Synapse teases DEMONS for 2013 on Blu-ray!!!!!

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by fceurich39, Jan 4, 2013.

1. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Grrrrr.... fine, I just ordered the first movie. But now that I've paid the ridiculous price and gotten stuck with the lame steelbook, they'd BETTER NOT do a standard blu-ray edition for cheaper.

2. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

sounds like they've got about 400 more copies of Demons 2 than they do of Demons. once they've gotten rid of those last copies of Demons, I wonder how long it will take them to sell out on Demons 2? I like the sequel, but I can't imagine too many people wanting to own it, but not the original...

3. Chomp

Chomp Rudest Motherfucker on HD

Lame steelbook? These are two of the prettiest steelbooks that I own.

4. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I don't doubt that Demons 1 will sell out briskly after this announcement. Demons 2 on the other hand... They might not even be able to give away the remaining stock once Demons 1 sells out.

At the pace Synapse works, a standard release doesn't seem likely in the next few years. After they've wrapped up all the Argento's and the Demons 2 steelbooks sell out, they might revisit it then. But even then it depends if they go the same route with the Argento titles. If they reprint standard releases of Demons while still trying to sell Suspiria (their last Argento out the door) steelbooks it will tank all steelbook sales.

I don't expect Suspiria until 2016.

5. Mikey Horror

Mikey Horror Active Member

"We are glad this little experiment with alternate packaging went so well for us" Really? I think it's safe to say that this little steelbook, limited to 3000, overpriced experiment failed miserably. They would have sold a hell of a lot more had they been reasonably priced in standard cases. This business model pushed A LOT of people towards Arrow's release(s).

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
  6. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

I would say selling them out within a year at that price is a success. With the $60 Possession Blu-ray and $80 Nightbreed Blu-ray, people should be grateful this was only $50, especially considering all the work they put into it. I'm fine with paying a little extra if I know I'm getting a quality transfer, various audio channels, lots of extras, and a cool steelbook to top it off. People are fine paying $25-$30 for mediocre transfers and barebones movies, I don't see what the big deal is? I'd rather have one of these than two or three mediocre discs personally.

Anyone that chose the Arrow versions probably aren't huge fans of the films, as Synapse releases blows their versions out of the water.

7. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I received mine today. Ordered when they mentioned the quantities were low.

Only got the first film, but if Demons 2 is still available come August, I'll order that one as well. Didn't want to buy both on the same credit card statement, buying them separately doesn't make it look as bad (even though it's the same amount of money).

8. Dave

Dave Pimp

I couldn't bring myself to buy it. Hope they do a standard release.

9. Mikey Horror

I was on the fence about these for awhile, but finally ordered them awhile back and my god, these are beautiful releases. Yes, they're pricey, but I am glad I got them.

10. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

I'm a big fan of Demons, but given my income I just can't drop $50 on a single movie release, no matter how much I wanted to pick it up. I was really excited when I heard Synapse was putting it out, but as soon as they put out the press release stating they would only be releasing them as $50 steelbook releases I said "nope". I'm still not sure why they didn't do a standard release alongside the steelbooks, they would've sold a lot more copies.

11. Mikey Horror

I have no doubt they will eventually release standard editions of these. They worked too hard on the transfers not to get all the money they can out of these films. They know a lot of people just want standard editions.

12. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

I think that's a little unfair. Some people just can't afford to spend $100 on two films. Now, I didn't buy either because - you guessed it - I'm just not a huge fan of the films...not huge enough to need to upgrade my more-than-serviceable anamorphic Anchor Bay DVDs, anyway. But even if I was a huge fan, $100 for the two films is just too much for me to justify. I probably would have opted for the Arrow releases.

13. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

As far as I know, both of those other films you mentioned had/have a cheaper version available also whereas Synapse does not.
    I enjoy these films but the Arrow release was a great deal cheaper, contained both films and was easy to find and buy online with shipping to Australia.

If Synapse releases standard editions in the future I'll consider getting their version. Hopefully they do a double pack so I can save shelf space as well.

14. killit

killit Active Member

To be honest the synapse transfers aren't all that great, neither are the arrow of course. But man does the mono demons soundtrack sound like shit on this release (and that's usually my preferred.) The intl stereo is the only way to go, while I love kreator and all that, I loathe the steelbooks and their covers. A think a two pack digibook, with a soundtrack cd or something for 49.95 with both films would have been awesome. Speaking of Demons soundtracks, where are you death waltz!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  15. Stige

Stige Active Member

I found the colors on Demons2 too much. With the Arrow I don't have any trouble making out what was happening, not so with the Synapse version. I own the special editions of both from both companies.

16. Paul_s

Paul_s Member

:)

http://caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleic...236&disc1=3414&disc2=1840&lossless=#vergleich

http://caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleic...246&disc1=3415&disc2=1841&lossless=#vergleich

The Synapse versions are perfect (imo) given the age of the source material.
    For the price they are a bargain. Not sure why Arrow chose the horrid cool/blue filter with regards Demons... kinda spoils it (skin tones look flushed).
    Colours are rich and pop out on the Synapse disc...

and the difference between both versions on Demons 2 is pretty damning for the Arrow disc... it looks like someone did the transfer with a strong sun overhead! :eek:

Each to their own --- I agree with you on the soundtracks though!

17. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

The Synapse transfers are the best the movies have ever looked on home video.
    Trust me, i have owned it twice on VHS (UK and Holland), twice on LD (Japan and US), both Anchor Bay editions on DVD, and then the Arrow BD, that I sold and finally got the Synapse BD´s instead. This IS the best it has ever looked. There are a few flaws, especially on part 2, but those are on the negative, and have always been there.

I doubt I will ever upgrade them again.
    Unless they release a super 8K transfer on some Über HD format 15-20 years from now :D

18. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

If by bargain you mean Synapse... surely they aren´t!
    This was when Arrow had another lab for their Italian releases. They very much perfected it since then.
    Just like Tenebrae, I wouldn´t be surprised if they re-released it down the road.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
  19. Paul_s

Paul_s Member

I'm hopeful Arrow will sort out some of their older transfers --- I've been impressed though by later releases :) ('The Beyond' comes to mind)

:lol: I don't mind paying Synapse prices as their attention to detail is spot on; I agree with others that they should've given people the choice of non-steel book for those with a budget...

20. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

3,000 units might be the ceiling for Demons, certainly Demons 2.

The high price wasn't in the steel book alone, it was in the restoration. The price tag reflects what Synapse felt the MSRP would have to be for the number of units they expected to sell. The steel book was added value for the high price tag.

This is not unlike Shout's $80 Nightbreed. The number of units and price point are where they need to make money off this venture.

Hell Suspiria couldn't even sell 30,000 SE DVD's in a decade, so for Demons to sell 3000 in a year is pretty damn good.