Texas Chainsaw Massacre New Special Edition 2 Dvd Set On The Way

Discussion in 'General' started by fceurich39, Feb 4, 2005.

1. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

Okay, I had the chance to check out this awesome set earlier and I have to say that this is one of the best transfers--if not THE best--that I've seen for a gritty horror film from this era. If all you're used to is the terrible Pioneer transfer or previous VHS releases, you will be blown away, as I was. It's obvious that Don May really put his heart and soul into making this film look as good as it possibly can. I doubt it even looked this good during the original theatrical release!

I didn't actually watch the film all the way through (I'll be doing that later ;)) but I did watch the two documentaries featured on the second disc, "The Shocking Truth" and "Flesh Wounds". "The Shocking Truth" is very good and offers plenty of entertaining tidbits of information and comments from the cast and crew. It was nice to see Marilyn Burns (looking as lovely as ever!) and the rest of the cast sharing their experiences on the set. However, though this documentary runs an hour and fifteen minutes, it still feels incomplete and seems to just skim the surface of the making of the film.

The second documentary, "Flesh Wounds", is even better and makes a great companion piece to "The Shocking Truth". "Flesh Wounds" doesn't contain nearly as much information nor as many interviews, but it is so well edited and put together and the interviewees are so interesting to listen to, and that makes up for this documentaries' shortcomings. The hilarious interviews with Edwin Neal and Gunnar Hansen are the standouts, and there is a touching little tribute to the cast and crew who have since passed away (Paul Partain, Jim Siedow, and Robert Burns). I predict that the director of this documentary, Michael Felscher, is going to have an impressive career in this genre if he keeps at it. This is certainly one of the best documentaries I have ever seen that focuses on a single film.

Of course, there are still plenty of features on this set that I've yet to check out (and some that I've already seen because I owned the Pioneer DVD release) but I'm saving those for later. :)

Oh and as far as what Mortis mentioned about missing discs/floaters, both of my discs were in the case and both were securely attached to the spindle. As I said, the packaging is beautiful.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2006
  2. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

damn...I was going to hold off on this release for awhile, but I'm finally sold after reading the comments here and taking a look at those clips. Fuck me for needing the best versions of everything.:fire:

:D

3. Paul0889

Paul0889 New Member

can anyone test out their disc's 5.1 track during the scene where Leatherface pops up on Franklin and Sally, to see if her screaming is missing while Franklin is chainsawed. I tested out my disc and then went to Blockbuster to rent a copy of theirs to see if it was the same and it was. she screams for a few seconds then when they cut back to her her mouth is wide open and no scream in heard. then you hear it again for a second and goes in and out, almost like it's choppy. then almost the entire chase scene in the woods, you don't hear her scream just the chainsaw. this is only on the 5.1 and 2.0 stereo tracks.

4. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

It's the same on mine as well. On there's one point on ALL of the audio options, even in mono, where she's running through the woods and you can't hear her scream. I sold my old copy before I bought the new one so I can't compare between the two if it had been changed.

5. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

Mine hasn't come in yet, but I'm hoping everything's cool when I get it. I read about those issues over at DVD Talk.

It looks like TCM and ANoES are both changed in places when it comes to the sound. :(

6. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

I tested it last night and it's the same on my disc, too. Oh well... the mono track sounds the best on my TV anyway because I don't have fancy speakers. :D

7. Paul0889

Paul0889 New Member

ahhhhh this pisses me the fuck off, because the mono track is fucked up in some places as well(the second squish noise when kirk is hit is gone, the noise of sally crashing through the trees and hitting the ground when she jumps out the first window is gone). first nightmare on elm street and now tcm, this sucks ass

8. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Well.... What can you do? It's strange that it happened, but it's not enough to ruin the movie for me. Still a damn fine release, IMO.

9. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

Although these things may or may not be missing, I watched the film and had no problem enjoying it in this release. Fantastic packaging, and the transfer is awesome. The extras really take it over the top. I'm happy.

10. DanceEnergy24

DanceEnergy24 New Member

I guess from now on I'll be questioning whether or not to buy another DVD. There is no excuse for studios screwing up on these ultimate editions. I had this release on my list of DVDs to purchase along with the Infinifilm Elm Street. It seems that both have changes in their audio tracks. Inexcuseable! On the Elm Street board I noted other messed up DVDs including Friday the 13th, Sleepaway Camp, Happy Birthday to Me, and The Crush. I still might purchase this for the extras even though I have the R2 Special Edition which has The Shocking Truth doc also. What is so hard about having an ultimate edition within one package which has the best picture, the best extras and CORRECT audio tracks?

11. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

Oh come on people. It's not the end of the world! Dark Sky did such an amazing job on this set overall, how can you complain about a few minor changes in the audio?? Ridiculous.

12. DanceEnergy24

DanceEnergy24 New Member

People can complain because it's their hard-earned money they're shelling out. Sure, if I could get this for free then I wouldn't complain at all. But if you're under the assumption that you're purchasing something that hasn't been tampered with or changed in any way, then it's money well spent.

13. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

Guess I'll just keep my R2 SE for now and hope that another release has corrected audio. It's not like it won't be released a few more times in the next ten years; how many incarnations has it had already???

14. fridayfan13

fridayfan13 Guest

wow......just wow

i went to walmart to buy it today, all 5 copies they had were packaged wrong. they all had two feature dvds, and no bonus feature dvds. i ended up getting a good one at fye

15. It's me Billy

It's me Billy New Member

Despite the small audio problems - and they are small when compared to the really noticeable audio changes on the Infinifilm Nightmare DVD -, Dark Sky's DVD is still leaps and bounds ahead of every other Chainsaw DVD out there. You're not going to find a better video transfer than the one on Dark Sky's disc. None of the others even come close. The Elite/Pioneer transfers may have been satisfactory in 1996/1998, but they're way below average now, especially since they're non-anamorphic. The Pioneer transfer was never the finished project from the get-go, so it's really piss-poor quality in 2006.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2006
  16. DanceEnergy24

DanceEnergy24 New Member

Uggh! Fine! LOL I may have to look into getting this DVD afterall and just see if the audio problems bother me all that much. Same with Infinifilm Elm Street.

17. Korngold

Korngold New Member

Despite the audio problem, is there any reason to keep the pioneer dvd release? Or does this dark sky release just head and shoulders above it?

18. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

The Pioneer release is obsolete because everything was carried over to the Dark Sky release. The picture and sound is better and there are even more extras than before so yes, it is definitely head and shoulders beyond the previous DVD.

19. Bad_Ronald_1983

Bad_Ronald_1983 New Member

Audio problems are present on my disc too. Checked them with my old Video Treasures VHS, and there are def. audio mishaps.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2006
  20. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I didn't notice the problems, then again I haven't remembered each every scream that Marilyn Burns wailed out. Either way, any cons with this set are outweighed by pros just by the packaging alone.