Texas Chainsaw 3D Blu-ray/dvd on may 14th and it is packed

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by fceurich39, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Well, to me censorship would be altering the film for a tv viewing, toning down the existing print to make it viable for other mediums.
    If the footage is heretofore unreleased most people will accept the theatrical version as the finished product. Going back to the days of VHS, before special features and extended cuts, would that make every violent film released 'censored'. We are blessed to have dvd and blu-ray now to have access to alternate versions, twenty years ago this would have been a moot point.
    I get what you're saying totally though and you are right in terms of the classic definition of censorship, I just think this is miles away from the days of the BBFC cutting films to bits or seizing copies of 'Night of the Demon'.
    It's not like this film lacked gore in the first place, and for those who want more there is now a way to get it.
    Don't see the big deal.

2. highclassrob

highclassrob Member

Wait...doesn't the blu ray come with a digital copy? Therefore you'd get the unrated cut too? I know it would suck not to have a hard copy of it, but at least you'd get to see it. I will forever go with discs over digital downloads though. What the hell would I get signed at comiccon otherwise?

3. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

unfortunately censorship is still a problem, the BBFC pretty much play ball today, sure they cut some stuff but not like the level in the 80's 90's when the dreaded james ferman was in charge, it's the MPAA which is the problem, i'm pretty sure that the likes of texas 2013 and evil dead would get passed the BBFC uncut, the problem is these films go to the MPAA first, they get cut and the rest of the world has to suffer these edited editions, maybe there is not much cut from texas or evil dead but you know what I like to see them in the original state, yes there is an option for the uncut texas but it's an American exclusive download, there are no current plans for an uncut release anywhere else, at least if it was on the disc I would have a purchase option, at the moment it's torrent for me or nothing, have I seen texas yet, no, do I want to see it cut, no, from the start I knew it was cut and have been waiting for the uncut since.

4. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

interesting, that is certainly a possibility, I doubt it, but will wait and see.

5. deepred

deepred Member

I think it's this post that hots4 was referring to regarding MBV:

I agree w/ Chrismac though, as much as I don't want it to be true - digital is the way of the future. :(

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
  6. chrismac87

chrismac87 Zombie Eater

Depending on when this message was replied to, that could have been the case - as I said. I know for a while they weren't even sure what kind of shape the footage was going to be in so it was questionable if it was going to be part of the film. If this email was sent early on when they had just discovered the footage, it was entirely possible that was the plan to include is as a feature and not in the film.

However, as I said, no amount of complaining or protesting from fanboys is what got them to "change their minds". Once they found out the footage could be included - they did so. Simple as that.

7. Werewolf Vixen

Werewolf Vixen New Member

There is one problem with your logic here, despite downloads possibly being the wave of the future(which would be a shame in my opinion). If the studio were intent of luring people to digital only. Why would they waste so much money producing extra features for the physical dvd/blu-ray release edition, while the download is probably just the film only? That really doesn't make sense to me from a business standpoint.

Fans want the unrated version, but they also want all the extra features. They're spoiled in that way. So this is more likely a tactic for the studio to get more money out of fans, who will purchase both editions of the film.

Now maybe there was hardly anything gore-wise that was cut from the R version. I thought the uncut violence in TCM: The Beginning didn't make a huge difference since the R version was brutally violent and gruesome as it was, despite a couple 'obvious' MPAA cuts. What was added in terms of gore was pretty brief blink and you miss it stuff. So it was only the added character scenes that really made the unrated version of that film better. Meanwhile the uncut violence is just a special extra since it didn't make the film anymore effective to me than the R version which I was shocked by how brutal it was and surprised it was R rated when I saw it in theaters.

Either way, it would be ideal for both versions to be widely available on the physical media releases. dvds still sell quite well, and blu-rays are doing alright, but not great. New releases usually do pretty well. So I doubt many people will be even aware of the exclusive download only unrated cut of the film. Thus the studio will lose out on some money in this regard, which again is a stupid business move.

8. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Please tell me this is an error. I'm about to order this and everything I've read about it says it's the unrated director's cut for From Beyond, did I miss something?

As for Chainsaw, some of us hate and don't trust digital copies, so this is BS if true. Fuck the future if it means letting companies let us rent fucking air. Hopefully this is all a misunderstanding, or else I'll be joining others at the torrent sites.:)

9. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Yea, what the hell? Surely that's wrong info. I've got the UK disc on the way.

10. Anthropophagus

I fucked up, in my haste I mixed up the films. The guy on amazon is complaining about Phantasm II being the cut version, not From Beyond.
    Sorry about this, order away.

11. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Phantasm 2 has a cut version?

That's cool mate.

12. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Whew.:)
    Besides a workprint, I don't think there is an uncut Phantasm 2. Either that or none are cut depending on how you look at it.
    Can't wait for some Crampton in leather in HD!:D

13. evildeadfan123

evildeadfan123 Sam & Dean Winchester

I thought that From Beyond was the Uncut on Blu-Ray. Just purchased it last week, even it wasn't, still wanted From Beyond on Blu, to go with my Blu-Ray copy of Re-Animator.

14. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

btw the possession another lionsgate film has a unrated/uncut version and that came out in the uk dvd physical copy while the USA/Canada release both have the PG-13 version!!! as also Universal soldier day of reckoning not lionsgate but USA got screwed again!!! this is the reason I don't think evil dead remake will have 2 versions hope i'm wrong though!

15. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

here is a link that talks about it also spoke with dan yeager who played leatherface and he talked with the producer saying they were just putting out 2d/3d version of the theatrical release their was no unrated version!!! but this link below says there is

http://www.movie-censorship.com/news_en.php?ID=5295

16. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

I'll just wait and hope they release it uncut later on. Not in a rush to see this and digital download only is BS! Digital downloads won't take over physical disc any time soon, sales for Bluray have been doing nothing but going up the last few years and a lot of people still don't have good enough Internet in their areas. Come to Canada where it's $60 a month for like 17GB a month. Digital sales for movies are still a very small chunk of the overall sales. And I agree with that not paying for air comment. You never actually own digital comment as it can go away at any time.

As for Lions Gate being nothing but good to the horror genre, I disagree wholeheartedly! They are one of the worst companies out there with regards to sitting on catalog horror titles! The worst part is, they won't even make deals with companies like Scream Factory who want to release what they have. What horror catalog titles have they put out the last few years, those $10 budget titles where they threw a bunch of movies together are all that I can think of. And these were just cheap rush jobs, mostly fullscreen transfers, and completely barebones. If they don't think there is any money in DVD or Bluray sales, then they should license their titles to Scream who begs to differ. Makes no sense to jsut sit on them when they could make some easy short term money.

And no, Lions's Gate doesn't owe horror fans, or any fans in general anything, but we can express our opinions with our wallets. Consumers are what keep companies alive, and it doesn't look like they have been making the right decisions the last few years as they are slowly falling apart. This, even if just a small one, will just be another nail in their coffin. If they think releasing the unrated cut digitally only is going to do them any favours they are dead wrong. If they already have the unrated cut finished, why not throw it on disc and give people both options. Doing it this way is only going to get them a small amount of digital sales, which are again only a small part in overall home media sales, while the rest will just hold out and/ or download illegally. I can understand not wanting to spend the money to create an unrated cut, but if they already spent the money to create the cut only to throw it on iTunes, well that makes no sense.

In closing, whether it makes a difference or not, I'm not spending $25 for a rated cut knowing that there is an unrated (Director's Preferred) cut to download.

PS As for the MBV Unrated Version being released, I swear I remember reading that it wouldn't have happened without the fans demanding it. I'm pretty sure in the Q and A I saw with the Director he stated just that. Maybe he was just trying to get the fans on his side but take that as you will. They could have easily re-released the barebones DVD with some promos for the remake film (Like they do all the time!) but instead they chose to spend money and time finding and reinserting the deleted scenes. I find it hard to believe that the fans had nothing to do with that, as they weren't doing it to appease the Director. Do a small number of fans make a difference, no, but to think they don't hear the fans at all is ludicrous! It's been stated several times how fans outcries have made a difference with certain films getting released.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
  17. Anthropophagus

Yes, that was my point about the guy complaining about the Phantasm II blu-ray on amazon. Non-existent uncut version of Phantasm II, I just got it mixed up with From Beyond for some reason.
    So to clarify, as far as I know From Beyond is uncut. I got the Phantasm II and From Beyond releases confused, I messed up.

18. Drinkinstein

Drinkinstein Member

The Possession and Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning were both released UNCUT in Canada by alliance.

19. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Maybe we will get lucky and get the uncut version of this film as well, as I believe Alliance put out the other Chainsaw remakes here.

20. chrismac87

chrismac87 Zombie Eater

I hope you noticed for the "most part" in my previous statement. You can't argue that the titles LG has put effort into - outshine say something like Warner is putting out on just MOD.

The problem with your logic in licensing those films out, is it IS short term money - they get a small payment compared to what they'll make just putting out the films themselves. And I'm sorry, but did anyone here honestly think GHOULIES III or CHUD II deserved full blown special editions and/or Blu Ray releases?

Sure those are both fun films with cult followings but c'mon, gimme a break, not every film in the genre is going to get a loaded special edition nor do they necessarily deserve it. Sure you can argue that there are fans for those films and others that would like special editions - but again, they're not focusing on the handful of people who will drop down $15-20 on a special edition DVD/Blu Ray. They're focused on the general movie buyer who goes to Wal Mart just to see what's in the $5 bin - and getting 6-8 films for $5 is a steal for the general consumer. Especially when there's titles they recognize amongst the others.

You can argue all you want what Lionsgate is doing is wrong, that they're falling apart at the seams - but last time I checked, they had ten films slated for theatrical release, not to mention the hundreds they have coming to DVD/Blu Ray. As a matter of fact, I seem to recall when MGM filed for bankruptcy - Lionsgate was one of the companies who was going to put in a bid for them.

And again, with MBV - there was 20 years of fans screaming for those scenes, so I'm sure that's what the director meant when he said the fans had something to do with it. Do you guys have any idea how much a restoration like that costs? Do you honestly think because of a few thousand people compared to millions complaining was why they went ahead and spent more money restoring those scenes into the film??? That interview clearly states it was the intention all along, they just weren't sure of the condition of the elements until they saw them so it would have been questionable if they could be restored. Make no mistake, if those film elements were in worse shape - they wouldn't have been in the film because it would have cost twice as much to put them back in. I'm sure LG considered it would certainly boost their sales with the genre fans if those scenes were included, but it wasn't "the final nail in the coffin" for them.