Thanksgiving means King Kong

Discussion in 'General' started by shape22, Nov 22, 2012.

1. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

The King Kong Blu-ray book is $10.99 at Amazon right now! Perfect timing for those who don't have it yet.

2. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

My Thanksgiving weekend viewing:

11/27 Mystery Science Theater 3000: Godzilla vs. Megalon (1973)
    11/29 The Giant Claw (1957)
    11/29 Mystery Science Theater 3000: Night of the Blood Beast (1958) [w/ Turkey Day Marathon '95 skits]
    11/30 Saurians (1994)
    11/30 King Kong (1933)

I watched MST3k of Time of the Apes a few nights before too, I guess that counts. This is becoming a weird tradition of sorts watching giant apes and dinosaurs doing battle but I'm loving it.

Damn, I kept thinking to post a new thread but I could have just posted in here that Joel was hosting a fresh new Turkey Day Marathon for Shout Factory Thanksgiving Day! I couldn't watch with my family so I'm hoping somewhere we'll be able to see it again.

3. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    I watched Godzilla Final Wars!!

4. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

This year I broke from watching Godzilla films and watched all 5 of the classic Planet of The Apes films.

5. shape22

The Kong Blu-ray book has plunged to $9.96 at Amazon. If you've been waiting I'd say the time is now.

6. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

It's that time of the year again! I've decided to break out the MST3k Gamera boxset this season. I've also just upgraded Godzilla vs. King Kong on Blu-ray as that's dipped to $7.50 on Amazon (Escapes is still just above $10). Maybe I'll work my way through the Planet of the Apes boxset on Black Friday. I still haven't watched the new ones.

7. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

Last year It was the original Planet of The Apes series. This year I'm going with Kong, Son Of Kong and Mighty Joe Young. Friday I'll probably watch some Godzilla and Gamera.

8. shape22

Who's ready to roll tomorrow? With the release of The Special Effects Collection it's now possible to watch King Kong, Son of Kong, and Mighty Joe Young all in HD. That's my tentative plan.

9. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

^Excellent plan. I'll be working my way through:
    [​IMG]

Shout is having another Turkey Day marathon for the #BringBackMST3K the Kickstarter campaign. I've already dropped enough in for the Blu-ray option on the Kickstarter:

10. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Steel76 likes this.
  11. Zillamon51

Zillamon51 Member

Just finished watching America's Thanksgiving Day Parade (that's what they call it) here in Detroit. I miss the days when they used to follow it up with a couple of Godzilla flicks (some combination of the ones from the UPA / Classic Media library). Oh well, I guess that's why us old fogies hang on to all our shiny discs.

12. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

http://www.mst3kinfo.com/?p=23419#comments

Svengoolie will be showing The Land Unknown the Saturday evening before, which means I'll be watching it on replay the Saturday morning after Thanksgiving so that'll be perfect for my weekend plans. I think I'll watch Black Scorpion for the first time without(or with) MST3K as I want to get the full Willis O'Brien effect. I may throw on The Giant Behemoth too while I'm at it.

indrid13 likes this.
  13. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

I watch The 7th Voyage of Sinbad faithfully every Thanksgiving since it used to be played on television when I was very young.

X-human likes this.
  14. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Harryhausen's a good pick too! But that's always true.:cool:

Well I just watched The Monster That Challenged The World the other week and then the commentary with Ted Newsom which mentioned it was beat for beat THEM so I'm in the mode for that tonight from the HD set with Son of Kong and Mighty Joe Young. I think I nearly fell asleep last Thanksgiving trying to watch King Kong when I got home, so maybe I'll save that for Black Friday. And I keep NOT watching Black Scorpion. I MUST watch that this year.

And my sister invited me over early tomorrow to watch MST3K's Turkey Day Marathon Shout will be streaming. Crossing my fingers for a Season 12 announcement!

15. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I did a bit too much shopping Friday and so got to watching King Kong a bit late, and fell asleep again; right after Kong was knocked out on the island. Then woke up again just as Kong plucked the woman out the window only to drop her like a hot mic. I need to stop doing this to myself! If I'm going to fall asleep during a Thanksgiving marathon it should at least be on Son of Kong. o_O

But I finally, FINALLY, watched The Black Scorpion. I had mislaid it and probably spent over an hour trying to find it. But I was bound and determined; the impetus being that I've been holding off watching the MST3k version until I watched the original Willis O'Brien version. I was pleasantly surprised by how entertaining it was. I had not heard good things about it and it is literally MST3k fodder so I was prepared for the worst. Like many monster movies its slow to the reveal but the two lead actors had good interplay between each other so it was usually amusing. Then once the monsters showed up it was a virtual smorgasbord of stop motion effects (and some puppets [which are still welcome]). Their was a King Kong flair to the expressive scorpions and the battle between creature reminiscent of Kong vs. T-Rex. Wish I'd seen this sooner and hope a blu-ray is in our near future as I won't waste my money on a MOD DVD-R.

And I'm ashamed to say that while I knew I'd seen Mara Corday I did not recognized her from Tarantula which I watched just last month on Svengoolie and The Giant Claw which I watch almost every Thanksgiving!
    [​IMG]
    Although she was Miss October in the pages of Playboy I think she can give Fay Wray a run at the title for Miss November. :D