1 but I can't really afford to do it again.

4. Zombie Dude

I think we're all hoping that. If there has in fact been a lack of interest I assume they won't go down that road again.

5. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

oh, right. i'd forgotten about those. yeah, i really hope they don't make a habit out of it.

6. chancetx

chancetx Active Member

Very excited for this and "Curtains." "Prom Night" was one of the first movies I taped when we got our first VCR. I suppose nostalgia colors my love for the movie - it is slow and the disco dance scenes go on seemingly forever. But that opening with the kids is still horrifying and I enjoy the buildup to the final confrontation. I remember as a kid thinking Eddie Benton was really sexy - much prettier than Jamie Lee Curtis. Though the entire cast looks WAY too old to be playing high schoolers.

7. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

I enjoy this one.It's always been a "soft" looking film,hope they don't overcorrect the films natural look.Still,love to see a defnitive release.

8. Stige

Stige Active Member

well this will be mine even if they do a limited platinum cover for twice the price of demons! Good news all around for these two releases

9. Mattapooh

Mattapooh Member

I really didn't care for Curtains aside from the skating scene, but I would buy the shit out of a Prom Night Blu.

10. rhett

rhett Administrator

Awesome news, one of my personal favorites, and a film that's in dire need of a remaster. Hopefully this comes with some Red Shirt extras or something along those lines. Unreal to think that there are no extras for this film despite it being released a handful of times by different companies. Then again, look at Happy Birthday to Me and When A Stranger Calls...no extras for either of them also. Love seeing that frame from the film, the colors sure pop there and the soft focus filter gives the film a heavenly haze that it's never really had on video before.

"Hey, I'm slick." "So I noticed..."

-- Hopefully that's what we're all saying when we see this transfer!!!

11. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

I haven't seen Curtains but have wanted to and have heard very good things. Glad to see that my first viewing will be an excellent looking Blu, and not a crappy VHS transfer.

As for Prom Night, I never really liked it. But for our first episode of our podcast, my friend and I decided to give it another shot, along with the rest of the series for the first time. And I have to say, I loved it this time around. No, the gore and kills are nothing to talk about but the story, characters, ect. all make it something special! And of course that dance scene! Actually, other then the remake, I found a lot to like in all of the films in the series. Either way, I am pumped for this release and hopefully part 2 will follow soon after!

12. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

From Facebook:

13. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

Now, if they can only include the soundtrack...

14. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

I officially LOVE Synapse Films :D

15. Fistfuck

Fistfuck Slowest to 2000 posts

I feel stupid for not knowing this, but when a film is scanned from the camera negative for a restoration, how do they get titles, credits, and other post-production elements into the final product without redoing them?

16. Zombie Dude

Curious about that too. Also how do they know how each scene is meant to be framed?

17. Jeremy

Jeremy Closet SCREAM fan

I think "original camera negative" can be a little bit of a misnomer, depending on the film, because in some movies there will be quite a few parts where the negative will be made up of bits of film that are not necessarily straight out of the camera. I'm talking especially about special effects films. If you were to look at the negative of something like STAR WARS (what's left of it) where there are a ton of special effects shots created through optical processes, and it would be the master copy of those effects shots that gets spliced into the negative.

With credits I'm not entirely sure how the industry standard has developed so I don't want to speculate on it, but one of the big issues that you have with getting post-production elements into a transfer is the color. Because when a film comes out of the camera it can look very different than it ends up looking once it gets to theaters, lighting will be inconsistent, some shots will be too dark, some too bright, some too yellow or too red or too undersaturated. Oftentimes the look of a particular movie will be created in post through the process of color timing. But color timing cannot be applied to the negative itself, it is applied when intermediate elements are created, so if you scan a film's negative you can run into problems trying to recreate the original look. And a lot of controversies in recent years - I'm thinking especially of Twilight Time's NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD (1990) - have been caused by people who either didn't know what the original look of a title should be or who didn't care to recreate it.

18. startide

startide Member

My god that grain is heavy! Jeesus. Just WTF do you do to that without stripping it all away (assuming that is even possible!)?

I have a response to my FB post from Synapse in my inbox. I can't quite bring myself to open it though. The thing is, to offer up my collection is one thing. It's quite another to find it though!!! (I just moved a few weeks ago and it wasn't organised to start with... And now is the time to tell you that I am a serious hoarder. Not quite TV worthy - I'm not a level 5, waist level filth and dead animals "hoarder", more a level 2 "stuff" hoarder.)

Impetus much?

19. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

Smallish update from Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/permalink....omment_id=87653752&offset=0&total_comments=17

I have a feeling the same is more or less true of Curtains.

20. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

Look, Synapse likes to take their time with their stuff, which is cool. Personally, I would rather them not announce street dates (or even an approximate time frame) because, well, they're never on target. Nothing annoys me more than missed street dates, especially prolonged ones. Curtains/Prom Night is coming sometime in 2014. There, isn't that better? :)