Texas Chainsaw Massacre New Special Edition 2 Dvd Set On The Way

Discussion in 'General' started by fceurich39, Feb 4, 2005.

1. It's me Billy

It's me Billy New Member

Depending on how you look at it, Dark Sky's Chain Saw DVD is either the second or third Region 1 NTSC DVD release of the film.

On October 6, 1998, Pioneer released their DVD

On October 14, 2003, Pioneer reissued the DVD in an effort to cash in on the remake (most people don't consider this a new release because it was the same disc from 1998 with different cover art.)

On September 26, 2006, Dark Sky's DVD was released

That really isn't a lot of releases when you consider that they came in a span of eight years. And I don't think we'll be seeing another DVD release of Chain Saw. More than likely, the next release will probably be HD DVD and/or Blu-ray.

I'd say the transfer is the big selling point, but I agree with you. The packaging is very nice.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2006
  2. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

I finally bought this. Guess how much I paid?

I'll give you a hint: Somewhere between $7.98 and $8.00.

3. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

You cheap bastard! :lol:

4. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

:D We had three copies for rental at work. No one rented them from the day it came out, so they PV'd two copies. So basically I paid $7.99 (with my discount) for a brand new TCM set. Only difference between this and one on the shelf is that there are stickers around the ring of the discs. Easily removed, of course.

5. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

I consider the 2003 a separate release, myself. And three R1 plus a couple of R2 releases (I am region-free, so I count those as well) and I'm fairly certain we'll see a corrected version in HD over the next 4 or 5 years. I'll stick with my R2 SE.

Still a bummer though. :(

6. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

I just finished watching the supplements on disc 2 last night. The documentaries were fantastic! It was great to see all of the participation from so many cast and crew members. Pretty funny to watch star Caroline Williams from Texas Chainsaw 2 and Jeff Burr director of part 3 be brutally honest and throw around the F-word so freely in their frustration with their respective sequels. Also great to see an excerpt of Bill Moseley in the Texas Chainsaw Manicure short film.

7. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    Due to hearing some issues with the new audio of Chainsaw 1, I think I'll definitely get this DVD...and since I sold my Elite LD :( and my Pioneer DVD I shall make it my mission to seek out that fine old Wizard VHS :)

8. Korngold

Korngold New Member

Awesome! Thanks Ryan. Now the only question is do I sell the pioneer dvd or keep it because of the minor audio problems.

I just watched the movie and I didn't notice audio difficulties, but I wasn't really paying attention to them either. It really is a beautiful transfer. It also gives me hope that Don May was a consultant on the resortation and he may oversee the transfer of this new Halloween dvd.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2006
  9. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    That's cool with me, too. Changes, shmanges...finally this gets a great DVD release.

10. onebyone

onebyone Guest

I still have some extras to get through because there are so many, but I am very happy with this DVD package. I prefer the sound on the last R2 release, but this release is better in all other aspects. The picture was a big upgrade from past editions of the movie. I didn't think it could look so good while keeping its authentic feel, but I was quite wrong.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2006
  11. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

I always keep older versions of DVDs for comparison purposes [plus, I love the "hamburger" cover of my old Pioneer disc.] I didn't notice any problems while viewing the Dark Sky disc, and the packaging was great. I had THE SHOCKING TRUTH on a VHS dupe that I'd purchased years ago, but it's nice to have it on DVD, and the new documentary is great. I always said that the extras alone made this worth buying, but I actually watched the feature tonight and it blew me away with how good it looked [and this is coming from someone who never really had very many problems with the Pioneer disc.]
    I think it's pretty safe to say that this is my pick for best DVD of 2006. This release does for TCM what the Millennium Edition does for NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD.

12. NIN

NIN Member

Here is a comparison, Darksky, Elite LD and Pioneer DVD

Darksky DVD
    [​IMG]

Elite LD
    [​IMG]

Pioneer DVD
    [​IMG]

13. kyouki

kyouki Guest

This release is an absolute treasure! It comes in a beautiful case, and the picture has been cleaned up so well that I sat there in awe throughout the entirety of the movie. In the past I've had both the Pioneer R1 and the anamorphic R2 release... but this one easily blows them out of the water. I didn't notice any problems with the audio. The clarity, the color, I can't see how this movie could look any better... in fact, much like the Millenium edition of Night of the Living Dead, I'm sure this is the best this movie has ever looked!

14. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Man, I had no intention of buying this as I was happy with my Pioneer version (the one before the meat re-issue), but those screenshots are probably gonna make Tuesday a Texas Chainsaw 2-step.
    WOW is about all I can add.

15. DanceEnergy24

DanceEnergy24 New Member

Just watched the new transfer. Better colors and shaper details. Not sure if anyone has already mentioned this but the 5.1 track is also missing some of the chainsaw sounds as Franklin is killed along with Sally's screams.

16. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I thought they did an excellent job on the release. The transfer looks golden and the extras are more than plentiful.

The audio issues didn't really bother me at all while watching the film.

17. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami

Same with me bigdaddy!!!

18. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Managed to hold off on this so far (since it wasn't on sale it made it easier) as I've been buying too many dvds recently anyway.
    As soon as I see one discounted or used, it's probably on though.
    Just for future reference if I find one used, are there any inlays/chapter cards? I hate when used discs don't have all the stuff there!