"Tetsuo: The Iron Man" (Merged Tetsuo Threads)

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by Shannafey, Aug 26, 2002.

1. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    Tetsuo Films

Have any of you seen the 2 Tetsuo films? What can you tell me about them? Do you recommend them? I love a lot of the Japanese films I have been watching...ie Versus, Battle Royale, Junk, The Ring, etc.

2. 2D4EVER

2D4EVER Guest

I have Tetsuo 2. I want to see the first one but the DVD is really hard to find. Tetsuo 2 is insane. Once the action starts it never really stops. And the stop motion shit is fucking awesome. I recommed it. The ending is awesome as well but some may be offended I guess. If you've seen it you may know what I'm getting at.

Later all...

3. DVD Connoisseur

DVD Connoisseur Active Member

Tetsuo is an amazing movie. I've seen it on the big screen and own it on LD. Wild film - it's part Cronenberg, part cyber-punk, part Godzilla (in a bizarre sort of way).

The sequel is also amazing.

Recommended viewing!

4. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

Sounds like I'm going to track down 2 more Asian flicks for my growing collection.......

5. Shannafey

Thanks for the comments, guys. yumyumanime told me they were trying to find all region copies of the films. Amazon has the second one, but it's pricey. I hope I can track them down for a decent price. I, too am getting hooked on Japanese films.

6. DVD Connoisseur

DVD Connoisseur Active Member

You guys seriously need to go multi-region as the movies are readily available on R2. (See the Reverenddave's post re: the Bensonworld sale.)

7. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Aren't these films released on DVD by Manga Entertainment?

Reason I ask, is that I met some reps from that company at Comic-Con. They have since given me a disc to review, and if they're satisfied with the review, they'll probably supply more. If they do carry the Tetsuo films, I can definitely make an effort to see if they want us to post up some reviews...

8. Shannafey

Paff,
    That'd be great if you can do some reviews on Tetsuo, and other Manga films. It looks like myself and a lot of us on the forum are really getting into the whole Japanese scene. I never really enjoyed anime, but I have seen some lately, as well, as revisiting some old stuff, and am really starting to get into it, but definitely not as much as the live action Japanese films.

9. 2D4EVER

2D4EVER Guest

Tetsuo 2 and Tokyo Fist (by the same director...GET THAT ALSO!) are released by Manga but the original Tetsuo was released by someone else who I forget at the moment.

I'm trying to get a multi-region player now but I keep spending my money on dvds.:eek: Damn evil dvds!

Later all...

10. Gnaghi

Gnaghi Guest

yeah image released the first one manga second?... i think i've seen them mostly at borders but i can't recall... first time i ever saw tetsuo was on public access in the early 90s. it was an awesome flick... don't recall two that much... and i saw tokyo fist in the theatre but i only recall it being okay.

11. jeffschmidt

jeffschmidt Guest

I have Tetsuo 2 on VHS. I haven't watched it for at least a year, but I remember liking it. Typical Japanese craziness.

12. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

The Tetsuo films are severely overrated. The only reason I even pop the tape in is to watch Drum Struck, and I don't even think that's on the DVD.

13. Bods

Bods Guest

IIRC, Drum Struck was listed as being on the Tetsuo DVD, but was left off.

I love Shinya Tsukamoto's films. On top of Tetsuo 1&2 and Tokyo Fist, his Bullet Ballet, Hiroko The Goblin and Gemini (his most accessable work) are all worth seeing.

14. Jog

Jog Guest

Why aren't these on dvd?

Tokyo Fist is a great movie... if only because I think it is somewhat similar to what I would make if I had some money to make a film... and talent. :)

15. AlkanFan

AlkanFan Guest

Stay away from the domestic Tetsuo DVD at all costs. You'll be happier with the VHS; the quality's the same, it's much cheaper, and it includes DrumStruck.

16. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

My Tartan DVD of TETSUO looks quite good for a cheap b/w film shot in 16mm. It doesn't look much better than, let's say, Pi.

Haven't seen TETSUO 2 though.

I am pleased by some of Tartan's tranfers. Ring looked very good and so does Tetsuo. IDIOTS also looked good.
    But their DVD of Audition looked grainy and dark. It looked like shit actually, having seen the film in the big screen.

17. dvdasia62

dvdasia62 Guest

"Tetsuo: The Iron Man"

I just ordered this DVD from Bensonsworld. So guys, what am I in for? :)

18. aoiookami

aoiookami Demon Fetishist

a very strange and confusing movie..
    nonetheless its one of my favorite asian films, very dark and moody, overall I enjoyed it alot. it uses alot of stop-motion animation that looks very strange, and choppy in some parts, but I think it adds to the films style. I'm currently trying to find a copy of Tetsuo 2, but refuse to buy anything from Manga Ent.

19. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

Tetsuo 2 has nothing to do with the 1st movie, but it has a much bigger budget.

20. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

Crap.

Alot of people like it, I can't stand it. Watch Begotten instead.