Synapse officially announces TENEBRAE steelbook

Discussion in 'Site News' started by Dave, Jan 27, 2016.

By Dave on Jan 27, 2016 at 9:29 PM
  1. Dave

Dave Pimp

From their official Facebook page:

DARIO ARGENTO’S GIALLO MASTERPIECE FINALLY COMES TO U.S. BLU-RAY ON FEBRUARY 23rd FROM SYNAPSE FILMS

A 3-DISC (BLU-RAY, DVD & CD) LIMITED STEELBOOK™ EDITION OF DARIO ARGENTO’S HORROR CLASSIC! ONLY 3000 UNITS PRODUCED!

Italian terror master Dario Argento elevates the Giallo genre to new heights with 1982’s TENEBRAE, a darkly humorous, futuristic and notoriously grisly horror film many consider to be one of his finest works.

American mystery author Peter Neal (Anthony Franciosa) comes to Italy to promote his newest novel, TENEBRAE. Unfortunately, a razor-wielding serial killer is on the loose, taunting Neal and murdering those around him in gruesome fashion just like the character in his novel. As the mystery surrounding the killings spirals out of control, Neal investigates the crimes on his own, leading to a mind-bending, genre-twisting conclusion that will leave you breathless!

This all-new 1080p high-definition release of TENEBRAE is presented here, for the FIRST TIME EVER, with rare English insert shots never-before-seen on any optical disc release! Starring John Saxon (A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET), Daria Nicolodi (Dario Argento’s PHENOMENA) and John Steiner (CALIGULA), this slasher-horror classic also features an amazing music score from Claudio Simonetti, Fabio Pignatelli and Massimo Morante (formerly of Italian progressive-rock band, Goblin).

RAZOR-SHARP SPECIAL FEATURES INCLUDE:
    - All-new Synapse Films supervised color correction and restoration of a 1080p scan from original uncut negative elements, presented in the original aspect ratio of 1.85:1
    - Dual English and Italian language options with newly-translated English subtitle tracks for both
    - Audio commentary track featuring film critic and Argento scholar, Maitland McDonagh
    - Original international trailer
    - Booklet containing liner notes by Derek Botelho, author of THE ARGENTO SYNDROME, with additional technical notes by Vincent Pereira and Don May, Jr.
    - Chapter Selections
    - Collectible Steelbook™ Packaging by Silver Ferox Design

SPECIAL FEATURES EXCLUSIVE TO THE BLU-RAY DISC INCLUDE:
    - Rare high-definition 1080p English sequence insert shots, playable within the film via seamless branching
    - Feature-length in-depth documentary, YELLOW FEVER: THE RISE AND FALL OF THE GIALLO by High Rising Productions, chronicling the giallo film genre from its beginnings as early 20th century crime fiction, to its later influences on the modern slasher film genre. Featuring interviews with Dario Argento, Umberto Lenzi, Luigi Cozzi, Richard Stanley, and more!
    - Original UNSANE (U.S. version of TENEBRAE) end credits sequence
    - Alternate opening credits sequence
    - Japanese SHADOW theatrical trailer

INCLUDES A BONUS COMPACT DISC (19 Tracks) featuring an all-new 2015 remaster of the TENEBRAE motion picture soundtrack, containing additional tracks not included on the original 1982 album.

BLU-RAY SPECIFICATIONS
    Video: High-Definition 1080p Widescreen (1.85:1) Presentation / AVC Codec
    Audio: DTS-HD MA English 2.0 Mono / DTS-HD MA Italian 2.0 Mono
    Subtitles: English
    REGION: A

DVD SPECIFICATIONS
    Video: Anamorphic Widescreen (1.85:1) Presentation / NTSC
    Audio: Dolby Digital English 2.0 Mono / Dolby Digital Italian 2.0 Mono
    Subtitles: English
    REGION: 1

UPC: 654930318294
    ITEM #: SFD0159
    SUGGESTED RETAIL PRICE: $39.95

Synapse Films’ Steelbook™ release of Dario Argento’s TENEBRAE will be available exclusively from the Synapse Films website with a projected street date of February 23, 2016. Currently available for pre-order at the Synapse website for $39.95, with $6 for shipping. Customers interested in TENEBRAE who are located outside of the U.S. and Canada can contactDiabolikDVD.com for info on overseas ordering.

Sub-Categories: This article has no sub-categories
?

Are you buying it?

1. Yes

22 vote(s)
    56.4%
  2. No

11 vote(s)
    28.2%
  3. Waiting for the slimmed down/cheaper release

2 vote(s)
    5.1%
  4. I'll wait on reviews

4 vote(s)
    10.3%

Comments

Discussion in 'Site News' started by Dave, Jan 27, 2016.

1. russweiss
      russweiss
      Mine arrived today.
    2. fattyjoe37
      fattyjoe37
      Synapse just posted on Facebook & Twitter that less than 500 copies of the Tenebrae steelbook remain in stock
    3. Matt89
      Matt89
      What exactly are all the changes made? Is it posted online somewhere?

~Matt
    4. Katatonia
      Katatonia
      I don't think so. They're listed (there's dozens of corrections) in the booklet, plus there's also some corrections made that aren't even listed in the booklet.
    5. Matt89
      Matt89
      Can someone post a pic of the booklet where it shows the changes? This is a deciding factor for me lol.

~Matt
      Zombie Dude likes this.
    6. Katatonia
      Katatonia
      I don't know of any posted online, but I can try and take some pics of it later tonight.
      Steel76, Zombie Dude and Matt89 like this.
    7. Matt89
      Matt89
      That would be amazing thanks man.

~Matt
    8. Katatonia
      Katatonia
      Here's a scan of the booklet where it lists the corrections. These are what Synapse listed before they repaired them in the restoration. I'm sure it's only a "sampling" like it says since it only goes up to about 35 minutes into the film, and there were additional corrections that people noticed over on the Blu-ray.com forum for it. I don't have direct links to those, but they are listed somewhere in the Tenebrae SteelBook thread on there.

[​IMG]
    9. Steel76
      Steel76
      Damn, I have watched my Arrow Blu-Ray three times, and never noticed these thing :eek:
      Maybe better if I don't look for them ;)
    10. X-human
    11. Stige
      Stige
      That review pretty much made my case for forgetting this release.
    12. Matt89
      Matt89
      Wow thanks for posting that.

I didn't notice like any of those issues on the arrow tbh.

~Matt
    13. Katatonia
      Katatonia
      I did notice a couple of them on the Arrow Blu-ray...but most are only on a single frame or several frames, so even a blink will miss them easily.
      Steel76 likes this.
    14. Steel76
      Steel76
      I really don't notice any of these issues, so I´ll keep watching my Arrow disc, and put my money on new releases, like The Church, The Sect etc.
      I'll upgrade Tenebre, when a new 4K transfer shows up ;)
      x666x likes this.
    15. x666x
      x666x
      Yeah, that's what I don't get. I won't be upgrading my Arrow disc, either. Clearly there will be another stab at this movie down the road, anyway. So I am not concerned with issues I don't even notice. I do get it that it is still worth it for those who don't own it on blu yet though.
    16. crikan
      crikan
      I had the same experience. I didn't notice any of those flaws but I don't want to be on the lookout for them either.
    17. X-human
      X-human
    18. russweiss
      russweiss
      Why make it more difficult for buyers to get your product? Doesn't make sense to me from a business stand point.
    19. othervoice1
      othervoice1
      I am finally getting around to watching my copy tonight - woo hoo gonna be great!
    20. f.ramses
      f.ramses
      I was actually wondering the same thing as "QUANTITY TOO LOW TO LIST ON SITE." just sounds bizarre to me. I looked at the Synapse page and it says that the store is closed until 6/6; you can still order online but it won't ship out until 6/6 and if you want your order sent right away you have to call that number and order, so I guess maybe the number is low enough that they worry they might come back on 6/6 and find some un-fillable orders for Tenebre(?). I wonder if it will be back on the site after 6/6 if it doesn't sell out before then though, you can still order both Demons steelbooks from the site...