Terminator Genisys (2015) Review

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by thing, Jul 1, 2015.

1. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

I saw Terminator Genisys this afternoon - the critics are not saying nice things about it but I thought it was a fun action movie. Sure its mostly the same story over again and it has a few dumb spots in it - but I liked the winks back to the first two movies and some of the humor.

I give it a 7/10. But I also liked T3 as well so it's hard for the franchise to disappoint me too much- I enjoy them all really.

I know most like Terminator 2 the most (and it is the better made film of the two) but like Thing I personally like watching the first one the most. Here would be my rankings

Terminator - 10/10
    Terminator 2 9.5/10
    Terminator Genysis 7/10
    Terminator 3 6.5/10
    Terminator Salvation 6.5/10

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
  2. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

And by the way I saw a review saying that Emilia Clarke was miscast in this movie - and I love her in Game of Thrones and think she is both talented and gorgeous - but I have to agree. She just didnt feel right as Sarah Conner. I think maybe she is just too cute and too short - lol. But then again I might have enjoyed it partially because I love her in Game of Thrones

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
  3. Dave

Dave Pimp

She's too old looking. OK for Arnokd; not on for her. Not sayings it is right but that is my guess.

4. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

I agree with othervoice on pretty much all points, except that I have zero recollection os SALVATION and barely bits of 3. I thought this was a fun ride--exactly what I was expecting, but with some fun plot turns sprinkled in. I'll buy it on blu when it's released at a good sale price, for sure.

5. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

The first one, in my opinion is the only one that is indispensable. All of the others fumble over themselves to justify their existence, even the beloved T2. But nevertheless I enjoy them all. I just can't help but laugh that Arnold is in every single one as the Terminator, but John Connor, the one that is supposed to be human, is played by a different actor in every film. So in a way it makes perfect sense to make him the big bad cyborg in this one.

6. Christy

Christy Member

None of my friends are interested in the new Terminator film. Guess I'll just go see it with my Dad this weekend.

7. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

They're probably not fans of the series or of sci-fi movies in general. Or maybe they'd rather not spend the holiday weekend in a dark theater? I can't imagine anyone not wanting to check this out, even casual fans. Plus there really isn't anything else to see. As far as box office predictions, I think this could make anywhere from $36 to 50 million dollars over the 3-day weekend. If it makes less than $30 million we'll know for sure the franchise is dead. To be honest, I wouldn't be sad if this dies off. With the constant change in direction, casting, storytelling and even studios, they're pretty much ruined any value the brand had.

8. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I feel like I should be interested in this, but at the same time it really feels more like an obligation on my part. For some reason, I'm just not into it. I'll probably check it out when it hits HBO.

Supposedly Magic Mike pulled in slightly more for the opening night box office. But the two are doing pretty much equal business. I opted for the underdog and went to see Me And Earl And The Dying Girl, which I thoroughly enjoyed. Definitely happy with that decision, can't say I'm especially interested in either of the big box office titans this weekend.

9. thing

thing Well-Known Member

I can totally imagine people not being interested, the reaction to the trailer was pretty bad and the last two films have hardly built the fanbase

10. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

This one is definitely not for the "casual" fan; you have to be forgiving, albeit lightly, in several areas.

11. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Fuck the critics. I saw this last night and can't understand why it is getting so much flack. I thought it was fun. I especially loved the 80"s section which had the best scenes for me. I didn't think the actions scenes in the 2017 part were quite as good but overall I was pleasantly surprised at how entertaining this was.
    The trailer did ruin the John Conner reveal though, which would have felt different and more shocking had it not been spoilt.

12. rhett

rhett Administrator

As a die hard Terminator fan I intended to see this opening night, but a family emergency on opening day forced me to give away my IMAX tickets and kept me from seeing this for almost a month. I guess it is a little fitting that the 30 days of backup lost from the forums are the 30 days I wouldn't mind deleting from my own timeline either! Anyway, finally got to see it and I was smiling and entertained. I've been burned so often before going into revamps of my favorites series (Friday, Elm Street, Halloween, etc.) but this was one of the rare times where the revamp was respectful enough to the original for me to buy in, and unique enough that I could stay entertained. Here's my little stream of consciousness review from Letterboxd:

The first two are unassailable masterpieces. The third was a jokier retread of T2 but entirely missed the point. SALVATION had a good idea but the future looked more like GEARS OF WAR than the iconography established by Cameron in the first two films, and the re-writes left a film with two leads but no heart, logic or sense. GENISYS is a success in that it respects the original movies, and takes the time to call back upon and expand on the existing mythology (Dyson's kid running Cyberdine, the Polaroid picture, etc.) while also offering a new kind of story that isn't just your recycled chase movie from the first three. I loved seeing the future war done right at the start of this film, showing the original time travel from the perspective of the future. Recreating moments from the original, like the "a couple cans short of a six pack" punk encounter and the homeless guy getting his pants stolen was fun, big budget Sweding, and then running those timelines immediately off-course demonstrated that the movie wasn't comfortable just hitting all the beats from the original film. It gets less interesting the further away it strays from the original's mythology, and Jai Courtney's Bro Kyle Reese displays none of the regret, tactical confidence or humanity of Michael Biehn's portrayal. Even at its worst, though, it was still a fun ride through something that was familiar but at the same time fresh ("old, but not obsolete"). The movie even did a good job at explaining away a few of the plot holes from T2, like how metal can go through a time machine only if covered by flesh (the "baked potato" effect) or how the liquid metal Terminators need to have nano-CPU's programmed into them in order for them to function independently. For the first time since the ending of T2, I was actually a little emotionally taken aback when Arnold said his "Take care of my Sarah" line - the best thing in the movie is that relationship between Sarah and the Terminator, which is an ironic turn of fate considering how the Sarah of T2 would call the Terminator a potentially perfect father for John. Arnold and Emilia Clarke have good chemistry together, and are able to convey a familial bond while still playing by the rules of Terminators being unable to understand emotion (Jai Courtney had less emotion than the robots). This one doesn't have close to the heart or the sociological ideas of Cameron's movies, but it does have something, which is something this cyberdine-esque production line has lacked since 1992. It's near impossible to try and follow up those first two classics, but this has been Hollywood's best attempt yet - hopefully it's not the last.

13. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Was it just me, or did Arnie's Terminator actually...

...show some human emotions in the film?

Later on in the film, it seems that Arnie have been among humans for so long, that he has actually evolved into a "person"?
    During all those years, that he spent alone, in the 80:s/90:s, working with humans etc. he actually missed Sarah.
    He basically had a shrine with pictures and paintings, that she made for him.
    And also, when he was competing with Reese, at who was the fastest at re-loading the ammo, he gave a hint at a smile at Reese.

I think this was a nice and fitting evolution of his character :)

14. rhett

rhett Administrator

I think the smile thing that Arnie gives is explained best in the extended cut of T2, where he says it's his approximation of what human emotion is, rather than a genuine showing of emotion. I took all that stuff as being that he learned through all his contact with humans how humans show emotion and when they might need those signs reciprocated back, and that's what Arnold was doing in those moments in the film where he would react to Sarah or Kyle.

15. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

So this is the movie that the critics absolutely hated? I don't see it because I absolutely loved it.

I dug both Rises of the Machines and Salvation but this is a far better film. The CGI was far better than the trailers showed, the action was great, Arnie still has it as the terminator, loved Emila Clarke, Jai Courtney was hit or miss but not bad and as a big terminator fan there was several moments that had me smiling.

Buying the blu day 1.