Synapse Films

Discussion in 'General' started by X-human, Apr 22, 2007.

1. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Yeah well I was trying to explain, since you said "I don't understand why Criterion gets the credit they do" and I was trying to make you understand exactly why they have the following that they do. And it's the same reason Synapse does. Sure Criterion may not release films that interest you, which is totally, 100% fair. Everyone has their tastes. However, Criterion's catalogue does interest a very large amount of people clearly. Just as Synapse releases films that won't interest everyone. But the reason they have the following that they do is that no matter what they release, they are the most consistent studio in terms of quality. A Criterion label is virtually a guarantee for quality.

And to call the art films that Criterion releases "dogshit" is just ignorant. You said you have Two-Lane Blacktop. You think you'd have that film, one made during the "Hollywood Renaissance" if you didn't have the art films of Godard, Fellini, Antonioni, Truffaut or Resnais? Certainly not, considering a lot of the techniques that are common in 1970s Hollywood were lifted directly from 60s European art films, just as those directors were inspired by the classical Hollywood films that preceded them.

Just doesn't make sense to me how people can knock art cinema and praise 1970s Hollywood.

Criterion is the only studio that always produces good work. Synapse is another. But every other studio has issues every now and then. At least with Synapse and Criterion they always use the best elements available. We need a studio like Criterion to give art house films the treatment they deserve just as much as we need a studio like Synapse to give cult cinema and horror the treatment they deserve. Tastes aside, kudos to both, they're both doing great work.

~Matt

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  2. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

I've bought dozens of Criterion titles sight-unseen, because, as you said, their label is a virtual guarantee of quality. But I'm more interested in the quality of the films themselves, rather than the presentation. I can rest easy blind-buying a Criterion title, because I'm confident that any film they put their name on is going to be worth watching. I haven't been disappointed yet. But I'd rather watch a poor transfer of a great movie than a great transfer of a poor movie. Something like Seven Samurai would have been great even on VHS, as would Breathless, or Videodrome. The quality of the film itself is the most important thing.

3. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

That being said, what DOES piss me off with Criterion is when their titles go OOP. Right now I would commit murder for their blu-rays of The Third Man, Pierrot le fou and Army of Shadows. Wish I never sold them off when I was poor.

~Matt

4. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's unfortunate, but they do give ample warning when a title is going out of print. I remember them announcing that Le Cercle Rouge and Army Of Shadows were going out of print several weeks before it happened, so I was able to pick up the blu-rays of both for a reasonable price. I also have Pierrot le Fou, but on DVD.

5. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Yeah at the time I didn't have enough disposable income to grab them. When they lost all their studio canal titles they did the same thing.

~Matt

6. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

Titanic´s 3D conversion was $20 million so Dawn´s $6 Million was cheap.

7. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

Holy shit... I bought Third Man on Blu and can't believe it's worth thay much. Watched it once and it's wedged on the shelf somewhere.

8. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Well if you're willing to sell it...lol

~Matt

9. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Yeah, not all of their titles float my float, but I enjoy a fair amount of their titles and get why they release what they do. If Criterion didn't release a lot of these films, who would? They for the most part have a perfect track record, although they have two titles that received less than flavourful reviews: Children of Paradise and The Earrings of Madame De....

I wish they would release at least one mainstream title a month though, as some months are pretty lacking for me. They need to finally announce those Cronenberg titles, and Life Aquatic! But again, I know that's not their focus.

If you grab them during Barnes and Noble's sale, they can be found for $20, cheaper if you live in the US I believe. Not too bad for what you get if you ask me.

Yeah I was able to grab Army of Shadows and Le Cercle Rouge just after they were announced as going OOP. I lucked out there, but I missed out on the Third Man which really pisses me off!

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  10. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

When did Army of Shadows go OOP? The last title I heard of was their Paul Robeson set. When they were losing all their studio canal titles, I made a point of grabbing as many of them as I could. I ended up getting everything except A Woman is a Woman. But that's not something you can keep up if you don't have a sizable income.

I was lucky enough to buy The Third Man on dvd when it was re-released, and I'm happy with that. I've got the Studio Canal Classics collection BD release from Lionsgate as well, although I know it's not as good a transfer as the Criterion BD.

Now that major studios are losing interest in dvd and blu ray production, I'm kind of hoping Criterion can re-acquire some of their early, OOP titles. I'd love to be able to get a copy of The Killer at some point. And their Hard Boiled dvd was pretty bad, by today's standards.

11. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

March/April 2013.

12. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure their shipping to Australia isn't great. I'll have to look again next time they have a sale though.

13. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=160614

That should help you out a bit. Some awesome deals on there sometimes.

~Matt

14. Zombie Dude

15. bruce h

bruce h Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

16. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

Smallish updates regarding the status of Tenebrae and Phenomena:

https://www.facebook.com/permalink....&comment_id=6720886&offset=0&total_comments=9

17. Zombie Dude

18. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

Why didn't Synapse work all this out before licensing the title?

19. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

They are pretty much in the same situation as Arrow was with their earlier Italian releases.

It would be better if Synapse wait until they find better materials, but maybe they only got the rights for a short period, and can't afford to wait any longer?

Must be hell working with the italian titles, as they don't seem willing to hand out the negatives that often, and the labels are handed whatever old crap laying around.
    Though the Wild Side transfer of Tenebre is actually pretty damn good. Not perfect, but a huge step above all the other transfers before it.

But let's hope they can get the damn licensors to get them closer to the negatives.

20. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

I dunno but I was pretty damn pleased with Arrow's steelbook re-release of Tenebrae. I think it looks great, with great packaging and a ridiculous amount of special features. I won't be upgrading. But Phenomena I'm down for.

~Matt