Terminator Genisys (2015) Review

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by thing, Jul 1, 2015.

1. thing

thing Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Terminator Genisys (2015)
    Directed by Alan Taylor

This is the fifth cinematic entry in the Terminator franchise and in this one John Connor (Jason Clarke) sends Kyle Reese (Jai Courtney) back to 1984 as it was in the first film, only this time the timeline has changed and the objectives are are different. Based on the trailers and the last few films in the series, I went into this one with very low expectations which I would suggest and expect anyone to do.

I enjoyed the first 25 minutes of the film where they revisited events from the original film and had scenes from the future which looked pretty similar to the way they were depicted in the first two films (why they still refuse to make a film in that setting, I do not know). After that however the film gets bogged down with a lot of pseudo B.S and over complicates itself timeline wise and really makes little sense. The film needed a more clear-cut narrative rather than just trying to gloss over the nonsense.

Technically the film is mixed bag with a large amount of the CGI shots looking godawful, especially when Arnie is fighting himself. Then at other times the effects work quite well. The action however does not feel like it has high stakes or any weight to it which is probably not helped by the mixed tone of the film. The injection of comedy which started with the T2 is here and a little overdone and makes this 'end of the world' tale feel unimportant.

The performances are all passable but Jai Courtney (Die Hard 5) is one of the blandest actors around who is getting consistent mainstream work. Emilia Clarke (Game of Thrones) is solid as Sarah Connor and Jason Clarke (Dawn of the Planet of the Apes) whom I usually do not care for puts in some pretty good work. However Arnold is who I was most worried about after his dreadful effort in Terminator 3 but he was actually pretty good here save for some of the terrible gags they had written for him.

All in all I was more entertained by this than I was with Terminator Salvation but Salvation had a better tone and was better made. This was much better in almost every way than T3 and did not have anyone in it as annoying as Ed Furlong in T2 but did not feel as important as that film. In the end none of the sequels can match the serious gritty tone of the original and its gripping real world feel and weight of the consequences presented. ALl the sequels want to be block-busters and this entry would be the most entertaining since the second film, if only its plotting was not such a mess.

5.5-6/10

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
  2. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

I wish your dog had done the review.

"Wooof woof wooooof wooof wooof woof wooooof woooof woof....."

3. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Next sequel, Terminator: Geriatrics

4. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

Come with me if you want to woooooooof!

5. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

The only way any of the events can be explained is with another film, which is never a good sign, but at least that's the direction they appear to be going because they weren't just unintentional plot holes but blatant questions left unanswered.

But they had at least one continuity error with the photo of Sarah Connor, unless in the future they had a method of making a copy of a poloroid.

6. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

"Dreadful effort in T3". One of my favorite films. It's so much fun and I just don't understand all the hate.

7. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

Any fan of this series will no doubt go and watch this new one regardless of reviews so there's really no point in trashing the film...until after you've seen it. Make up your own mind, folks. If it stinks, it stinks - don't let the armchair critics dampen your enthusiasm. I've gone to see lots of films that were critically maligned that I've ended up enjoying. A good popcorn flick is just that - nothing more.

8. thing

thing Well-Known Member

Truly abysmal, near unwatchable

9. thing

thing Well-Known Member

Lol, my review is better than most

10. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

Ridiculous hyperbole. It has some the best action sequences put to film and is a logical progression for a franchise who's premise is completely illogical. It's a fun summer thrill ride and I love the ending.

11. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Even though I enjoyed Salvation, this is the most entertaining sequel since part 2.
    Actually, I found it too be even more fun than T2 these days.
    I really loved T2 back in the day, but today, that shithead Ed Furlong, is just as annoying, to me, as Jar Jar Binks was in Phantom Menace. I just can't stand that fucking brat. I wish that the T-1000 got him in the end, and punch his head off :D
    Part 3 was pretty much forgettable, except for that carchase with the trucks.
    Though the ending was pretty good, and fitting.

I didn't expect Genisys to be THIS entertaining.
    Also, I love the satire, of how we humans are basically stuck to the internet and mobile devices 24/7.
    There is not really any need for something like Skynet, we're already held hostages by the machines :D

Had no problems with the PG-13 rating either. Non of the sequels, was as dark, brutal and graphic as the original. Except for a few bloody closeups, part 2 and 3, felt like PG-13 movies as well. People are still getting shot and pierced by objects in this one ;)

Don't miss the post credit sequence ;)

12. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

One of these days I'm going to edit Furlong out of the film. Or at the very least, make a T-1000 highlight reel. Furlong makes T2 a chore to sit through these days.

13. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

I freaking loved T3, not ashamed to admit it. That ending, wow! Bleak and uncompromising to be sure but very appropriate to the storyline (no copouts). I usually don't give a shit about actors but I was secretly hoping Furlong would reprise his role in T3, along with Linda Hamilton. I wonder if they had, in fact, appeared in the film and if Cameron had directed it, if people would've felt differently about the film. In any case, I enjoyed it quite a bit and really dug the badass female Terminator. Earl Boen's cameo was cool too and gave the film a bit of a connection to the previous films even if nothing else did, sadly. A good, solid action flick and a worthy sequel (for the most part) :)

14. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

You have to take rating in context. If Genisys was released 25 years ago, it would've been given an R rating simply on the basis of the swearing (and there's a considerable amount of it on display here).

15. Mikey Horror

Mikey Horror Active Member

My question is why is it so hard to bring Linda Hamilton back? If she's doing Asylum Sy-Fy channel shit like "Bermuda Tentacles", I doubt you'd have to twist her arm to do another Terminator film. They're just much better films with her in them.

16. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

If you're going to crack a joke at his reviews make sure it's funny.

What you did right now is NOT funny.

17. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

Glad to hear someone else enjoyed that bit. I love his expression.

Most big budget sequels are gutless and many give little effort to be faithful to the original. T3 deserves a lot of kudos for that gut punch ending. I didn't think Hollywood had it in them.

Even for those that don't like the casting, I don't know how to communicate with any Terminator fan that doesn't go ga-ga over the truck case and bathroom brawl.

18. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

I'll stand with y'all that really enjoyed T3.

The casting was a bit weak. And, living up to the standards of the first two is near impossible. But, overall, I thought is was a pretty solid film.

19. thing

thing Well-Known Member

1. The Terminator 9/10
    2. Terminator 2: Judgement Day 6.5/10
    3. Terminator Salvation 5.5-6/10
    4. Terminator Genisys 5.5-6/10
    5. Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines 3/10

3 and 4 are pretty interchangeable as they have very different problems.

20. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

For me it would be more like this.

1. Terminator 2 - I loathe and hate this movie but it's a superior film. 9 1/2 /10
    2. Terminator - My personal favorite but not as well made as 2. 9/10
    3. Terminator Genesys - Dumb popcorn flick but closer to the first 2. 6/10
    4. Terminator Salvation - Hated it but not as much rise. 4/10
    5. Terminator Rise - Pile of shit what were they thinking? 2/10