Texas Chainsaw Massacre- Dvd?

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by Michael, Oct 23, 2003.

1. Michael

Michael Guest

I have read conflcting reviews of the new special edition DVD. One report has the transfer as terrible and others claims that the film has never looked better.

Anyhone get a chance to check this disc out? How does it look?

2. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Probably the same as the old version, i.e. not as good as the laserdisc. I'm pretty sure the new disc is a re-packaging of the old Pioneer SE.
    It looks alright, but check old threads for everyone's beefs with the transfer, it's too much to get into again.

3. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

i read a review of this dvd on dvd.ign.com and they said it was the same as the original pioneer. they even included screenshots, and the menu looks exactly the same, as well as shots of the movie (quality wise). Pioneer is obvisiously cashing in on the remake with this release. i was really hoping for a new transfer as their transfer isn't the greatest.

4. The transfer is terrible....and it's the best the movie has ever looked. For most people that is, it's better than any VHS version I've ever seen but it's not a good transfer. Then again I think the student film look adds to the charm of the film so....

5. bruce h

bruce h Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

As mentioned above, the disc is simply a repackaging of Pioneer's older DVD to cash in on the remake - it's not even really the 30th Anniversary of the film!

The rights are getting ready to revert back to New Line, just in time for the real 30th Anniversary. Take from that what you want.

6. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I'm still naive in rights issues and such. How exactly do the rights go back to New Line? And how did Pioneer get them to begin with?

EDIT: Another thing. Does this mean that New Line could possibly get the rights back to Evil Dead? Not saying we need another DVD or anything.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2003
  7. JW77

JW77 Support Halliburton

8. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

To me, the transfer wasn't too bad... but then again, the movie has NEVER looked good. I also thought the Pioneer transfer was a tad too dark during night scenes... I could barely see a thing when Sally and Franklin are going through the woods!

9. Bad_Ronald_1983

Bad_Ronald_1983 New Member

I picked it up. The transfer isnt too bad, and its the same just a diff cover.

Word
    Matt

10. etale

etale Guest

Guess I'll just hold onto my copy of the Pioneer edition.

11. dwatts

dwatts New Member

It's obviously not worth buying anew.

I am critical of many transfers, but this isn't one of them. It's definately not "terrible". It's an old film shot in 16mm, and for that it looks great. I love this DVD, although I own the old version.