Synapse To Put Out The Dorm That Dripped Blood(Pranks)

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by BlackAndBlu81, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Chomp

Chomp Rudest Motherfucker on HD

Haha...fair enough.

2. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Fuck, I actually love Dorm. And there are a bunch that I've revisited and been quite disappointed. I love the atmosphere of Dorm too, the music? Creepy as hell. Gore? Fucking great kills.

~Matt

3. Marshall Crist

Marshall Crist New Member

Saw DORM in the theatre and it was delightfully grainy on the big screen--almost verite, except the cinematography is really solid IMO, (although a hair dark.) Grungy, the way I like it. I actually LOVE the killer's stupid motive. I found it totally believable and well-conveyed by the actor (and the final girl.) Bad-ass ending.

4. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

marshall, do you recall what theater you saw it in? it most likey is gone by now.. quess you saw it in 83.

5. Marshall Crist

Marshall Crist New Member

I saw it at the "Hawthorne 6" (CA.) I believe it was an AMC theatre, and yeah, that whole mall is closed now. Double feature with STRANGE INVADERS. A month later DORM played on a local pay-TV channel as PRANKS.

6. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

Movies like Dorm are products of their time. True, many were derivative and stupid and were only made to cash in on the post-Halloween and Friday the 13th slasher craze, but you have to admit that these movies have a certain charm and style that you will NEVER see again, not in a remake, homage or reboot and no matter how "true to the original" these music video directors claim they want to emulate. I'll take Dorm over I Know What You Did Last Summer any time.

7. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

Yeah movies these days are generic produced shit.

8. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

ya know when modern day horror movies went bad. with stuff like scream and i know what you did, when they had the young cast on the front poster, no creativity in the poster art. I love the late 70's early 80's poster art. it was cool and creative . not like today where its all CGI looking and plain boring ect...

9. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Though I would generally agree with you guys about modern horror, The Dorm That Dripped Blood is probably not the best movie to prove that point.

10. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

It's a million times better then any turd being made nowadays.

11. delicreep

delicreep Active Member

The bar isn't too high in being better than a turd.

12. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

Finally got around to watching DEATH DORM last night.

Its amusing to re-visit this thread. There are pages and pages of “Awesome!” and “I really love this one” before Synapse’s disc was released. After release, pages and pages of “meh”.

First off, I’m glad I supported Synapse’s effort with my cash. I wish every 80’s slasher, even crap ones like THE MUTILATOR, received the super deluxe treatment that Synapse gave THE DORM THAT DRIPPED BLOOD. Don deserves an award (and a big ole pile of cash) for what he’s given us. I really love the transfer and I didn’t notice the addition of new effects (it was my first viewing of the film).

That said, the film is a bit of a bore. Even by slasher standards the acting is atrocious and the characters aren’t that interesting. Slasher fans often complain about clichéd characters. Well PRANKS could have used a jock, jokey fat guy, wiry nerd or a dumb blonde. There are some gore effects that make the film worth seeing. I’m still a bit nauseated from Daphne’s (off screen) head pop and the drill sequence is worth the price of admission. I wish the killer’s motivations were more elaborate or interesting but the final 10 minutes is still worth sitting through.

Anyone that considers themself a slasher fan needs to pick up Synapse’s THE DORM THAT DRIPPED BLOOD. It’s not 88 solid minutes of good movie watching but there are some things worth seeing (mostly boobs and blood). And I can easily think of a dozen slashers that are worse.

13. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I think it's very much a "meh" film. It's got good bits but for the most part it's pretty slow and boring. Like you said, the characters aren't all that interesting. They're so much the same that I was confusing some of them for being the same person.

Cool release though nonetheless.

14. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

I dunno, I like this movie much more now than I did before. I think it's quite well-done.

~Matt