Tentacles Mgm Dvd

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by Richard Anthony, Aug 27, 2004.

1. Richard Anthony

Richard Anthony Member

Does anyone know if the new MGM DVD of TENTACLES is the Uncut Version that I've been hearing about for quite some time now? I recall there being talk of a longer print of the film, and I was curious if MGM'S new DVD of the film uses that print.

2. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I actually just watched this on the double-feature MGM DVD last morning.

I don't know if it's Uncut or not, but the movie does run for 1 hour and 47 minutes. The anamorphic transfer is absolutely stunning too, I was amazed at how good it looked for a 70's film. The weird music score is also a high point.

3. Tuzotonic

Tuzotonic Guest

I'm actually a little ashamed to admit this, but I like this movie despite the negative reviews nearly everyone has given it. I agree with Katatonia, I really liked the music as well. Just something about this movie, don't ask me what, caused me to like it.

4. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

THis is definitely the long cut, although I was left scratching my head as to what was added. I guess it's primarily extended shots here and there rather than the addition of deleted scenes.

5. youthief

youthief Member

delete

Last edited: Aug 18, 2008
  6. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

I remember watching this at the drive-in when it was first released, the scene with the baby stroller was pretty memorable. I have tried in vain to watch it since then and it just puts me to sleep. Incredible that Henry Fonda was in this!!

7. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

You're right, I hit a 7 instead of a 1 on the keyboard accidently.

8. Great italian cheese , i have the MGM double feature with Empire of the Ants which is a better film. I love when you hear a corny piece of music after every death at the begining , i only watched the first 15 minutes as i was distracted but will watch it later tonight . Yeh it's hard to believe a big actor like Henery Fonda would want to star in such a film , i guess he got paid well .

9. geepy

geepy Guest

10. ArrowBeach

ArrowBeach Active Member

many of the dialogue is longer, as is the boat race sequence. also the longer cut uses a different music score than the US version on the climax killer whale vs octopus scene.

11. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

Woohoo! Glad to hear about that since I've yet to see it!
    :rolleyes:

12. And did you notice all those weird freeze-frame moments of the people on the beach? What was that all about? Those weren't in the American version as far as I remember. Really dumb editing technique and that boat-race scene goes on and on. Still, it's so awful, you can't help but love it!

13. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

Gonna have to pick this up, saw this way back some years ago on french language tv. :)

14. Just watched this an hour ago , i forgot how much i enjoy this movie . I also noticed the freeze frame in some parts , i thought there was something wrong with the disc .

15. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

The boat race in the American cut is much more effective than this longer edit MGM released. It was shorter and didn't have nearly as many close-up shots of the Octopus' eyes above the water. Man, did it look fake!

16. patmcgahern

patmcgahern Guest

So did anyone pick Any up?

17. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Just watched Tentacles from last night's TCM Underground airing (it was a double feature with Razorback).

Super disappointed that Shelley Winters didn't get to show off any of her amazing swimming skills from The Poseidon Adventure. I wanted to see her jump in the water and fight the octopus, especially after it ate her son's little friend.

Copyboy likes this.