Tells me your favorite b&w

Discussion in 'Classic' started by Dave, Sep 6, 2016.

1. soxfan666

soxfan666 Well-Known Member

Touch of Evil and Casablanca

2. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Too many to list. Casablanca, NOTLD, Psycho, Carnival of Souls I own ... But Seven Samurai, Manhattan, etc. I could list maybe 100 films...

3. Dave

Dave Pimp

I love Carnival of Souls. Very slow but beautiful. FYI I'm looking for older B&W flicks, so screw Clerks and the like. Tons of good stuff that I'm adding to my list. Who knows when I will get the time to watch them. I do have a vacation coming up.

As for Nosferatu and other silent with color tint, I have always considered those B&W so I'm good with those suggestions.

4. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

As you've already seen THE THIRD MAN ,I will suggest TOUCH OF EVIL. John Huston's THE MATESE FALCON is great fun too.

5. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Nice call on IN HARM'S WAY, just watched it again last week. That Otto Preminger film is underrated. Good call on THE LONGEST DAY too.

Katatonia likes this.
  6. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

I haven't rewatched Carnival of Souls in a very long time, so I'm not leaning toward William Castle's House on Haunted Hill- but I really used to love Carnival of Souls. So I should rewatch it.

indrid13 likes this.
  7. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Let me tells you about my two favorite B&W films, Dave:

Cat People (1942) and The Curse of the Cat People (1944). I enjoy sequels that take a different route from the original, and TCotCP certainly does by dropping the 'horror' and replacing it with...magical realism, perhaps. Both are prime examples of gorgeous B&W films, but given that they are products of RKO Studios, and the original is directed by Jacques Tourneur, I bet you've seen 'em.

DVD-fanatic-9 and indrid13 like this.
  8. loutoad23

loutoad23 Active Member

There are many..

Two that come to mind are a bucket of blood and kiss me deadly

9. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

On the lighter side (since everyone else took most of my favorites), I do enjoy screwball comedies like THE AWFUL TRUTH, HIS GIRL FRIDAY, SOME LIKE IT HOT, THE THIN MAN series (except for the last one, maybe), etc. Sometimes it's nice to take a break from the body fluid-based humor of recent years.

DVD-fanatic-9 likes this.
  10. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    CURSE OF THE CAT PEOPLE is my favorite #1 b/w movie.

Workshed, DVD-fanatic-9 and indrid13 like this.
  11. DVD-fanatic-9

I probably just need to rewatch the original Cat People but Curse was such a beautiful, lush, poignant sequel and completely face-lifted the story and made it so much more interesting.

I hate to say but of the other Tourneur's I've seen, it's just Cat People which disappointed me and The Comedy of Terrors which I loved once but doesn't hold up to rewatches.

Ha- I was born in '82 and mainstream comedy has been like that throughout the majority of my lifetime. It's weird how people forget how many decades comedy has been rooted in crassness.

But, major points for mentioning His Girl Friday. Great film with banter and humor that holds up extremely well by today's better TV, at the very least.

12. delicreep

delicreep Active Member

Off the top of my head:

Night of the Demon
    12 Angry Men
    On the Waterfront
    The Apartment
    Bride of Frankenstein
    Black Sunday
    The Manchurian Candidate
    Night of the Hunter
    Them
    Touch of Evil
    The Seventh Victim
    Raging Bull
    The Haunting
    The Big Sleep
    Dr. Strangelove
    Young Frankenstein
    Carnival of Souls
    Duck Soup
    It Happened One Night
    The Thin Man

And I know I am forgetting many, many more...

13. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

B&W or color has never been an issue for me, and I don't differentiate based on that criteria. I tend to despise modern editing rhythms, so I'd much rather hunker down with a B&W movie I've never seen than a typical modern movie. But, again, I'm more cognizant of style than color or the lack thereof.

Those who discriminate against B&W films really need to check them out in high-definition. Contrast is everything when it comes to B&W photography because "color" is just different shades of gray. Many B&W movies look dramatically better in hi-def than their color counterparts because black is REALLY black and there are many, many more variations of gray. Universal's 1931 Dracula immediately springs to mind. All of its DVD presentations were washed-out and dull-looking. It looks striking on Blu-ray, and it's a much more atmospheric and involving film.

Val Lewton's catalog really cries out for the hi-def treatment. I would love to see a hi-def box set that mirrors the DVD collection. Since Criterion licensed Cat People, I'm guessing that's not going to happen. Pity.

I really want The Thing From Another World, too--and all of Universal's flicks from the 1930s. Murders in the Rue Morgue, The Black Cat, and The Raven would look amazing. It saddens me that lots of people aren't interested in these movies because of the B&W photography.

14. DVD-fanatic-9

I did not assume that's what this thread was about. Every B&W film enthusiast I've ever heard insists there are special qualities to B&W cinema that color doesn't have and I naturally also assumed they knew what they were talking about.

It's alright for the 2 to be separate / different. They are, after all, just styles of film / photography.

15. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

you won't be disappointed. I picked up the region B UK Blu a few months ago, and its a great film. Great looking too.

Night of the Hunter and Touch of Evil are masterpieces, no two ways about it. They're spectacular, and their use of B&W cinematography is beautiful.

Other good ones already mentioned: The Haunting, Maltese Falcon, His Girl Friday, Casablanca, Citizen Kane, Kiss Me Deadly.

Also check out Double Indemnity, Treasure of the Sierra Madre, The Dark Corner, Kiss of Death, Key Largo, Little Caesar, and the Public Enemy.

I cannot understand anyone who doesn't like B&W films. Just writing these titles out is making me want to go watch more!

DVD-fanatic-9 likes this.
  16. Eddyw78

Eddyw78 Member

Wow there are so many that I love from many genres. If it were just horror I would say Island of Lost Souls which is extremely atmospheric and surprisingly strong for a 1930s picture. I also would put the original King Kong in there as well as a handful of John Ford westerns such as Stagecoach, My Darling Clementine and Fort Apache. I also cannot forget Japanese cinema and would also include Yojimbo, The Seven Samurai and Rashomon.

dave13 likes this.
  17. DVD-fanatic-9

Op- almost forgot The Ghost Train (1941).

18. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I'm not a massive b&w fan, not that I hate the style but they usually don't appeal to me unless I'm recommended a title.
    I'll say King Kong is pretty amazing. I'm always fascinated how good the stop motion looks and what they were able to achieve back then.
    Psycho is also a great one. It still holds up brilliantly today.
    I'll also say the first two Frankenstein films really surprised me with the quality of the makeup and sets. Really great stuff.

Didn't care much for Carnival of Souls and Night of the Living Dead.

19. DVD-fanatic-9

Romero did say he was heavily influenced by the former in making the latter.

20. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Well there you go! Haha.