Synapse To Put Out The Dorm That Dripped Blood(Pranks)

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by BlackAndBlu81, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

Special Becore Note: I'm a bit drunk:

Wow. Really? It's nowhere near as bad as Splatter U or Mutilator. While I enjoy all three...no... just, no. Not anyweehere s==== hear as bad as those 2. This is routine, but well made bd fun slasher fare...wow. i wnr to correct my mistakes but i have no urge to. lol, ok theb,,,

2. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

You're both wrong - The Mutilator is the best out of all three easily. Oh man, imagine a Blu of that :D

3. tropical marsh

tropical marsh Member

How am I wrong, if I said The Mutilator looks good compared to The Dorm that Dripped Blood? Still, it's no classic like The Prowler or Happy Birthday to Me.

4. Body Boy

Well, to each their own. I still think that Dorm is leagues above Splatter U and Mutilator, though if I;d have to list them, Mutilator would be the worst of the three, despite atmospheric beginning and gory murders. Like em all, but...I just don't see how Dorm is that bad. haha

5. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

I guess you're right - maybe the term "shitfest" threw me off :D

6. tropical marsh

tropical marsh Member

Yeah, I suppose I shouldn't disparage films like The Mutilator, The Dorm that Dripped Blood, or even Splatter University (I mean, someone's gotta like that one), cause I wouldn't appreciate someone trashing something I like (Cheerleader Camp, Hell Night, etc). :glasses:

7. Body Boy

To be fair, Hell Night is actually really atmospheric and well made.

As for Splatter U...maybe it's because everyone ragged on it before I watched it, but I didn't think it was too bad...just pretty bad. ;)

8. CrazyFatEthel

CrazyFatEthel New Member

I'm that someone "/

9. g0mang071

g0mang071 New Member

Spatter U is awesome - got the DVD and watched it twice back to back. Dorm is ok - I picked it up for the new scenes and pq - my VHS is damn dark. I haven't seen Mutilator in a long while - it definitely is the gorier of the 3.

10. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

Reviewed this for Oh, The Horror! recently.

The Dorm That Dripped Blood (1982)

Not the worst slasher I've ever seen, but it is fairly dull. Decent kills, although the budget occasionally keeps them from being truly great. The disc is worth buying, though. Synapse has done a superb job.

11. Korngold

Korngold New Member

Well done review Wes. Also damn, that half naked woman has some white, white titties.

12. Chomp

Chomp Rudest Motherfucker on HD

Yea…watched this one the other night…zero atmosphere, dull characters, thin motive…pretty boring all around. I wish I would have watched some of the extras first, so I could have known this was a student flick, and maybe perhaps cut it some slack…but, yea this one wasn’t good….kills were interesting, score was descent although plagiarized. If I was the professor of these kids, I would have given this project a C+.

This thing just had zero atmosphere…apparently this took place before Christmas break, aside from some cheap lights in the background of a few scenes, it sure as hell didn’t feel like it. Hell, the building didn’t even feel like a dorm. And weren’t the kids suppose to be getting ready for the dorm to close? Seemed like they played pool and sat in the kitchen half the time…should have been called The Kitchen that Dripped Blood.

13. Body Boy

I thought it had atmosphere in its age. Most older films have at least some of it.
    Though there were parts that certainly didn't utilize all it could. The light show in the kitchen before the boiling death was easily the best, most well crafted in the film. I like it, but wouldn't give it over 6/10.

14. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

I wouldn't say zero atmosphere either, but I can see how the low budget would be a turnoff for some. For me, it is a middleground slasher with lowbudget charm and a couple of creepy scenes. The sting-in-the-tail is what makes it memorable. But hey, I kinda enjoy Honeymoon Horror too. :) But I hate Nightmare at Shadow Woods, and I'm not too fond of Offerings either.

15. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

Yeah I thought it had some solid atmosphere, some cool kills and a great bleak ending.

I do agree the characters were dull, though. Not a bad slasher.

16. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

Yeah, i just wish they explained who the guy was in the beginning and how that tied into the rest of the film..

17. Chomp

When I say atmosphere, I'm talking about a sense of place, setting, and sometimes time. For example in Halloween... the way John Carpenter was able to create a Midwestern fall atmosphere during springtime in California. Like I stated above, it didn't even feel like they were in a dorm for the most part.

And I love low budget flicks, so that in no way was any part of the reason why this movie failed for me. Like I said, it was boringly formulaic and quickly became a chore to sit through...especially when the beginning showed so much potential.

I agree though, the kitchen kill was pretty good...I mean the kills were the movie's strong point as far as I am concerned. The rest of it, not so much. The "bleak" ending would have been great if the motive of the killer wasn't so thin and incredibly lame.

Finally...how can anyone not like Offerings?

18. Body Boy

lol, Offerings is utter shit! Dorm > Offerings in every way. XD

As for Nightmare at Shadows Woods/Blood Rage, I consider it a 2nd tier slasher. A great one at that. Wonderful score.

19. Chomp

How so? Sure its cheesy as hell and 2 bars away from plagiarism, but it's still entertaining simply for its bad charm. Its downright strange and almost surreal to watch...do people really act that way? Dorm is just dull....I had to fight the urge to hit the fast forward button. Zero charm...it just reeks of a trite student film in every sense.

Seriously, I'd take a six pack and my VHS of Offerings over The Dorm that Dripped Boredom Blu Ray any day of the goddamn week.

20. Body Boy

I'm the invert of that. Offerings is a sickeningly obvious Halloween clone, too close to the core, dull and boring throughout, nobody to root for and the ending is typical from most of the others. Dorm at least is gorier, creepier, has more likable characters and doesn't smell like an expired carton of milk... which by 1989, Offerings surely was.