that damned dvd rot

Discussion in 'General' started by nullman, Jan 13, 2015.

1. nullman

nullman Member

I just noticed that on my copy of 24 season 4 disc 6 does not play episodes 3 and 4. I bought this set when it was first released and it played fine. Now I have tried it on various blu and dvd players and get the same result. The disc is spotless. Does anyone here know fox's customer service number? Probably would do no good since its fox.

2. booper71

booper71 Lord of the Thighs.

No such thing anymore as pristine flawless media, even if you went Vudu, or UV, if they took film off service and your copy went corrupt, you'd be out.

3. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I had an issue with a defective DVD (skipping/freezing/pixilating) in the Batman: The Animated Series boxset. Warner was great about sending a replacement after I returned the bad disc. I'm sure Fox will be just as accommodating.

4. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    Every company needs to back their product. DVDs should last for years without any problems.

5. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

6. Christy

Christy Member

My Kingdom Hospital disc 4 doesn't work nor has it ever worked. Lucky for me I found it sold separately so it was fixable well sort of.

7. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

This might sound like a silly question but how come cds don't suffer from disc rot?

8. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

CDs can definitely also suffer from disc rot. It's rare and generally happened to discs from certain "cheap" manufacturers, but it has and does happen.

9. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Since I have a pretty extensive cd collection that is pretty unnerving.
    I've only had a couple of cds so far that inexplicably started skipping always in the same spots.
    That sucks, I always thought the digital media for cd at least was almost perfect.
    Thanks for letting me know.

10. Katatonia

It's generally certain runs from a certain manufacturer that are prone to rotting, like PDO discs.

I really wouldn't worry too much about it though. I own thousands of CD's, and have yet to encounter any signs of rot. I also have a few CD's in my collection that were manufactured in '82-'83 when they first came out, and they still play fine.

11. Shannafey

Same with me. I already ripped my whole collection to MP3.

12. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Aren't CD's single layer, and 99% of rotting dvds are dual layer, and the glue holding the layers comes apart and causes the rot which makes them not work? That was always my semi-educated theory, and I know the dvd rot thing is correct from reading up on it and worrying about some of my rare shit rotting. Just not sure about CD specs. I know they die a lot less, although I haven't played one in years since ripping my whole collection to mp3 also.

13. Katatonia

CD's are always single layer, but there are distinct differences between CD and DVD disc structure. Here's a good explanation: http://www.clir.org/pubs/reports/pub121/sec3.html

Disc rot can have varied causes, and layer seperation is just one type of rot that's cause is generally always just bad manufacturing. It's usually because of oxidation that rotting happens.

A Full Moon Blu-ray I had rot within 6 months was just a single-layer disc.

14. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

That's why I back up most of my movies onto a hard drive. With how small hard drives are and how easy it is to rip media these days, it was a no brainer for me. It took me like a single day to get everything on the hard drive. I don't rip all of the extras, but I at least have a copy of the film itself in case the disc takes a crap and I can't purchase a new copy. Well worth the time IMO.

That being said, it would be cool companies should have some kind of exchange program set up for this, even if it's a discount on a new copy. I think the problem for them would be verifying that the malfunctioning disc was their fault and not the customer's.

15. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

That's just ridiculous. If a disc stops working ten years later, ok fine, it's an old disc, but six months? Awful. I've had dvd's that I've burned on my laptop in high school last longer than that.

16. Katatonia

Apparently everbody's copy eventually rotted from what I've read. And the ironic thing is that it was a "replacement disc" for incorrect audio (Puppet Master) on the original release.

I tried it in multiple drives after I read about the problem on another forum... and sure enough mine would no longer load or play on any of my drives.

I emailed Full Moon about it, but never got any response. :rolleyes:

17. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Sounds about right. Charles Band couldn't respond because he's too busy pressuring women onstage into showing people their breasts.

18. Shannafey

They've actually been incredible about responding in the past few months. I got a scratched up DVD and they told me to keep it and just sent me a replacement. Recently they had a 50% sale, but their shipping was outrageous, so I emailed them about that and they told me they would ship it media mail at exact cost if I just emailed them the order and card number. They've been great!

19. gobad2003

gobad2003 Active Member

I sold my Blu-ray's of subspecies after I looked at them and discovered they're actually BD-R's and not actually pressed copies. I went ahead and got the 88 film versions and am very pleased with those. I would never order from Full Moon again they are total rip-off artists. Fuck you Charlie Band and the horse you rode in on :fuck:

20. Katatonia

Well, that's cool if they've improved again. They used to be good like that whenever I had a problem, but that whole disc rot issue left me kinda pissed at them.