Synapse To Put Out The Dorm That Dripped Blood(Pranks)

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by BlackAndBlu81, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Marshall Crist

Marshall Crist New Member

Updates about DORM, specifically? January or February 2011. Perhaps friend Don on Facebook for Synapse info.

2. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

They've announced the blaxspoitation flix Death of a Snowman for November and are putting out a re-release of Bizarre re-titled as Secrets of Sex.

But no, no other announcements.

3. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

They've finished the transfer and remaster for Dorm just recently and are prepping it for DVD duplication currently, so it's coming along.

4. bruce h

bruce h Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

Had dinner with Don last week and discussed this title a bit -- fans should be happy, as there's some good supplements in addition to the rare pre-release cut.

5. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

6. Getmoredvdsout

Getmoredvdsout New Member

That means at least a two month wait before the title gets mentioned again. That's if it does get mentioned :)

7. SynapseFilms

SynapseFilms Guest

Haha! I only mentioned it because "Nailwraps" said, "How many companies (beside Blue Underground) can aquire[sic] titles from Anchor Bay?"

Well, I just needed to answer that question, otherwise I wouldn't have said anything at all. Truth is, as SOON as we find the proper transfer materials, I'll reveal the title. The ink is barely dry on the contract. It's taken a LOOOONG time to land it (along with a few other juicy titles, I might add)... it was one of the titles I had mentioned months ago on some forum, where I had said Synapse had three surprise announcements that genre fans will be excited about.

I announced one set (the Hammer films)... the next set will be hopefully announced in the next few months. It just took an amazingly LONG time for the contract to arrive in our excited, shaky little hands. We still have that third set of films for the fans (coming soon), too.

Just want to make sure all our "ducks" are in a row, as it were. And, no, that is NOT a clue to what any of the titles may be. ;)

Oh, and I might as well give a little update on DORM...

The transfer to HDCAM SR is finally done.

I have to give our digital restoration artist some props for SLAVING away at the restoration for us over the course of, no joke... 8 months. The uncut version of the film was a huge mess, but it was the only element that had the uncut footage intact, so we had to use it. Just so you know how miraculous the restoration was on this movie, we are maybe going to create a small featurette, similar to what we did on BLUE SUNSHINE, to show the difference between our new digitally remastered version and the original elements we used. The difference is jaw-dropping.

We had a few month delay on top of the extensive restoration work when a (now-ex) employee of one of the production facilities we worked at repeatedly dropped the ball on getting me check discs of the transfer to look at. Finally got the HD .dpx data files of the scan and then, when we went to lay down the reels to HDCAM SR, the machine kept crapping out!

So, finally, things were put back in working order and the film has successfully been put to HD tape. Now, it's off to do the audio. We received the commentary and Michael Felsher @ Red Shirt Pictures is working on some supplements. Now, fingers crossed that the recently uncovered mag 3-stripe audio actually MATCHES our different version! Gulp! I'll know more when I get back from working on some super secret titles in LA (you know, the ones I'm teasing you with, without giving you any firm information)! ;) Haha!

It's coming but, as is the nature of this business, unforseen things arise that can cause unbearable delays. But, I think, the results will speak for themselves when we release the title.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2010
  8. bgart13

bgart13 New Member

A new edition of ROAD GAMES would be cool to have.

9. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

Thanks for the update. Been wanting to see this one for awhile.

10. Getmoredvdsout

haha top bloke for posting that, Don.

I am an inpatient man....that's the long and short of it. It's not nice to torture a duckling ;)

Don, I have been looking around and there are ALOT of unreleased 80s slashers on DVD. Films like ICED, which is now supposed to be public domain, and not to mention Curtains, Screams of a winter night, Blood Frenzy, Hide and go shriek, Terror on tour, Blood salvage, Humongous etc

Have you ever looked into these titles and what are the chances of them seeing a release? If you could get back to me on that question then I promise I will pre order Dorm as soon as it up for pre order aka blackmail :D

11. SynapseFilms

SynapseFilms Guest

We've looked into a few of the ones you listed. SCREAMS was one we looked at recently, but my business partner wasn't keen on it. HUMONGOUS too... I think we spoke to the owners. Don't know why we didn't end up doing it.

Now, I fully expect proof of your DORM preorder when the time comes! ;)

12. Getmoredvdsout

I am a man of my word. Definate pre order when it is available. Guaranteed with proof! :)

Thanks for the info. It would be interesting to see Screams and Humongous on DVD. At least it sounds like silly figures of money are not being asked, so hopefully some company could pick them up.

13. springjack

springjack New Member

What about CURTAINS?

Did you looked into it? If so, wasn?t the deal good?
    ________
    POT

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  14. SynapseFilms

SynapseFilms Guest

A few years ago, we spoke to the director about it. Honestly, I cannot remember why we didn't do the title, but there must've been a good reason.

15. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

Don, is it possible to acquire Blood Beach or (It Came)Without Warning? Those titles are looooong overdue for a DVD/blu release.

16. SynapseFilms

SynapseFilms Guest

BLOOD BEACH would be fun. WITHOUT WARNING is owned by MGM (or whatever entity owns them these days).

17. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

I believe Without Warning is STILL owned by MGM.

18. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

I recall someone around here, maybe Code Red, was saying that Screams would cost too much money to transfer because the original negative was 35 mm or something? Your business partner is not keen on doing it? We'll fix him. Moose, Rocko - help the Judge find his wallet!

Humongous totally needs to be done too. That would be awesome.

19. pwrslave

pwrslave New Member

I recall in a post somewhere that Synapse was going to be releasing the Violent Shit trilogy but I haven't heard any news on it since. Any word on this?

20. Getmoredvdsout

Man, thats a shame. There are so many 80s slashers that cryin out for a DVD release.

I would love to know what the hold up is with some titles. If you could get anyone of the following out, Don then I would gladly pay $30 a title. Im serious.

Iced
    Hide and go shriek
    Highway to hell
    Curtains
    Humongous
    The Prey
    Body Bags (John Carpenter)
    The Mutilator
    Whodunit
    Blood Frenzy
    Hunters Blood
    Blood Salvage