Tales from the Crypt: The Complete Series

Discussion in 'General' started by The Joker, Jun 4, 2017.

1. The Joker

The Joker Well-Known Member

June 20, 2017 - but only on DVD, no Blu?

[​IMG]

2. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Yeah I saw this on Bloody Disgusting the other day and thought the same thing, why no bluray? The show is great and I have yet to own it, nor have I seen the last two seasons. Definitely would have jumped on a blu release but this has me slightly hesitant as it surely got to get a blu release down the line.

The Joker likes this.
  3. killit

killit Active Member

Still don't get why the hell its not on hbo go. I love this series, even the films, even ritual. Will def pick this up, hopefully not at 169.99. Only thing the box hints at is original uncut episodes too racy for tv and loads of extras, I can't remember if the original sets also claimed this?

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
    The Joker likes this.
  4. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

I guess I'll stick with my old DVDs. It's a very strange announcement, to be sure.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
    The Joker and Zombie Dude like this.
  5. The Joker

Same here. On blu...I'm sold. But I try never to buy a DVD when there's a blu release or the potential for one, and I think this set has the potential.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  6. chancetx

chancetx Active Member

Amazon had it for pre-order priced at $19.99 for maybe a day a couple weeks ago. I managed to get an order in but I won't be surprised if they cancel it. I never bought the individual seasons so $20 for the entire series was more than worth it. I thought I read here some time back that HBO claimed the elements for an HD release weren't available so there wouldn't be a Blu-ray release. But I could be mixing it up with Freddy's Nightmares or some other 80s anthology.

7. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

The key question when it comes to older TV series on Blu-Ray: "Was it shot and edited on film?"

I'm not sure where Tales from the Crypt stands in this regard, but given the era in which it was produced, there's a fair chance some aspects of the series exist only on videotape and could be cost-prohibitive to recreate in HD.

I'm pretty sure Freddy's Nightmares was shot on tape.

8. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I can't see HBO spending the money to produce a blu-ray set of this series. The episodes were indeed shot on film and never looked particularly good even when they originally aired. Even though the last couple of seasons are poor, I would still purchase a complete blu-ray collection if it were to be released.

9. m@ggot

m@ggot Active Member

Anyone a fan of the show's seventh and final season, when production moved to England?...Freddie Francis, who directed the original Amicus production, directed an episode...appearances from Daniel Craig and Ewan McGregor...as well as Jane Horrocks and Julia Sawalha, if you're an "Absolutely Fabulous" fan...

10. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

This is exactly the question and answer for most pre-digital television in the 80s and 90s. Even if it was shot on film, most shows were assembled, edited and finished on SD video tape with CGI/post-effects also done in SD, thus meaning the only way a Blu-ray release would be possible would be to completely RE-DO the entire post-production process using the camera negatives. That means completely re-edit from scratch, re-do all the digital effects, etc. etc.

They did this recently (well, over years and years of work) for the Star Trek: Next Generation Blu-ray set and it was an extremely expensive and time-consuming process that is fully detailed here if you want to get an understanding on why Tales from the Crypt is being re-issued as DVD-only: http://www.treknews.net/2017/02/02/why-ds9-voyager-not-on-blu-ray-hd/

zbinks and Workshed like this.
  11. Natas

Natas ....on the warm side of the dooooooor

Amazon has it listed at $130 right now. I don't own any of the dvds, so this might interest me when the price drops.

12. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Correct, The X-Files being another major example of a TV series that had to be completely reassembled from scratch for an HD release. Details on that process here: http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/7468/remastering-the-files-hd-jim-hardy-ceo-illuminate/index.html

I don't think Crypt is high profile enough for such an undertaking, even though I'd love to see it happen. This is also the reason why so many straight-to-video horror films from the late '80s / early '90s haven't made the leap to blu. Video was a new thing, hi-def was still on the horizon, it was cheaper to edit this stuff on video considering that at the time fullscreen standard-def was the only way they could imagine them being seen.

zbinks likes this.
  13. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Exactly. I avoid DVD these days too. My main gripe is that they're just not as hardy as blurays. I've had bluray's arrive with loose discs, opened them up and they've been fine. The same can not be said of DVD's.

The Joker likes this.
  14. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

You won't be thrilled to know that Amazon had a price error on the complete set this past weekend for $20. I'll give you a moment to let that sink in. I missed it too.

Workshed likes this.
  15. Natas

Natas ....on the warm side of the dooooooor

No shit? That's pretty wild. Wonder how many people took advantage of that. Would have bought 6 and updated the ol' Ebay account REAL quick lol

16. The Joker

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

17. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

The sad thing is, I think the $20.00 price error, as good a deal as it is, is quite a bit closer to what the MSRP on this set should be than the crazy $130.00 MSRP they've actually placed on it. At $130.00, they've placed a higher MSRP on this set than Paramount did for their Blu-Ray box set reissues of The Twilight Zone and Star Trek.

You used to be able to buy seasons 1 and 2, 3 and 4, and 5 and 6 as side by side 2-packs, and those two packs were only $19.99 each or $10.00/season, and that's probably where a complete series box set MSRP should stand, $10.00/season or $69.99.

chancetx, buck135 and Zombie Dude like this.
  18. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Well-Known Member

And those two packs sat on the retail shelf a long time - most interested customers had already bought them long before. And then there was the Big Lots blow outs at$3 a season, got my set that way.

A bit of price point consumer expectations. I bought a couple extra sets from Big Lots, originally for trade stock. Last year I decided to put a set on eBay, new in shrink. Priced it at $60 shipped. Didn't move. Eventually had to drop the price to $40 before it sold. Price check on sold listings at the time showed it was not an uncommon price point. The second (last) set I just dumped at a local second hand store, just wasn't worth the hassle of shipping.

This new release will have to pack on some major new content to come close to justifying a $130 MSRP, and even then I expect the street price to drop significantly. Only a re-master would be worth that price out the gate.

Zombie Dude and zbinks like this.
  19. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Several people on bluray.com nabbed copies before Amazon caught on. They were fortunate.