Synapse Films to prepare restoration for Prom Night (1980)

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by zbinks, Jul 18, 2013.

1. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I know!!!! I remember the Anchor Bay DVD cover AND Elite laserdisc cover. I sold the DVD to SecondSpin.com for a few dollaz. I really like that cover, too.

2. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

If you don't quote then no one knows what you're talking about... Are you referring to the post above yours or the new Synapse cover?

3. 7_RaggedTiger

7_RaggedTiger Member

Or a stupid retarded quote on the cover from some know it all dippy.

4. Paul_s

Paul_s Member

5. bruce h

bruce h Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

Grab your best date and dust off your dancin' shoes -- Synapse Films are giving Paul Lynch's PROM NIGHT (1980) the HD treatment! The title event is coming up, and some disco-bumpin' Hamilton High Seniors find themselves reminded of a years-ago tragedy they all secretly took part in. Little Robin fell to her death after being teased by these bratty kids, and when they start receiving anonymous phone taunts, what are they to do? That's right -- get primped up for the night of their lives! It was supposed to be an evening of dancin', drinkin' and sexin', but it isn't long before they find they have a new date -- one who wears a black ski-mask and carries an ax. Yes, heads roll. Right on the disco floor.

Inspired by the success of HALLOWEEN (1978) down to swiping its star Jamie Lee Curtis, PROM NIGHT is an early Canadian emulation that trots out the now-familiar tropes back before they became cliche. Bonus points for Leslie Nielson in a serious role, though he doesn't tear off his shirt and fight a bear in this one. Saddled with a pretty crummy home video history, Synapse are doing the film up right with a 2K restoration from the original camera negative, and a slew of new supplements, including a commentary with director Lynch and writer William Gray, a new 35-minute making-of documentary titled THE HORRORS OF HAMILTON HIGH, additional television scenes and never-before-seen outtakes, stills, trailers, and more. As I said before, isn't this a great time to be a slasher fan? "If you're not back by midnight... you won't be coming home!"

Blu-Ray Preorder (9/9/14) : now live. Direct links at my sites.

Original Trailer!
    http://youtu.be/c6Gmt7GcJhY

"Like" the Cinema Arcana Facebook page to keep up with the latest news, deals, release announcements and more!
    https://www.facebook.com/cinemaarcana

[​IMG]

6. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

By summer of 1980 disco had just died out. although Prom Night was lensed in fall of 79..

7. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    Very true - by 1981's Spring premiere on ABC (before HBO! now, how did THAT happen???) I remember all the kids at school harpin' on the disco-ness. I was still amorous to the era so it didn't bother this then-6th grader. ;)
    I was lucky to see PROM NIGHT on the big screen some months later in July when it was paired up with a first-run FINAL EXAM - I remember the theater being very, very loud during all the disco sequences. ;) I also recall there being a handful of people for Final Exam but when Prom Night came on, the theater was PACKED. My brother and his friend (who got us in since they were in high school) spent Final Exam playing video games in the lobby but they rushed back in before Prom Night because there was a huge line outside the door. *sigh* good times...

Last edited: Jul 4, 2014
  8. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

Finally!! Can't wait for this!! Pre-ordered it already. I'm getting old and forgetful so I pre-order things so I don't forget to later on. :)

9. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Awesome.

~Matt

10. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

That's a fanmade cover that's been floating around since Synapse originally announced their Prom Night acquisition. Like Curtains, the DVD and Blu-Ray are being sold separately, not as a combo pack.

Edit:

Found the original posting:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...783599&set=p.10151718816783599&type=1&theater

Last edited: Jul 6, 2014
  11. Jack_Burton

Jack_Burton New Member

Holy crap I cannot wait!

12. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

wago70, awesome story there.. Yeah. don't think final exam really packed em in by that point. Nice to see prom night still having a huge fanfare/ Your lucky to have seen those on big screen. I was only 9.

13. startide

startide Member

HATE the Photoshopped cover. They've tinkered with it just a little too much.

No one ever contacted me about my collection so I don't know what's on the special features, and I doubt it will be as comprehensive, but never mind. Their loss!

As much as Prom Night is my favourite horror film, I've seen bits of it so much it's hard to get excited, which is unfortunate. That said, I am certainly looking forward to seeing what Synapse have come up with.

And yeah, this is my first visit in almost a year. You last visited: 08-07-2013 at 03:11 PM :eek:

14. Zombie Dude

It wouldn't surprise me that if you contacted Synapse that they might delay the release to add whatever goodies you've got. Just saying.

15. thing

thing Well-Known Member

oh fucking hell, this is getting silly

16. startide

startide Member

You and I both know that isn't going to happen. I publicly declared on their FB that I had what I believed to be the largest collection in the world... (Certainly the most diverse.) And no dice. Besides, it wouldn't happen, it's not like it's all in one spot anyway.

Synapse weren't even responsible for the special features, according to them.

17. Zombie Dude

I actually had no idea but there you go. From what I read here it always seemed like they were happy to delay their titles if cool material had popped up that they could add.

18. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

It's official guys. Worst Blu-Ray cover EVER!

[​IMG]

(I am kidding by the way)

19. Zombie Dude

Do fans actually think it looks bad? I admit I didn't like the blue backgound at first but it has definitely grown on me. Plus it's the original one sheet so that's a plus.

20. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

I don't understand why fans beg and cry for a perfect Blu-ray release, get it, and then get all upset over the cover... which is the original poster with maybe a slightly different looking background color.
    What do they expect? It's a cult slasher film from the 80s that only devoted people remember (us), and oh-no the color on the original poster they used for the cover is off, let's complain and never be pleased. I don't understand.

it's amazing and wonderful that this release is even coming out at all....